How many have seen a miracle??

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

How many have seen a miracle??

Postby MoNatureMan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:43 am

We were visiting a small church one Sunday and my wife and I felt we should make a gift to help them get the Air Conditioner fixed. We did not expect anything in return. We just felt that was what God wanted us to do.
At the same time I had an alternator going out on my car. I knew what was wrong and I knew I would have to fix it.

Amazingly the alternator fixed itself.

I know cars, electronic and mecanical and that does not happen. That alternator ran without any more problems, at least until we got rid of the car many years later.

I suspect many of us have had miracles in our lives and didn't recognise it.
I was wondering how many have seen (or recognised) a miracle in their life?

In Him:cross:

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Re: How many have seen a miracle??

Postby jasenj1 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:44 am

Some may count the below as "just lucky" but I do not.

I was driving to church early one morning recently. I was behind a person in a red convertible with the top down. I felt they were driving a bit slower than I wanted to go, so I moved into the left lane and started to pass them.

Just then, a buck deer ran out across the road (I've never seen a deer on this section of road before or since). Both the other driver and I slammed on our brakes. Then the doe came bounding out; she ran right in front of my truck and ricocheted off my front bumper. The doe skidded down the road a bit, got up and staggered off into the woods.

My front grill was broken and the bumper bent, but there was NO damage to the radiator or other parts behind the grill. If my truck had not been there, the doe would have either smashed into the front of the convertible, or jumped INTO it.

Miracles in the situation:
1. If the buck had not run out first, I would have been going full speed and not decelerating. Surely my truck would have taken far more damage.

2. If my truck had not been exactly where it was, surely the car would have taken a lot of damage - and the driver possibly injured if the doe rolled over the top of the car.

3. If I had been behind the other car, there's a good chance I would have plowed into the back of it as he slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the buck.

I did not speak to the other driver - I probably should have. We pulled up to a stop light just after the incident and made "you OK? I'm OK. Wow, that was crazy" gestures towards each other. I fully believe God used my truck to protect the other driver, and arranged the situation so that no serious damage was done to my truck.

- Jasen.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:53 am

Much depends on definitions and expectations. The stock in trade of "miracle ministries" is limited to the "how do you explain THAT" type - and even so the opposition can murmur "placebo" or "mass hysteriia" or "fake".

I just missed a "miracle" one trip - a girl who had never walked prayed over, started crying because here legs were mopving and it was strange, and I was not theree, heard about it later. But then I was being spoonfed responses to gambitys from our sceptical interpreter.

I would say, it is a miracle if it is unexpected and gets our attention. Here is one. I have always been one to spot and pick up coins on the ground. One day, I am walking along with a friend, explaining how God has lately been timing coin finds to chime in with and confoirm my prayrful ponderings. "Like this," I said, "and picked up the shiny new coin lying right in my path just as I said that. Very neat timing.

I could list more at both the "Wow, but there must be an explanation" and the "Big hairy deal, so you found a dime" ends of the spectrum. Point is, he is there, talking and doing stuff. We just need to stop, look, listen.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:31 am

It was a winter morning in the Virginia foot hills and an ice storm had coated everything with a good quarter inch of ice firmly adhered to everything and then it rained on it. You could be standing still one minute and suddenly your feet would slide out from under you. I found that I could move by taking only 6 inch steps with my feet close together.

Several of us had just helped someone who really lacked the skills to be driving in that weater, to get his car up the mild grade to the corner where he needed to turn to go get to his mother.

We had been working on getting a car out of the ditch by human effort and had just pretty much succeeded when the other driver came back around the corner from his mother's house. But he was driving way to fast for the conditions, probably all of 5 to 10 mph. He barely kept it on the road as he came around the corner, but he obviously could not stop or steer.

I was standing behind the car that we had just extricated from the ditch and started to do my 6 inch shuffle to try to make it to safety. He was sliding directly toward the rear of that car and even though he was trying to stop he was gaining speed on that slight grade. He was close, maybe 10 feet, and I was about to become "the filling in a car sandwich"!

I uttered the shortest and one of the most fervent prayers I can recall I ever did. I simply said "Oh My God" and suddenly I leapt (or it seemed that it was I that was trying to do the leaping) on that incredibly slick ice, and I landed on the other side of the ditch on my back, 6 to 10 feet away. I simultaniously heard the crash behind me.

The stationary car was crumpled with bent metal from the back bumper across the trunk and into the rear windshield frame. not smashed flat or anything like that but enough that it is doubtful that there was an entirely unbent piece of metal behind the rear axle.

Now if you can only carefully take a 6 inch step at a time on a sloping wet iced street surface, then taking a 6 to 10 foot leap is more than an order of magnitue larger, (if a leap it was). As a result of that prayer answered by such a miracle, I am to this day offended by those who toss around the phrase "Oh, My God" so loosely or the abbreviation OMG.

"...the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." (Rom 8:26) and I suppose my need in that situation was something that could not be uttered due to time constraints beyond the 3 fervent words that I had managed.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:49 am

Po po po and Ay de mi!.

I know that slick too well. I think that qualifies as a Wow.

