Up or Out

Members are invited to post their prayer requests, and lift up their prayers on behalf of one another. Please start a new thread for each request.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Up or Out

Postby Petros » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:51 am

Either a typo or I decided to go for Latin. Surely nothing Freudian.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jude700 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 am

Ramblinman wrote:
Petros wrote:.., then sex hours back.
:oops:
Six hours back?

:butbut: :butbut: :butbut: :argh: :duh: :blowkiss: :biggrin:
God Bless.

"You are the garment which covers our nakedness, and in our hunger you are a satisfying food, for you are sweetness and in you there is no taste of bitterness, O triune God!"
Catherine of Siena
jude700
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:58 am

She is safely back, after a lkong drive in serious rain, half of it alone at night. Very glad it is over.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:31 am

Petros wrote:She is safely back, after a lkong drive in serious rain, half of it alone at night. Very glad it is over.

I can't say that I approve of doing this in the first place!
But, yes I share your relief.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:51 am

Petros wrote:Since I took early retirement from the university I have been supplying linguistic [like I am the only one who knows all the languages] and technical expertise for a Bible translation group. Working on about half a dozen languages, all but one have lost funding "unexpectedly" - enough said. So I am back up and running on that one.

The world is vast and pocketed with odd little languages on secluded islands and hidden amidst thick jungles that have yet to have a copy of the Bible in their own tongue.
It adds up to a huge number of languages and millions of people in fact.
I have heard it said that when Jesus is proclaimed in every tongue that this will trigger the Second Coming.
Methinks rather, merely a prerequisite, followed by a timing known only to God the Father. But this must come to pass.
And yet, God allows us to share in this great task.
It is one thing to have a Bible in some obscure tongue sitting on a dusty bookshelf in some seminary library.
Rather, the goal is to have the Bible in the hands of those who speak that language.
And some governments are hell-bent on keeping the Bible out of those hands.
Perhaps a pastor must read the Bible to an illiterate congregation, in many cases, but literacy is the ultimate tool of empowerment.
Praying for funding for this work. (and praying that God prosper me so that I can be a part of this).
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:03 am

It has amazed me the way some of the group have reacted to the funding cutback. I and one other are stimulated and really encouraged. This is God's idea, he will have it happen, we need to watch and pray for ways to change and revitalize and see what is now half done to its conclusion. Others - the majority - Oh, too bad, we;ll find something else to do.

Cannot understand it.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Those who are cavalier about the defunding of Bible translation probably already have the Bible in their native tongue and have no sense of urgency.
If our language did not have the Word of God, perhaps attitudes would be different.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:06 am

Ramblinman wrote:Those who are cavalier about the defunding of Bible translation probably already have the Bible in their native tongue and have no sense of urgency.
If our language did not have the Word of God, perhaps attitudes would be different.

The situation isn't as dire as one might think. There is a consortium of various Bible translation organizations out there approaching things in different ways.

You have your normal translation organizations like Wycliff Bible Translators but you also have some rather unique ones.

"Faith Comes By Hearing" is geared to getting the Bible out in audio form. They find someone who is fluent in English as well as a particular language and work with them to read through the Bible translating as they go. The audio is then put onto various formats from USB drives and downloads to proprietary devices that resemble solar powered weather radios and sent to a people group. An organization I was with sponsored a translation for $27K.

Another guy who works as a missionary has created a version of the Bible called the "World English Bible" that is under a creative commons license rather than copywrite. He has also written software that can be used to do an initial pass of a Bible translation for any language that can then be more easily fixed than starting from scratch each time.

This consortium believes they can have the Bible translated into all tongues by 2024.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:45 pm

An update.

Refreshing:

Stage one, we are told the group's funding has died, all the projects shut down / shot down, and for us [others of course are affected] over half our slender income down the drain.

Stage two, we learn the group still has some cash, and that one project still is funded. After a bit of negotiation, I get the go ahead to work on that project, and we are going again.

Stage three - now: there are at least a couple more months of funded work in that project - possibly more. The org has been working to try to find new funding, the leader quietly optimistic. And I hear that one funding possibility isd concerned I am not certified to do what I do after doing it for twenty years and having taught people who are now senior bigwigs in the bible translation industry. If I had never worked for the state, that might surprise me...

So, any how, we are hinging in there, moving at least for now, still eagerly receiving prayer.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby prairieboy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:18 am

Ramblinman wrote:(and praying that God prosper me so that I can be a part of this).

I suspect that you are already a part of much.

I am finding out for myself the truth of the following passage.
2 Corinthians 9 - 6 Now this I say, he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows [e]bountifully will also reap [f]bountifully. 7 Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;
It seems that the more generous I become, the more I have left over. The mind is still troubled by this, but the spirit rejoices.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Worship in Prayer