Another one on NC .. the KJV

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Another one on NC .. the KJV

Postby Quitosam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:29 am

jay_p wrote:The assertion is that the KJV is the only Valid version. Any other translation is "a perversion." and IF you are going to translate the bible into NON-English Versions they must be translated from the KJV to the other language. Not translated directly from original sources. Yeah... If I understand the argument by the original poster the KJV is superior to the source greek and Hebrew texts. I admit I might be wrong about that.

I go to a King James church so I asked about this. There really are people who believe that the KJV translation is Inspired I suspect most of them would also teach against alcohol. But Jesus turned water into wine, and wine is the word God inspired....oops. "somethin's gota give"
Quitosam
Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:23 am

Don 't you know nuffin'? Except for the stuff in the verses where wine makes you drunk, wine - the kind Paul recommends that used for communion and what the Lord served at the wedding - means "grape juice". So I have been officially informed.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jay_p » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:36 am

Petros wrote:Don 't you know nuffin'? Except for the stuff in the verses where wine makes you drunk, wine - the kind Paul recommends that used for communion and what the Lord served at the wedding - means "grape juice". So I have been officially informed.

Yeah.. I was taught that one at one point as well.

I think there are people who ACTUALLY do believe it genuinely.
jay_p
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:55 am

Quitosam wrote:
jay_p wrote:The assertion is that the KJV is the only Valid version. Any other translation is "a perversion." and IF you are going to translate the bible into NON-English Versions they must be translated from the KJV to the other language. Not translated directly from original sources. Yeah... If I understand the argument by the original poster the KJV is superior to the source greek and Hebrew texts. I admit I might be wrong about that.

I go to a King James church so I asked about this. There really are people who believe that the KJV translation is Inspired I suspect most of them would also teach against alcohol. But Jesus turned water into wine, and wine is the word God inspired....oops. "somethin's gota give"

I recently listened to a podcast on why Shakespeare should be modernized for all but those scholars that understand spoken 1600s English. I was surprised how many words she went through that I would have misunderstood. That isn't my biggest issue, however.

I'm not sure any translation has tried hard to translate the Ancient Near East meaning of the Bible for some of the more theological passages... Because of that, we tend to misread things. For instance, Paul wrote to the Corinthians that a woman's long hair is her glory and should be covered. Why is that? Does that mean that a short haircut is wrong or are we missing something or that a woman without a hat is indecent? Some scholars are arguing that the reason for this is not about the length of her hair or what was on their head but because they believed that the hair was part of the reproductive system of women.

If this is true, our beliefs about hair length in churches or the head covering traditions that have split churches are rather silly...
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity