A Hair of the Dog

Members are invited to post their prayer requests, and lift up their prayers on behalf of one another. Please start a new thread for each request.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

A Hair of the Dog

Postby Petros » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:13 am

Spent much of yesterday athe emergebncy room - Number Son interfered in a terrier puppy feeding frenzy, got a nasty bite, one fractured bone, one punctured nail. Incredibly long process. Finger is splinted, wound cleaned, tetanus updated, antibiotics supplied.

Not fun, very tired at tghe end. I drove him - did not think he should take himself if there were an alternative, and Herself - stress and a terrible cold - in no shape to do it.

Praying for healing and judgement.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: A Hair of the Dog

Postby Jim » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:28 am

Praying for healing. A judgment of a death sentence for the dog?
Jim
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:49 am

Petros, I wish your son a full and speedy recovery. Personally, I don’t think the puppy should be destroyed since, according to you, your son interfered during a “feeding frenzy.” The dog was simply protecting its food and should, I think, be left alone while eating.

Also, I hope your wife is feeling better. Colds can be quite nasty. And, I hope you’ve been able to rest as well.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby jude700 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:49 pm

^^^^^ Will be praying for speedy recovery. Animals do get carried away when eating :pray:
God Bless.

Man is a spiritual being, and so has the need to develop his spirit and his conscience.
Pope John Paul II
jude700
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:35 am

The pups - he is not sure which of the two it was - will hardly be destroyed. Even our old and sedate and very mild dog has issued warnings if we get too near his food - It was his own poor judgement and he has learned a lesson, albeit the hardway.

While it is hardly fun, it might have been much worse, and he is on the road to recovery.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:12 am

Good to hear Petros. Again, wishing your son a full and speedy recovery.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:39 am

He was very upbeat when he showed yesterday for some help changing the dressing.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jude700 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:11 pm

praises for quick recovery & cheerfulness

:pray: :angel: :dance:
God Bless.

Man is a spiritual being, and so has the need to develop his spirit and his conscience.
Pope John Paul II
jude700
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:02 am

Best wishes for your son's recovery.

As for the pup..........
You did not say whose pup the terrier was, however for the well being of your son and the terrier long term. That pup needs some discipline about food and people for the sake of the owner, the pup, and whoever may in the future may be around the pup when food is involved.

All that may be needed given the nature of terriers, is some feeding time ettiquete. the "Feeder" needs to be someone who can be confidently assertive.
At feeding time the Feeder should retain control and not put food down until the pup sits attentively
The food should be withdrawn if the pup trys to lunge at the food
The food should be placed down while the pup is required to wait
The pup should be allowed to go for the food only upon a command such as "OK"
The food should be withdrawn if the pup trys to sieze the food prior to the Command word"
If the pup is excessively assertive or unruly, leather gloves may be required during this training
If the pup growls while going after its food, it should be firmly repremanded and the food withdrawn temporarily

You did say pups and as the pups may be compettive it will likely reaquire separate training and seperate bowls to work this out as lively dogs are prone to be aggressive about food.

I am not a professional dog trainer but have some practical experience, but for the sake of the dogs such training is pretty much necessary and should be started soon. For terriers this is more likely to be necessary than other more inherently sedate breeds. but individual temprement of the pups can be as important as the breeds. There can be many more details and a good dog training book can be useful. And a sturdy pair of horse hide work gloves can be a valuable asset with some pups. With some dogs, especially some of the more dominant breeds, additional assertive techniques may be required.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:35 am

Great advice Bare_Truth. I too felt discipline should be instilled but didn’t know exactly how to approach it.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:38 am

In the pack are two pups and their dad, and he knows about the need for training and is working on it - BUT one time he skipped a prep step and thrn yielded to impulse = which he will not soon repeat.

One pup is his. the other and their sire pertain to his bandmate and current flat mate and old friend Steve.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:16 pm

JimShedd112 wrote:Great advice Bare_Truth. I too felt discipline should be instilled but didn’t know exactly how to approach it.
Jim

Well, with dogs especially, food is a great motivator, and when they are pups it is easy to get them started right. As my wife is a "gentle soul" by nature she has a difficult time being assertive enough with a dog, especially a larger male as they tend to have a stronger instinct to be an alpha. Nevertheless, even they grant her a great deal of respect because they see her as the most effective hunter in the pack. She can go out alone about once a week and return in a few hours with enough food to feed the entire "pack" for a week :biggrin: She sequesters her stash and only brings it out at times of her own choosing and lets the other members have it when she chooses, and they only get it on her terms when she chooses. They respect that!, and if they get pushy she scolds them and only and only shares when they obey. If they get unruly she turns matters over to THE BIG ALPHA MALE, (ME), HER MATE AND HE BROOKS NO NONSENSE !

