Luke 14:26

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Luke 14:26

Postby firefighter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:49 am

Ok we have found a Church YEA! Were doing a 6 week study based on the book Follow Me by David Platt. This has been very challenging. Anyway we are in week 4 and I had a question about Luke 14:26 And Jesus said: "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children,his brothers and sisters-yes, even his own life-he cannot be my disciple.:?
Now I asked our small group leader about that last night and he really didn't have a answer. I won't see the Pastor until next Saturday when we are working the new building. So HELP! I told the leader that I could never hate my wife and family. That also kinda goes agaisnt the command to love your neighbor as yourself.

Jim
firefighter
Native Resident

Re: Luke 14:26

Postby Petros » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:43 am

For what it is worth -

the majority of languages do not normally [I am not saying they can't if they feel like it] differentgiate grades of [dis]affection. We are used to contrasting liked / love /want and dislike / hate / reject - a lot of languages rely on context and common sense to decide where to go.

Even in English, we know "I love that book" is not "I love my children" is not "I love my wife" is not "I love my neighbour".

Add in to that the fact that Jesus not infrequently speaks emphatically using extreme language, and I take it as "you got to cut your affect ties to everybody and everything and follow."

Compare Matthew 6:24, where differentiating terms are added in, and Mark 10:7, which surely adequately describes the process of leaving our worldly ties and cleaving to Christ
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:43 pm

I think that Petros is pretty close to hitting the nail on the head.

Our love for our Eternal, Everlasting, Omnipotent, Onmiscient and Omnipresent God should so overshadow our love for everything and everyone on this plane that the love for anything on this plane would look like "hate". If ever we are demanded to choose between anything or anyone on this plane and God, our love should be so intense that we would choose God without even a second thought. My wife and I constantly need to remind each other that, although we love each other far more than any other person we know, God the Father, Jesus the Son and God the Holy Spirit need to be our FIRST love.

There is an "optical illusion" in which a dark gray block is located inside a white field. Generally, people perceive it to be a black block. Then the same gray box is moved to a jet black field. Generally, people them perceive it to be a white block. Our love for God could be compared to the white field and our love for people could be compared to the gray block.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby firefighter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:35 pm

AAA! Now I understand. Thank you Petros and natman. :D

Our small group leader was trying to explain it like this but just didnt quite get it clear enough.
firefighter
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 am

Explaining is a very special skill some of us never develop. Comes with practice, though.

I had ONE professor - not without his blind spots, but he had one incredible talent - no matter how poorely I expressed myself he could always [had nothing to do with did he agree] sort out what I meant and show me howe to say it so it could be understood. I have tried VERY hard to come close.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity