Thanking God at a Time of Death

Members are invited to share statements in praise to God for all God's goodness to you. You may also share answers to prayer, and stories of how God is leading in your life. Please start a new thread for each praise item.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Thanking God at a Time of Death

Postby natman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:55 pm

If you do not mind, what kind of cult was he involved in?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:51 am

natman wrote:If you do not mind, what kind of cult was he involved in?

Odd that this much time should have passed before I saw your post with this question. Maybe it has taken this long before i was prepared to revisit the topic. It was (still is) a personality cult in which the leader styled himself as "That Prophet" referred to in the scriptures, a belief that requires some specialized warped interpretation to arrogate[1] to himself a title that rightly belongs to Jesus

At its early years the cult seemed only to be stringent and specifically atypical. From there it went downhill becoming ever more demented and bizzare, and insular[2]. But I guess that is a common failing among personality cults, when the leader becomes a paranoid megalomanic. ..... by their Fruits........ At least they have not yet taken to drinking special cool aid The good news it that it continues to dwindle and wane.

The following two definitions are properly descriptive of the situation. but that is probably true of many such personality cultst.

[1]
arrogate
From Dictionary.com
1. to claim unwarrantably or presumptuously; assume or appropriate to oneself without right: to arrogate the right to make decisions.

[2]
insular
From Dictionary.com
1. of or relating to an island or islands: insular possessions.
2. dwelling or situated on an island.
3. forming an island:
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:49 am

becomes a paranoid megalomanic
? Or is revealed to be? A friend of Herself's many years ago got into one such.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:47 am

Petros wrote:
becomes a paranoid megalomanic
? Or is revealed to be? .....
I had a chance to observe the man and the following he drew and at first he appeared humble, but as more and more followed him and the group enlarged he changed and, when followers began to hang on his every word, it went to his head, his pride and power began to swell. As it is said, "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely". Sycophants[1] and lickspits[2] gathered around him and he became corrupt and deranged. Some of his close followers may have been taken in as sincere (but sincerely wrong), but the effect was the same.

Whether it was Satan using the man or wether he was corrupt from the start, the effect was the same. The the harm he did to some of my children was evil and offensive. I do not think that my assessment is unjustified. Perhaps he will repent and renounce his former works. That would be good for him.

From Dictionary.com
------------------------------------
[1] sycophant
[sik-uh-fuhnt, -fant, sahy-kuh-]
noun
a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite.

[2] Lickspit
noun
a contemptible, fawning person; a servile flatterer or toady.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:02 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:Two years ago my oldest son died at the age of 37. He had a condition that the Doctor's seemed unable to diagnose or do more than try with poor results to treat the symptoms. The cause was never named, they only described the symptoms. For several years he had sever swelling in the legs, more in one than the other. Then his blood pressure became uncontrollable and fairly quickly destroyed his kidneys. He had put up with a substantial discomfort but the doctor's were of little help. At his last visit to the doctor, the doctor did not give him any real hope but still wanted to rush him off to the ICU. He refused, he told the doctor,"I do not want to spend my last days incarcerated in the ICU I will go home to my family!".

The Doctor put him on hospice care and told him he would have about a week. I found out and my wife and I drove for two days and got there about 8 days before he died. He actually lasted nearly 2 weeks. He remained fully coherent and weak but fairly functional on hospice care until about the last 3 days when the amount of pain medication required for effectiveness pretty much had him asleep all the time. My wife and I and his wife and 4 daughters (ages 1 to 12) and his step son were all there with him.

The terrible part was that the cult he was in had prohibited him from contact with us for the previous 3 to 4 years for fear that we would corrupt his belief. They would make allowance for such a family emergency but nearly reneged on that except we came so swiftly.

The emotional bomb really hit at his memorial service several days later. I was devastated. I am not totally over it yet. But what little time we had at the end was of good quality. He met his end with courage and equanimity. The grieving period was not helped when his wife told us that after the memorial service that things had to go back the way they were and we would not have contact with our granddaughters. Fortunately he had very good health and life insurance through his company and his widow and children are not in want.

He was a good son and a good father. It is regrettable that it took death to break him away from that cult.

Two thoughts, Bare_Truth:
Your oldest granddaughter was age 12 in 2010 at the time of your son's death and her mother's prohibition against contact with you and Mrs. B_T.
She is now close to age 20 and perhaps more amenable to reconciliation?

Did your son indeed break away from the cult? I saw nothing in your post to indicate that he did.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 am

It happens. Check out the message to Cain. Temptations come - and some respond aright and others - many of whom at first seemed fine - fall horribly away.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:41 pm

Ramblinman wrote:Two thoughts, Bare_Truth:
Your oldest granddaughter was age 12 in 2010 at the time of your son's death and her mother's prohibition against contact with you and Mrs. B_T.
She is now close to age 20 and perhaps more amenable to reconciliation?

I do not have all the details as of yet, however she had enough good sense to question things that she was deemed too independent and has been excommunicated (aka disfellowshipped) from the cult and is kicked out of the house as too rebellious. The second daughter simply left home on her own and is staying with her half brother who never really got involved with the cult. I have not as yet made contact with the oldest daughter.

Ramblinman wrote:Did your son indeed break away from the cult? I saw nothing in your post to indicate that he did.
No he remained a staunch member to the end, which makes matter all the more infuraiating. After all his loyas support and the giving of tithes (plural & real 10%) plus offerings above that, and service to the congregation locally plus to the Cult per se, they only sent an inexperienced decon to conduct the funeral and he made a disgusting botch of it! They could not even come up with an experienced ordained minister to help the family through the trauma of the loss! The only good part of that is that the botched funeral may well have contributed to the offense that has so far driven the two older girls out........ Two escaped and 2 more to go! We will do what we can to help the girls break free and help them to get their feet on solid ground
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jude700 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:22 pm

:pray:

Let us pray for all entrapped in the cults. May the Lord guide them and their families and bring them back into the fold.

God Bless.

Man is a spiritual being, and so has the need to develop his spirit and his conscience.
Pope John Paul II
jude700
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:56 am

jude700 wrote:

Let us pray for all entrapped in the cults. May the Lord guide them and their families and bring them back into the fold.

Joining you in prayer! Many of us have loved ones who have been trapped in such groups.
Praying for months and years at a time requires commitment, but the blessings of God make it more than worth the effort.
And God is the one who actually works the miracle of reconciliation.
Our Redeemer is faithful and true!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Worship in Praise