From time to time, I have resorted to a technique known as "pinning" just to make sure that they understand who is THE alpha male. and some dogs will not understand any other way. The technique must be carried out swiftly and unequivacally.
-- with larger more assertive dogs it may require extra clothing for safety, and for smaller breeds, with small but sharp teeth, gloves are required.
-- the method becomes mandatory with assertive breeds who just have not gotten the right idea otherwise.
-- at a time and place of my own choosing, and without warning, I pounce on the dog from the side grabbing them around all 4 legs and pulling them toward me sweeping them off their feet and then landing on them with my forearms, one across their back legs and hips, and the other across their neck, with their throat exposed.
-- my teeth are exposed
-- I am making snarling noises
-- In dog language this translates to , "You are alive only because I let you live"
All of the above is carried out in an unprovoked blitz attack when the dog is least expecting it.

The attitude adjustment effect is amazing for its immediate effectiveness. Needless to say this is a severe measure called for only when the dog is not getting the point otherwise and this could be difficult with a large agressive dog. Also when this manuver is used it must not be done with no margin for failure.

Curiously, the one time this manuver was most necessary, was on an occasion when I was house sitting/dog sitting in return for use of a house for a month while arranging a more permanent housing situation for myself, while waiting for the arrival of the wife and kids who were closing up the former house and arriving with the household goods in a rental truck! The problem animal was a Scotty size, and conformation, terrier mutt that was hyper assertive. The dog being very prone to bite, heavy leather work gloves were a necessity for safety. The dog (normally housebroken) had eventaken to asserting himself by crapping around the house wherever he chose. Fortunately hardwood and vinyl tile floors clean up easily.

My attack was unanticipated, swift and unequivical. The gloves proved necessary, but with a 170 to 9 lbd advantage the outcome was a foregone conclusion. That terrier had grossly miscalculated his role. The terrier was un-injured physically, but his attitude readjustment was instant and like night and day, and his behavior change wasswift. He took a day or two for him to be sure that he was safe around me so long as he behaved but he got the point and adapted fairly quickly .

In another application with our 70 lb Labarador mixed breed which we had raised from a pup, the effect was gratifying. His problem was that he was trying his limits to see where he fit in the pack. but he also quickly got the point with no fuss and no bother and no retraining after about 2 adninistrations of the lesson.

I learned the details of this method from a colleague when he and his wife were having severe problems with an irish setter they had discovered to be a problem, (particularly the wife). They had had to take the dog to an obedience trainer and when the wife had another incident at home and called the instructor, his instructions were to put on her coat and show the dog he was not the one in charge. He told her to put put on her winter coat and gloves, (think North Dakota), and take on the dog with full severity. She did, and that was what it took, before the dog got the point. It was either that or have the dog put down! When she had at the dog with full fury, the dog got the point and the behavior change was sudden and complete becoming a sweet and obedient family member in minutes. After that the dog had no lingering doubts where its place was in the hierarchy of the family and could even be trusted when the time came for the arrival of their baby.

The method sounds severe but really is quite benign and effective but sometimes needed for a dog that simply does not have the right idea about the order of things in its "Pack". The suprising thing about this technique is the sudden effectiveness when it is properly applied. But it must be done with resolute intent. So don't try it in a half-hearted manner or you can make things worse!

My experience with that terrier was an interesting example of how some breeds are prone to get things all out of proportion while other breeds that are larger and stronger have no problem quickly and accurately sensing the proper order of things and never needing anything so emphatic.

Disclaimer: I am not a professional dog trainer, and often it is the human that needs the most training, and any of the foregoing may need to be applied with discresion. With any problem animals, professional guidance or assistance may be required before some humans aquire the ability to "speak dog" so that the dog understands. So if considering the foregoing method, if in doubt proceed with caution and consider involving a professional. Proper training from puppyhood upward often avoids anything so emphatic as I have presented, but some dogs don't get it otherwise. (Kinda' like some people. :lol: )
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Return to Worship in Prayer