Closing date: February 1st

Members are invited to post their prayer requests, and lift up their prayers on behalf of one another. Please start a new thread for each request.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Closing date: February 1st

Postby naturaldon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Maverick wrote:My suggestion to kids: study hard, and find opportunities where you can start early. Parents should encourage their kids to aim high. Practice taking the PSAT so you can score high enough to be eligible for a National Merit Scholarship. Figure out which colleges offer scholarships that you're eligible for and apply, apply, apply! I remember one college advisor telling me that there's practically free money sitting in scholarship funds that only a few students apply for each year. What's it cost? Maybe writing an essay. But it could save thousands and keep someone out of student loans.

Speaking from the inside of private university leadership, I can tell you for sure that there usually are funds sitting unused, and not loans but real scholarships. Most are small amounts but every amount helps and surprisingly adds up quickly. Okay... I just realized that these two sentences are grammatically challenging. :roll:

PS - Your prayer request is noted. Keep us posted.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:01 pm

Ramblinman wrote:
Maverick wrote:Oh... and is going to "Dream University" really worth being saddled with a five-figure student loan debt upon graduation? I think not. Go to "No-Frills Community College" to get your basics out of the way and then transfer to someplace that will ease your financial burden. Put simply: go where the money is, or where the money will go the farthest.

For those of us who are not from wealthy families, learning a trade may be a necessary intermediate step before we can begin academic education.
It may take a few extra years, but the right trade skills can give young folks a resume with real-world experience, practical knowledge that complements book learning, and they can earn more than burger-flipper wages as they fund their education. Contract work allows flexibility in taking classes, but getting your employer to pay your tuition is an equally valid path.
But both these paths are predicated upon learning a trade first before pursuing higher education (if ever).

Ramblinman, I agree completely with you about trade/technical schools. From what I understand, there is a lack of tradesmen in the current economy: electricians, plumbers, etc. I would argue that is partly due to the overwhelming push for young people to go to college and get degrees, which (ironically) I think would increase the value of a trade-school education.

In regards to academia, I'm simply speaking from my own experience and environment, where tuition at the local community college is about $110 per 3-hour class (so tuition for an Associate's degree of 60 hours would cost about $2,200 -- there's half of a four-year degree right there). It's a great deal, but so many don't take advantage of it because No-Frills CC is not "prestigious" (or something like that).

I'm certainly not from a wealthy family. My hard work in school is what allowed me to get scholarships and admission into a local four-year university, and even though I work part-time I do so not for the money to fund college, but for the experience. I will graduate college this December debt-free. Ultimately, I have to thank God with heartfelt humility, because He blessed me with everything. What I did I did with what He gave me. :)

Without trying to put myself on a pedestal, I compare my situation to those of some of my high-school peers, who went off to the colleges that their parents went too or the ones that sounded prestigious. Some of them got scholarships to help pay for some (or all) of their education, some didn't and either have their parents paying and/or took out student loans. In the end, most of us will graduate in ≤4 years with the same kinds of degrees and be starting jobs. Their degrees from bigger-name schools might help them find jobs and further their careers via the good ol' boys network of alumni ("I see you went to State U, so did I; I like you, want to work for me?"), but otherwise I'm willing to bet that my degree from Local State U will put me on a level playing field with the folks from State U and State Tech.

Hopefully that all makes sense. ;)

webmeister wrote:Annnnd baseball this year Mav :lol: Sorry to diverge....

Go Astros! Well, at least when they're not playing the Rangers. :lol:

naturaldon wrote:PS - Your prayer request is noted. Keep us posted.

Yeah, speaking of diverging, this strip's way off course. Guilty as charged for being an accomplice to the divergency. Warren, please do let us know how things are going.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:20 am

I certainly will. Presently, we're ironing the glitches out of the contract agreement. The wife & I are most thankful for not having to pack up and move out.
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:02 am

Oh, man, can I amen that. We spent a year and a half packing to move, and after 6 mo here everyday we find something we would LIKE to unpack and use and we rejoice we are not still filling cartons.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 am

Well, February 1st came and went. We have hit 2 major snags that are preventing us from purchasing the house.

1. My wife's bankruptcy was discharged almost 3 years ago, but a conventional loan requires it to be 7 years in the past.
2. This leaves us with the other option - an FHA loan. Unfortunately, the whole area we live in is commercially-zoned, and FHA does not deal with commercial properties.

At the moment, we have no options, except to pray for $59,500 cash, or to start looking for a foreclosed home we can afford. I don't want to tip off the nursing home's attorney too soon, because as soon as this property goes on the market, someone will scoop it up right away, with such as low asking price, which may not give us ample time to find another place.

Please keep it all in prayer. I would rather stay here where we & my video business are established, than have to pack up everything to move with our limited finances.
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks for the update, Warren. Y'all are in my prayers. The Lord has a plan. And, let's be honest, anything can happen. Out of curiosity, what's the new time frame looking like?
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:33 pm

I got laid off during the process of financing, we went ahead on my wife's income alone. Is it an option to finance on your income and your credit rating alone? I will be praying for you that God will show you his will for you.
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:41 am

All I can say - keep praying, keep walking. It took us two years to sell at bargain basement prices. There was nowhere open at the time but our son's house. We will be hunting again soon, but technically the org I work with is bankrupt and I have no adequare reliable income to show. And God is in it - SOMETHING is on its way, no surprise I havent the foggiest what. And so for you - hanfg in.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Petros wrote:All I can say - keep praying, keep walking. It took us two years to sell at bargain basement prices. There was nowhere open at the time but our son's house. We will be hunting again soon, but technically the org I work with is bankrupt and I have no adequare reliable income to show. And God is in it - SOMETHING is on its way, no surprise I havent the foggiest what. And so for you - hanfg in.

Jobs are so bourgeois!
Tell them, "I'll have you know that I am a squire of no small estate, a gentleman of leisure and well-connected at the House of Lords. I detest having to explain myself to someone from the working class, but there you have it! I shall insist upon a generous offer forthwith or I shall see to it that no gentleman in my extensive circle shall ever call upon you again".
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 am

Actually, it is very nearly that. They NEED me to do anything - and some of them realize that. Out of all available, they have asked me to jump the hoops that are the one thing MIGHT revive them - no one else can do it - except one and he flat out refused - which I absolutely understand. I have told the powers, if I am to keep hoopjumping one through April I need a solid contract in hand in March.
'
There is for us an alternate direction - I walk the path following the signs, trusting to arrive.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:08 am

Petros wrote:Actually, it is very nearly that. They NEED me to do anything - and some of them realize that. Out of all available, they have asked me to jump the hoops that are the one thing MIGHT revive them - no one else can do it - except one and he flat out refused - which I absolutely understand. I have told the powers, if I am to keep hoopjumping one through April I need a solid contract in hand in March.
'
There is for us an alternate direction - I walk the path following the signs, trusting to arrive.

Although my words verged on hyperbole, realizing that one is in a position of strength is very empowering.
And our LORD is in the ultimate position of strength, able to lead, guide and bless.
Continuing in prayer my friend!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 am

Maverick wrote:Out of curiosity, what's the new time frame looking like?

Thankfully, I don't believe there is a deadline. The owner of the house passed away in a nursing home in Florida 2 whole years ago, and the facility didn't even start to pursue any proceedings to get their debt paid until a year & a half later. That should give us some time.

nakedpreacher wrote:Is it an option to finance on your income and your credit rating alone?

That's another minor snag. My last full-time gig ended as an entire department layoff at a TV station at the end of 2014. Currently, I am bringing in part-time income from various directions - a local Christian ministry center, my occasional business, nude modeling, and other freelance work, but not enough to prove on a W-2, which is what a mortgage company wants to see. However, we are contacting various mortgage companies to see if one of them has an "out of the ordinary" option. One suggested that a lease-to-own situation could be a possibility.

Ramblinman wrote:Tell them, "I'll have you know that I am a squire of no small estate, a gentleman of leisure and well-connected at the House of Lords. I detest having to explain myself to someone from the working class, but there you have it! I shall insist upon a generous offer forthwith or I shall see to it that no gentleman in my extensive circle shall ever call upon you again".

Quite so, chap! Yessssshhhh....... quite so.
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 am

During the 2007 banking meltdown there was a story on the radio about a banker who was making loans to the Amish community. He described how he had to do non-standard evaluations of the prospective borrowers. The Amish generally do not have credit ratings like most everyone else, no credit cards, no smaller consumer loans, not much of anything a banker could look at. Then a person wants to buy a house or farm, needs a loan, and has no credit history. The banker described how he had to visit the prospective borrowers friends, neighbors, parents, family, more distant relatives, and others in the community and make face-to-face contacts. The banker said that out of hundreds of loans he only had one bad experience.

Maybe you could to a banker on a different perspective and see if you could get a similar evaluation. Or go to an Amish banker.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 am

Very helpful - nudie66, our situations are not that different - but while I do not have a contract in hand I DO have a 2017 statement of earnings that looks positive. That might gert us in the door while waiting for a contract to show.

As for the Amish - we are currently in a small community where a good number of people are either relatives [our realtor is a close cousin] or family connections - our dog groomer used to go out with the said realtor cousin. It is not impossible we might get some credit points from that.

Anyway - FORWARD! Into the light, my friend, the darkness and thunder-rumblings lie behind.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 am

Petros wrote:FORWARD! Into the light, my friend, the darkness and thunder-rumblings lie behind.

:like: :like: :like:

Thank you, Petros.

Praying for answers to arrive today (as we have been doing daily).
nudie66
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Worship in Prayer