Israel or Jew

Ask the question you always wanted to ask, and were afraid to. There is no dumb question. Be courageous, for here you will find people ready to talk.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Israel or Jew

Postby natman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:53 am

jochanaan wrote:They're still going, though, Petros. They'll be doing a show in Denver next month! :D

If this is a recent photo of them, the look a lot younger than I thought they would...
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:12 pm

Word is, one of them was graduating high school in 52. Means they have 7-8 years on me.

I wouln't mind looking that good.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:00 am

Petros wrote:Word is, one of them was graduating high school in 52. Means they have 7-8 years on me.

I wouln't mind looking that good.

Bob Shane is 80 years old.

Bill Zorn is 66 years old (obviously not part of the original Kingston Trio).

George Grove is also 66 years old (and also not part of the original Kingston Trio)

Same for Rick Dougherty, also born in 1948 and turning 66 this year.

In short, Bob seems to be the sole original member.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:23 am

Should my math teacher worry that I count a trio of four there?

Born in 48? Puppies!
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:29 pm

Petros wrote:Born in 48? Puppies!

I was born in '55. What does that make me?? Embryonic?? :D

My kids say it make me "OLDER THAN DIRT!!!" :(
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:39 pm

natman wrote:
Petros wrote:Born in 48? Puppies!

I was born in '55. What does that make me?? Embryonic?? :D

My kids say it make me "OLDER THAN DIRT!!!" :(

Considering that dirt can be formed from backyard compost in less than a year, your kids are also older than dirt (at least some dirt).
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:32 pm

I have evidence - my own memories, and photographic records - that attests to the existence of dirt well before 1950, at least on the east coast of the US.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:39 pm

1955 makes you about a year older than A my baby brother [the one who has excommunicated me] and B Herself's baby brother [not to be confused with her baby stepbrotherr] who simply is a noncommunicator.

I would say one older than my baby brother cannot be classed as embryonic. But could once have been classed as a kid.

But at night all cats are gray, and after 55 even kids can count as geezers.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:29 am

Petros wrote:I have evidence - my own memories, and photographic records - that attests to the existence of dirt well before 1950, at least on the east coast of the US.

Perhaps we should all move to a part of the world where village elders are held in high esteem and frequently consulted by the young for advise. Instead we live in a world like Logan's Run where you are not allowed to turn 30 without being hunted down like an animal.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby natman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Petros wrote:But at night all cats are gray, and after 55 even kids can count as geezers.
:bawling:

Ramblinman wrote:Perhaps we should all move to a part of the world where village elders are held in high esteem and frequently consulted by the young for advise.

The Chinese used to be like that, however, I think even they have changed recently. :(

Ramblinman wrote:Instead we live in a world like Logan's Run where you are not allowed to turn 30 without being hunted down like an animal.

And we appear to be heading more and more in that direction with our new (Not-so) Affordable Care Act. :(
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Petros » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:45 pm

Which becomes affordable only if steps are taken against those about whom no one who counts cares.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:30 am

I have insurance through the marketplace.
It is not a perfect system, but I have access to healthcare once again.
It is not free, but is affordable.
For decades Americans have accepted the notion of public health as being in the common good, the same way we pave the roads in front of the homes of rich folks and poor alike.
There probably are too many factors to number that make American healthcare expensive.
Insurance companies, lawyers, expensive hospital corporations, lack of competition.

I am encouraged by the emergence of mini clinics that provide affordable preventative care and minor emergency care.
None of us wants the government writing a blank check to this entrenched byzantine healthcare network.
Getting costs down is the next step, should have been the first step.
When I first entered the working world I could afford to pay my own health care on a salary barely above minimum wage. Granted I am older, but the cost increases in healthcare have far outstripped inflation.
I had pretty good health care back in the day and doctors made a good living too. If what we did in the 1980's and prior was affordable and delivered a good product, what happened?
You can offer your own thoughts. My thoughts are that lack of competition exists. Doctors and hospitals raised their prices because there was no cheaper alternative for us, in other words, free enterprise has not existed in health care in quite some time. We might as well nationalize everything and abolish the insurance companies, cut out the middle man in so doing.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:11 am

Actually, depending on HOW it is done, that quaintly might expand competition.

I put in a few years under the British National Health. Anybody - including a nonresident foreigner - could go in and sit in the waiting room and get a 10 minute interview at the university student health level - take two aspirin and come back next week if you and the condition are still among us. I have used stuident health - I recognize the attitude. But any doctor with ability / gumption had on the side a private practice giving one attention for a fee.

Of course, if union or government block that there is no recourse.
Petros
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Unanswered questions about Christianity