Tracing the Yellow Brick Road

Members are invited to post their prayer requests, and lift up their prayers on behalf of one another. Please start a new thread for each request.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Tracing the Yellow Brick Road

Postby Petros » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:12 am

We have now had a few showings. The consensus - great place, but the decrepit ramshackle falling down barn is an issue.

Which we knew years ago. We are trusting that the right person will see the barn not as a problem - but, as Herself says, as an asset. It IS the right persion we want to sell to.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri May 27, 2016 12:18 pm

Time passes - no showings lately, a lull or slupm.

We are praying for the right offer, coming at the right time. Amenm Lord.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat May 28, 2016 9:01 am

Petros wrote:Time passes - no showings lately, a lull or slupm.

We are praying for the right offer, coming at the right time. Amenm Lord.

It is time to fire the real estate agent?
At present the results are the same as if you had no agent at all.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat May 28, 2016 11:19 am

Herself yesterday had her hair done. Her hairdresser told he SHE had been told by a realtor customer that at the time we listed the market was strong and about two weeks later went into a slump. Evidence is it is not our realtor - and if it were this has been in God's hands from day 1. But hey, if you are interested in a rather nice place in the country .....
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat May 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Petros

So now you are living where under what conditions.

I and wife have relocated several times, but we never hired a moving company because we could do it cheaper ourselves and had heard too many horror stories.

Our history on this sort of thing is:

1. U of Mich to my first teaching job in MN
-- me and the wife
-- VW Beetle and our own small trailer
2. In town to out of town in MN
-- me and the wife
-- VW Beetle and our own small trailer
3. Out of town to MN to North Dakota State, Fargo to get Engineering degree
-- me and the wife
-- VW Beetle & small trailer, Ford Bronco & U-Haul trailer
4. Fargo to Lynchburg VA to build Nuclear Reactors
-- me and Wife (pregnant at this time)
-- VW Beetle & small trailer Jeep & U-Haul trailer
5 Lynchburg apartment to owned trailer in town
-- me wife and 1 kid
-- VW Beetle and Jeep & small trailer
6 Moved from trailer park to our own land
-- me wife and 3 kids
-- VW Beetle and Jeep & small trailer
7. Lynchburg to Univ Nebraska Lincoln to get PHD
-- Me and wife and 4 kids
-- 7 passenger van and Ryder truck(blew the hydraulic hose for steering and bakes before I could get out of the driveway)
8. Lincoln NE to Univ North Dakota Grand Forks to teach as Assoc. Engineer
-- Me wife and 4 kids
-- mini van and Ryder truck, (engine went into runaway and I managed to bring it to a halt in a weigh station and get under hood and bring it under control and effect repairs.
9. Moved in town from rental to purchased house
-- Used a local only U Haul truck without incident.
10. UND to Tyler Texas Eng Dept Start up (I pissed off the UND Dean by trying to hold him to a promise)
-- Me wife and 2 younguns still in the nest.
-- 2 phase move Me with Isuzu Trooper and small trailer, family followed with U haul truck later (but son backed it into the garage in ND, damage minimal)
11. Tyler Texas across town from rental to purchased home.
-- Me the wife and 2 nestlings
-- multiple trips across town with Isuzu and small trailer.
12. Tyler Texas across town to 20x20 Storage shed,
-- Me and the wife, empty nest - retiring to go look for place to retire to.
-- Had to hire mover with fork lift to move 2800 lb milling machine and 1100 lb lathe.
13. After driving about 6000 miles around the U.S. settled into rental place in Rolla Missouri
-- Me and the wife
-- used car and small trailer to get essentials from TX storage.
14. Moved a bit west of Rolla to rural purchased property
-- Budget rent a truck hired loading crew with fork lift to load truck Hired another fork lift at small town to come out and unload mill and lathe from truck and place in basement (8 foot drive out door fortunately) Budget rental truck was in bad repair and informed Budget and local dealer to not let that thing on the road again until it was fixed. It was suffering from previous collision damage. (Local dealer was also a repair shop and gleefully billed Budget for the cost of the repairs. :mrgreen: )

I really am not planning on moving again until professionally carried out feet first. :wink:

As you are now in the act of changing places and settling in I can identify with the entire process and you have my sympathy.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat May 28, 2016 9:49 pm

Conditions could be worse - the main issues are temporal uncertainty - WHEN will this sell, will we miss the place that stimulated to desire to move? AND empty echoing rooms with 2/3 of what we have not let go packed ready to move when so that if I need a book or Herself needs a tool it is not on hand.
The actual move in theory will involve packing the as yet unpacked, loading it in a Uhaul with help from Number 1 Son and at least one friend, who will drive thaty while we drive the two packed SUVs and help unload.