Here is another small one:

We had just moved into the house in town. Old crank house. We got most furniture in place, but the box spring would not go upstairs. I measured carefully - there was just no way it could possibly make it through the narrow part of the stairs, at any angle.

Facing sleeping in the livingroom or getting a different bed.

In come my in-laws on a housewarming visit. We show them around. My father-in-law [serious man of faith] says, "Let's get that box spring upstairs." I did not mention the physical impossibility. He prayed, we picked it up, got it through the constriction and up the stairs with no particular effort.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:50 pm

When my first wife told me she was divorcing me, first, her father was diagnosed with liver cancer; then her mother was diagnosed with lung cancer. This forced her to delay her divorce about a year and a half so that I could help care for her mom and dad while they were going through treatments. I thought that God was showing her how much I loved her and that my caring would change her mind. Unfortunately, her father passed away, and then her mother six months later. Days after her mother passed away, she left to spend a month at her siblings, leaving me to pack up her parent's house and have everything shipped to her siblings. The day she left she told me that she wanted everything done so that when she got back she could finish with her divorce.

I was crushed. I locked myself in my bedroom and cried out for three days and nights. I was angry at the Lord because I felt that He had led me to believe that He was working on her heart through all that had occurred, but nothing had changed. I had become distraught enough to consider suicide. Her father had given her is Colt 45. I searched the entire house looking for it, including under the bed, several times. However, I could not find it ANYWHERE. Near the end of my three days, while crying out to the Lord, I heard what sounded like a strong man's voice in the room with me say, "Let her go!" At first, I was shocked. Then scared. Then angry. I cried out "NO!!!!" and began crying uncontrollably until I fell asleep. When I woke up, I felt as if a TON of weight had been lifted up off of me and determined to set out to do what needed to be done so that my ex-wife could finish her divorce. I got everything packed up and finished the projects around the house so that it could be put on the market as soon as she got home.

When she got home, I casually asked her about her father's gun. She said it was under the bed. I said it was not. She went into the bedroom, reached under the bed and pulled the gun out of the very spot I had looked several times.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:38 pm

I've seen several:

1. When I was 16, I fell out of a cottonwood tree, about 20 feet, and my right heel bone was broken. The local doctor in rural Nebraska didn't have the specialized skills to set the bone, so my folks took me to a hospital in Omaha. (This was the 1970s, and I have no idea how they could afford it! Today the insurance companies would have to sign off on it.) The doctor there said he would try to manipulate the bones back in place without cutting, but if that didn't work he would have to cut and pin the heel bone. Now, I was under general anesthesia and knew nothing of this, but my folks said that the doctor told them that "everything slipped back into place at the first touch!" I had at least three congregations praying for me. 8)

2. A woman friend of mine had suffered a back injury years before I met her and was in great pain one day. I laid my hands on her and prayed for her--the sort of deep, intense prayer that gets you into a zone where seemingly anything can happen--and suddenly felt her body move under my hands. She said afterwards that she felt the bones in her back realigning themselves! :D

I've seen a few others, but nothing quite as dramatic as those two.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:30 am

I had been working on a electronic device with an intermitent problem for hours.
It was driving me crazy because I just couldn't see it fail.

I finally prayed 'Lord, help me find this problem and get this thing fixed'.

All of a sudden the problem went solid.

I quickly found the problem and fixed the machine.

This is a case where God broke something.

In Him:cross:

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:22 pm

My story is less dramatic, but it is powerful to me. I was on my to my girlfriend's house for our weekly date, at the corner of Clinton and Wishon in Fresno waiting for the left turn signal to go green so I can go north. It finally does and I just sit and stare at it for an extra few seconds while a car going south goes through the red light, right were I would have been. I left me a little rattled and we had some interesting discussions during our date. We later married and had 36 years together until she passed away in 2009.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby geologist2007 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:16 pm

Early in our Christian lives, the Lord moved us from Canada to Australia. We were there for work and had expectations for pay. Only it didn't come and we had maxed out our credit cards and couldn't pay our utility bill and couldn't buy food. We realized we would have to put the kids to bed hungry as we had nothing to eat. Then the doorbell rang and a lady from the church we had attended that week was at the door with a meal. She said, God told me to bring this to you today. The next day, money was deposited into our account, just in time to keep our power from being shut off.

We were driving home from a visit with friends in Oregon around Christmas one year when we ran into an unexpected blizzard. The road from Idaho into BC is a narrow windy two lane road and we were crawling along at about 30mph. I had to peer out the side window to see the yellow line beside the car to know if I was on the road or not. There was no place to stop and wait it out. Of course it was dark too, so the headlights, even on low beam, illuminated the snow and was nearly blinding. Coming to a corner, I sensed God saying 'stop' I hesitated, and again Stop! Now!. I pulled over to the right as far as I felt safe and stopped. My wife said 'what are you doing..?' when all of a sudden a full logging truck came from the other direction on our side of the road at high speed. It missed us by inches. Very shaken, but also very thankful, we made it into Cranbrook and spent the night. Our kids wanted to go on but I was spent and our close call replaying in my mind over and over. Next day we left for home and counted many cars in the ditch and some upside down. That was a miracle!
geologist2007
Permanent Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Oh mon - that beats any of my winter drivings, while all too reminiscent of some.

Good thing you had your ears on.
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity