Goldilocks & The Three Bares

Members are invited to post their personal poetry and favorite songs, if they have copyright permission. Please start a new thread for each one.<P>Only Permanent and Native Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Postby jochanaan » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:21 pm

I'm still waiting for inspiration re making "Cinderella" about nudism. Maybe the Fairy Godmother could be naked... :!:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:02 pm

I will have to refresh my memory on the fairy tale since I've forgotten just how it goes. Then I will see what I can do with a nudist version and hope I don't get sued. Maybe I should change Snow White's name to play it safe. People are sue crazy these days.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Desert Hiker » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:48 am

You can parody the original writing--just acknowledge that it is a revision/parody.

It is the same law that allows Weird Al Yankovich to do those spoofs of the original tunes--even when the original artist was not very appreciative of it. Plagiarism is when you rip off the original work, and claim it as your own creation. Copy right laws are mostly geared towards protecting from plagiarism, and piracy of intellectual property--spoofing/parodies/revisions that acknowledge the original are generally safe from prosecution.

Besides, these old fairy tales are public domain--no one truly owns the rights to them. Some are so old, and revised that no one truly knows who actually wrote the original. Disney owns a copyright to a version of Snow white, (Snow white and the Seven Dwarfs c 1937), but the original tale predates Disney by hundreds of years. The original Peter Pan is a story that has nudity already in it--Not the version sold by Disney though.

According to wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White , the tale was a much darker than the one we are more familiar with from Disney--in some original versions the dwarfs are actually robbers. Perhaps you could avoid all dangers by just not mentioning dwarfs at all in the title, or changing how you refer to them.
Peace In Christ, Sam

Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart...--Job
Desert Hiker
Councillor

Postby Desert Hiker » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:35 am

jochanaan wrote:I'm still waiting for inspiration re making "Cinderella" about nudism. Maybe the Fairy Godmother could be naked... :!:

The Step sister's vanity is their true "ugliness"--perhaps you could alter the outcome of the tale where they all realize the emptiness of their vanity, when they realize that they all are much happier without all of their uncomfortable, ill fitting fancy clothes--which was the lesson the fairy god mother was trying to teach.

IOW: a truly happy ending, where everyone is happy.
Peace In Christ, Sam

Desert Hiker
Councillor

Postby natman » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:34 pm

Jon-Marc,

I found a graphic for your story....

"I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go..."
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Desert Hiker » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:49 am

That is quite cute there Nat. You definitely have a knack for finding some interesting imagery.

However, I am not sure we want to stay with the Disney version of this tale.
Peace In Christ, Sam

Desert Hiker
Councillor

Postby Strandloper » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:54 pm

For one thing, Sam, that mob are likely to sue over copyright breaches. But as has already been pointed out, the story itself is pre-copyright.
It would be worth seeing how far this one goes.
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:19 pm

You could call it "Maiden Fair and the Seven Naturists" so as not to loose the tie back to the original story. As "naturists", they could be made up of several families or one large one that live and work out in "natural" surroundings, doing healthy "natural" things and in "natural" dress (or lack there of), apart from the hustle and bustle of city life.

Something like this...

or this...

SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Desert Hiker » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:01 am

I am quite certain that we can use the name of Snow White, even in the title--I would agree, however, that efforts should be made to disassociate this version from Disney's version. Particularly if graphics are used--I am quite certain that the first graphic above would raise th ire of Disney's lawyers. They may work for a mouse, but are by no means mousey.

The Wikipedia article above has a synopsis of the tale for reference, as well as related links, and history--you may find it useful.

Just remember that ANYONE can contribute to Wiki--so, take it with a grain of salt--not all they have there is Gospel. None the less I find it a useful resource most of the time.
Peace In Christ, Sam

Desert Hiker
Councillor

Postby Strandloper » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:59 am

Hi, Sam –
not sure how the Mickey Mouse people would be able to sue over that first image.
It doesn’t look much like a D___ cartoon to me.
They may claim that its use of nudity is bad for D___’s reputation, but I cannot see how it can be linked to their work.
And we need more cartoons like Loxie and Zoot.
Anyone know an artist willing to draw real (clean) stories about naked folk?
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

Postby Desert Hiker » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:48 am

It is just that the first image resembles the Disney copyrighted characters very closely. it is my suggestion, in the interest of avoiding any potential litigation against us, that the imagery be distinctly different from the Disney ones--I would even go so far as to rename the individual dwarfs. Renaming the dwarfs could even play more favorably to the story.

Once again, the story itself predates Disney, so Disney cannot possibly hold any exclusive rights to the tale--just the version they sell. As long as we avoid looking too much like the Mousy version, then they won't have a leg to stand on.
Peace In Christ, Sam

Desert Hiker
Councillor

Postby Strandloper » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:27 pm

Hi, Sam –
when I referred to the “first” image, I meant the first in Nathan’s Thursday post, not the nude dwarfs with the Disney-style faces that he posted on Wednesday. My oops. :oops:
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

Postby Desert Hiker » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:18 pm

No problem--it appears we are all on the same page here, just different versions of the same story ;)
Peace In Christ, Sam

Desert Hiker
Councillor

Postby jochanaan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:23 pm

Update on Cinderella: I've read several old versions of the story, including those by Charles Perreault and the Brothers Grimm. It seems her stepsisters had some serious body issues... :shock:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Strandloper » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:13 pm

Hi, Jochanaan –
so the want to cover up because they are ugly, do they?
And Cinderella would have no vaunted self-opinion, so she would have no need to cover up, and her beauty would be plain for all to see?
We could work with that (although we would have to keep it positive – some people’s imaginations would go on a dirt track).
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Worship in Song and Poetry