I have fewer moves than you, but lots of fun. The highlight: 1970 or 1971, MSU to UW. I driving a U-Haul with worldly goods, Wee Coryl driving the Toyota, convoy style. Rounding Chicago, Des Plaines [I think] tolls. U-Haul goes in the truck lane, Toyota in one of the car lanes. I am behind as luck would have it another U-Haul. Coming out of the slot, Wee Coryl follows the wrong U-Haul. God alone knows where HE was going. I pay the tolol, gun the engine, and try to pull alongside the toyota, honking and waving to attract her attention and get her following me, not him.

Classic comedy - if you were watching and not part of it.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat May 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Yet another scenario:
You back out of the move, restore all your posessions and Shrek and Princess Fiona stay put in the swamp

And I will be here online to encourage you and chatter endlessly!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun May 29, 2016 9:38 am

Petros wrote:.......
The actual move in theory will involve packing the as yet unpacked, loading it in a Uhaul with help from Number 1 Son and at least one friend, ..........
If I may insert here something that you might already know or perhaps for the benefit of other readers. One point that ought to be made with respect to packing the U-Haul truck or trailer. This point is often missed because it seems rather counter intuitive.
I believe that U-Haul does provide packing instructions as to loading the truck by quarters. In this manner the load can be lashed to stabilize it. Cheap nylon heavy cord can be used if it is tightly stretched, but cheap 1/4 inch hemp rope that does not stretch is higly desirable because it does not stretch to allow shifting. But what they do not tell you is a rule that can be characterized as:

-- "BIG STUFF GOES IN LAST"--

To properly understand that statement:--
Note that I said BIG, not HEAVY ! So yes the refrigerator or the chest freezer, (or Milling Machine as in my case) may need to go in at some point in time other than last. also "LAST" usually needs to be understood as the last item to go into that quarter of the load. But for most people making a household move the big things are The chest of drawers from the bedroom, the living room sofa, and various furniture pieces. These items are for all their volume usually not all that heavy. That is to say that they are not "dense". Everything that is not large should be in boxes, and if the boxes are placed tightly packed one against another they form a surprisingly rigid and strong mass, atop which these bulky but not all that heavy items can be laid (take the legs off the sofa etc).

It is a strategic mistake to place sofa or other furnature items on the bottom as the load will be unstable and more than the furniture was designed to bear. Yes it is a bit awkward to get the furniture on the top of the load, but not so bad after all if you have help The bulky items are awkward but not usually all that heavy and will not crush what is below them because loaded properly their weight is spread over many boxes below them. Also upholstered items are not rigid enough to be at the bottom of the load and make for very unstable packing. Something like a mattress can be used to provide extra cushioning for fragile items but it is better that most fragile items be cushioned within a box if at all possible.

Another tip which is not critical to the loading and unloading and which is not relevant to the load being properly packed BUT is very very relevant to the loading and unloading process is that the very first item to bring to the truck but the last to be packed is the electric fan and extension cord. It will get hotter than hell in that truck body or trailer while you are packing and the truck/trailer is not ventilated. Now what will be obvious to this audience here but may not be able to be done based on the location and conditions under which the loading/unloading is being done. is that NUDITY can be a great advantage to the process.

One person who understands the keys to building a load should stay in the truck as load master, positioning or repositioning each box or item to best advantage and lashing the load zone by zone as it is built. The others basically act as porters bringing the various items as they are available or as the load master requests. Most everything should be in boxes. The load master needs to be well appraised of what is going into the load and from time to time should revisit the house to see what remains so he/she can know what is coming and may even specify to the porters what is to be loaded next. Observant porters should advise the load master of remaining "problem pieces" that they are aware of.

As the last of the load is put in place and especially if the load fills the truck extra care should be exercised to make sure the load cannot collapse against the door and jam it from the inside :shock: :roll: :!:

When pulling out, hopefully the first few miles of the trip are not over bad roads that shake the load apart. But drive 10 or 20 miles and stop and check the load.

If you have moved previously several times you may know the above points but if you are not a frequent mover the advice is offered to make your move easier or more pleasant (albeit the most one can hope for is "not so difficult nor unpleasant" .

I helped some inexperienced friends move on one occasion and served as load master. The truck looked too small (built on a van chasis), and they thought they would have to abandon stuff that they wanted to keep. However they had heeded my advice to have lots and lots of boxes and somehow I got all that stuff in that small U-Haul, but I wonder if the springs were ever the same after that, especially seeing as how they were towing one car behind the truck. At least the tow vehicle was heavy enough not to be pushed around by the towed vehicle. But I am sure that the drive line (from radiator all the way to rear axle) got a real work out on that trip, (summertime move from Nebraska to Texas).

Be optimistic at all times and know if something goes really wrong, you will at least have tales to regale others with later and advise them how to avoid certain pitfalls.

