Complications

Members are invited to post their prayer requests, and lift up their prayers on behalf of one another. Please start a new thread for each request.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Complications

Postby Petros » Wed May 23, 2018 7:03 am

Ah, me. We now know that the place, while very nice in many respects in spite of needing a bit of overdue maintenance, has a serious problem in the form of a nonfunctuoning and illegally bypassed septic system.

This is a deal breaker unless the seller will spring for the fix.

God knows. Herself is discouraged. We shall see, your prayers appreciated.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: Complications

Postby Englishman » Wed May 23, 2018 8:09 am

What a ginormous pain in the bottom! I shall get on my knees on your behalf.
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed May 23, 2018 9:37 am

Our Lord takes great delight in helping us through "complications".
To our knees in prayer immediately!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu May 24, 2018 12:48 am

[quote="Petros"]Ah, me. We now know that the place, while very nice in many respects in spite of needing a bit of overdue maintenance, has a serious problem in the form of a nonfunctuoning and illegally bypassed septic system.

Petros, could you be more specific as to the nature of the illegal bypass???
e.g. Does it have a neglected and deteriorated drain field
e.g. Does it have a stopped up septic tank that needs pumping.
e.g. Does it have a non functioning tank because sombody put stuff in a septic tank that should not have been put there.
e.g. Does it have a drain field that will not percolate?
e.g. Does the local ground fail the percolateion test?
e.g. Does it have a septic tank that requires a lift pump to discharge and needs a new lift pump.
e.g. Is the bypass into a local water way.

Do you even have a drain field. Some locals allow for sewage lagoons and upgrade of the code now requires a septic tank ahead of the sewage lagoon. (Our place has a lagoon system and it is the simplest and most reliable system we have ever had. It was built before more recent code revisions but is apparantly grandfathered and entirely adequate and functional We were able to pay cash for this place and bypass all sorts of inspections and upgrades imposed by lenders and the system has been entirely satisfactory and trouble free although lending institutions and loan garantors would have required a bunch of upgrades that are simply not necessary in our situation but that the institutions and guarantors want just because they are stupidly incapable of thinking outside the box and recognizing a system that functions perfectly because the system happens to be installed in a situation that is superior to most the surrounding area. In other words various of the involved parties lack the understanding to realize that there is no problem and they are trying to impose an unnecessary modification, Just because they think some other sort of arrangement is more popular and hence more saleable if there is a forclosure years later.

Sometime there are good solutions that other parties simply are too ignorant to recognize. A nearby house was recently sold but the government lending agency demanded unnecessary upgrades to the septic system before they would insure the loan because they simply did not understand the soils and geology of this region and wanted to impose a "one size fits all" solution because they were too ignorant to understand the situation.

So tell us some more about the nature of the septic system problems. Maybe some of us can provide information as to how to fix the situation.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu May 24, 2018 7:25 am

Does it have a neglected and deteriorated drain field: yes, says KS
Does it have a stopped up septic tank that needs pumping: yes, for decades now
Is the bypass into a local water way: yes, in that it empties into a currently merely damp ditch that will carry ground water to the nearby lake.

KS assures me the soil is good dor it - and if the owner had bothered to pump it before it clogged instead of digging down and bypassing it afterward there would likely be no problem.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu May 24, 2018 12:27 pm

Petros wrote:Does it have a neglected and deteriorated drain field: yes, says KS
Does it have a stopped up septic tank that needs pumping: yes, for decades now
Is the bypass into a local water way: yes, in that it empties into a currently merely damp ditch that will carry ground water to the nearby lake.

KS assures me the soil is good dor it - and if the owner had bothered to pump it before it clogged instead of digging down and bypassing it afterward there would likely be no problem.

Ok we now have a better understanding:
But:
-- Who is KS ?
-- From the sounds of it, You likely still have a fully functional but neglected septic tank that if it were pumped would again become a fully functional septic tank that simply has an illegal connection (provided that the some idiot did not modify the tank itself to make the bypass). If the tank is a typical concrete tank it should be repairable even if it was modified. Likewise if the tank is a fiberglass or polymeric tank as is often used in modern construction. So assuming that the tank was not modified in a ruinous manner no new tank should be required unless some code bureaucrat is going to force you into some sort of upgrade because he can.

The drainfield would be the next issue
-- If the drainfield cannot be restored to functionality (and you should check that option to see what it would take) then the next question becomes if there is adequate space to put in a new drain field at a new location. as that may be faster and cheaper.

-- One problem you may be up against is that the folks who do this sort of work may simply want to sell you a whole new septic system because that makes them more money, in which case you may be talking to the wrong service provider.

Have you checked with anyone who could be involved in and or persons who could provide remediation as well as those who could just redo the system from scratch. (and do not neglect to see who might be a mandated regulator who has to stick their finger in the project. In a rural location you frequently have more leeway than in an urban one.

Assuming that a real estate agen is involved you may be able to get some help there so that the agent can make a sale.

How did you find out that this problem exists for this property ???
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri May 25, 2018 6:36 am

Last first: How did we find out? Well, we would have found out - or at least begun to notice - the first time we were on the grounds on a really warm day. It is rather obvious something is up. But in point of fact - the place is minutes away from the city limits of a small town where our realtor is Herself's cousin. The story of what happened is well known, and our cousin heard about it. KS is the local septic man - who knew the owners and modifiers, whose niece looked over the place, who of course knows cousin Mike. I am inclined to trust him. Not that it is guaranteed, but my impression is if anything he is minimizing the situation.

We don't expect problems from the township - who have let this go on literally under there noses for 15 odd years, without the required inspections and pumpings of our former venue. The main issue - will the seller see reason. Yes, we proceed, no we walk.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby nakedpreacher » Fri May 25, 2018 9:19 am

If it is in a rural area, there used to be a type of FHA loan where bids were obtained for necessary repairs and were handled through an escrow account to ensure that the work was done and paid with no liens to the property. I do not know if this type still exists, but it might be worth checking into. Will be praying for you both.
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:00 am

The upshot - the deal has fallen apart. It is clear the seller is NOT interested in selling, it is clerar that theere may be other secrets lurking. We aere rather relieved, though that sort of tghing is NOT fun.

We are trustingthe RIGHT place will come into view.\
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:32 am

So, to summarize, you are living (tight squeeze) with your son and fairly close to the area where you intend to find a home?

In my case, I was already living in the general area and enlisted a realtor to show me houses.
My home search was in winter and working until 5:00 pm every day didn't give him much time to show the houses.
A few deals fell through, but he found a place that did meet my checklist of must-haves and it has suited me for more than a decade.

I assume you want a house that is close to being ready to move in at a fair price, no fixer-upper at bargain prices?
I don't do electrical nor plumbing upgrades and repairs and I can't afford those who do know how, although I did get two single electric lines fixed over the past 10 years and had a drain pipe replaced, neither of which were cheap, but I managed to absorb the cost.

Praying that you will never be blindsided AFTER closing on the deal.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:04 am

That is about it. Our last house - which was our second house - we had to do A LOT. Including new septic, new electric, etc.

Now - we want this to be our last house and an easy ride.

So far, lots of evidence this search is moderated.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:16 am

Petros wrote:.......

???????? "moderated" ????? By which you mean .................. ?
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:
Petros wrote:.......

???????? "moderated" ????? By which you mean .................. ?

The great Moderator in the sky. :like:
I transfer camcorder tapes & other family memories to DVD. http://prosservideodubs.com/
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:41 pm

There is steering. There are traffic controls. This is not a probability controlled world.
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Worship in Prayer