Video: Bono & Eugene Peterson

Members are invited to post their personal poetry and favorite songs, if they have copyright permission. Please start a new thread for each one.<P>Only Permanent and Native Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Video: Bono & Eugene Peterson

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:52 am

So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Re: Video: Bono & Eugene Peterson

Postby Petros » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:10 pm

Interesting - I have not watched the whole, only enough to get a feel, but an intriguing text.

The Message is by me problematic - in the course of my work and consultations with coworkers I took a look at it some years ago. I just checked a few key passages - probably all of us in the business as students or teachers or interpreters have our shibbboleths - to refresh my memory.

Our musical friend likes it because it speaks in his language - my colleague bil also prefers the more everyday talk translations. Me, other factors are more important, i do not object to "natural language" - though many translations of that kind sound very stilted to me, but some translations [NOT only the colloquial ones!] do a lot of interpretation and interpolation that bothers me. The Message gets points for its handling of Isaiah 35; does not lose points - though I sigh - for Revelation 10; loses points for John 1.

But of course disunity of interpretation and style does not affect the coherence of the message. And I must say I like the tone of what i have been able to watch.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Worship in Song and Poetry