Christus Natus Est

Members are invited to post their personal poetry and favorite songs, if they have copyright permission. Please start a new thread for each one.<P>Only Permanent and Native Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Christus Natus Est

Postby bn2bnude » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:32 am

Ramblinman wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:It may be that but I'd heard that it was because:
1) Not all that many people could read
2) Books (or scrolls) were expensive and something only the elite could afford.

The obvious response to these arguments is that the Church changed the language of the liturgy from Koine Greek to Latin despite those issues, so...
why not change the language to the lingua franca yet again?
bn2bnude wrote:3) The concern about errors in doctrine was more the non-scholarly reader misinterpreting scripture.

Now that is a distinct possibility, but errors in doctrine emerged from official channels as well as laity.
We can and should look back with reverence at the Protestant Reformation, but some of the doctrines that emerged were far from the truth.
But it was a movement in departure from some heinous Catholic doctrine, some of which Rome itself has repudiated.
Through it all, the Holy Spirit has been leading individuals and small groups beyond these failings.
I am also grateful for the efforts of Reverend Isley Boone, but on reading his biography, some of his actions do not fully reflect Christian charity and maturity.
Yet, most here would agree that overall, good came from this very imperfect vessel.
Chstus Natus Est, now more than ever!

Not to draw us too far off course here... If you look at a fairly recent doctrine, it is interesting to see how fast they spread. One off the top of my head is dispensationalism. Concept of the modern day belief was around 1832. Popularized in the early 1970s by a couple of books and movies...
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 pm

bn2bnude wrote:Not to draw us too far off course here... If you look at a fairly recent doctrine, it is interesting to see how fast they spread. One off the top of my head is dispensationalism. Concept of the modern day belief was around 1832. Popularized in the early 1970s by a couple of books and movies...

Don't know a ton about it as a whole... but in regards to eschatology, I've mostly dispensed with dispensationalism. :wink:
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 am

That Christ will come again has been church doctrine from the beginning. There's any number of theories as to how. Any which try to say when are in my view best avoided. But Christ will return.
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:48 pm

The Return of Christ was preached by Jesus, Peter, Paul, and predicted by the prophet Daniel centuries earlier, in fact, the return of Christ in more cryptic fashion was prophesied by Enoch before the Great Flood!

Dispensationalism is the idea of Church ages based upon the 7 churches mentioned by St. John in his Apocalypse, what we tend to call the Book of Revelation.
I do not reject it out of hand, but think that Scofield went too far with it.

One particularly contentious doctrine of modern dispensationalists is that God works no miracles through Christians these days.
The specifics are that when the Apostles died, the power of the Holy Spirit departed with them and we who are left behind have only our testimony and faith, totally lacking in spiritual gifts.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Worship in Song and Poetry