Best wishes to you and all others who are having such a "moving experience". Been there! Done that! Got both the T-Shirt and Baseball Cap. :!: :!: :!:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun May 29, 2016 11:43 am

Much of that, of course, is intuitive for one of our style raised in the era when groceries were packed, not bagged - some items, though, like the fan hint, would not have been obvious. And Number 1 Son and his entourage , while not tyros - he is my son, and they have done a LOT of van packing - are not asa systematic as they could be. After the short driveway, it is all serious road, but yes, the load has to be checked after it gels.

As for you, Ramblinman, passing lightly over your assumption I resemble Shrek [schrecklich I may be, but I rate myself physically and mentally above him], standing still is not an option - this place is edging past our physical and economic abilities. Would that it were not - nice place,
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun May 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Petros wrote:Much of that, of course, is intuitive for one of our style
May I presume that you are making reference to the often itinerant nature of being a university professor and the oft used trick of administration of denial of tenure as a means to suppress wages by forcing faculty back to the bottom of the ladder and bringing in wet behind the ears PhD graduates, all in hopes of finding the silver tongued professor who can charm blood out of a turnip and lucrative grants out of goverment so the administration can skim off 40% for administrative overhead :?: :?: :?: :?:
Petros wrote:the fan hint, would not have been obvious
While useful most anywhere when packing In my experience south of the Mason Dixon line in the summertime it becomes a life support system, and a marginal one at that. Under those conditions after an hour or two as desperation reaches a peak, the idea tends to come about by spontaneous generation and hopefully before there has to be a frenzied attempt to unpack it from the bottom of the load.
Petros wrote:, but yes, the load has to be checked after it gels.
That almost sounds like the voice of experience :roll: !j Either that or a profound appreciation and anticipation for the truth of Murphy!

Best wishes for your journey.

I should add if I have not mentioned it that our move out of Texas had the opposite problem from your present situation. The full price offer that we received from the first to view the house came with the proviso that they insisted that they have the house within the month which meant that effectively the house was sold out from under us. However for a no quibble full price offer we went into accelerated packing and storage unit mode within an hour after the realtor called. Albeit we had been expecting a more leisurely departure schedule.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun May 29, 2016 3:07 pm

Petros wrote:As for you, Ramblinman, passing lightly over your assumption I resemble Shrek [schrecklich I may be, but I rate myself physically and mentally above him], standing still is not an option - this place is edging past our physical and economic abilities. Would that it were not - nice place,

Was likewise waiting for your vehement denial that I, in any way, resemble the donkey, but won't take your silence as affirmation. :mrgreen:
"Levity, thy name is Ramblinman" William Shakespeare

I still think you should give ample thought to weathering in place.
Selling off parcels of acreage, or simply letting your meadows and gardens revert to forest (no need to tend) might be all the down-sizing you'll need.
Property taxes are crazy high around here and I will DEFINITELY move when I am no longer actively working.
I know that some venerable couples move to downstairs bedrooms (creating a bedroom out of a study or den if necessary); leaving upstairs rooms to young agile house-guests who can race up stair steps 2 at a time.
The reality on the ground may demand other action, but it is my duty to suggest what appears to be the simplest solution to my friends.
None of us can see the forest for the trees. That's what friends are for.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun May 29, 2016 7:00 pm

I figger you know what you look like besser as I do; I should argue?

At 4+ acres nothing to sell off; we are fine at present with stairs, but with effectively two houses needing at least minimal Wisconsin fuel and maintenance/upgrades, two cars need to live out of town - and an inelastic income faced with prices thet SAY are not rising and narsty taxes ... we gotta go. Appreciate the though - but we been looking at alternatives a good few years now.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun May 29, 2016 7:04 pm

I should add if I have not mentioned it that our move out of Texas had the opposite problem from your present situation. The full price offer that we received from the first to view the house came with the proviso that they insisted that they have the house within the month which meant that effectively the house was sold out from under us. However for a no quibble full price offer we went into accelerated packing and storage unit mode within an hour after the realtor called. Albeit we had been expecting a more leisurely departure schedule.

That was us the last time we sold - picked up almost instantly and no place to go - over a year in me ma-in-law's basement [don't ask about the flooding]. That workede well enough we later moved her out here - not to the basement.

The time I was "nonretained" one colleague fought hard ewnough to get me "unnonretained". Of course later he turned agin me.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun May 29, 2016 9:30 pm

Petros wrote:At 4+ acres nothing to sell off; we are fine at present with stairs, but with effectively two houses needing at least minimal Wisconsin fuel and maintenance/upgrades, two cars need to live out of town - and an inelastic income faced with prices thet SAY are not rising and narsty taxes ... we gotta go. Appreciate the though - but we been looking at alternatives a good few years now.

Around here, developers are knocking down old houses on big lots, dividing the lots and putting up 4 bedroom houses on 1/4 acre lots and selling each for $500K.

A friend of my family moved to a rural area because he liked nature and enjoyed mowing 5 acres of grass every week and chopping firewood with an ax.
As he got older, he discovered that the grocery was an hour's drive away, the hospital and all his doctors were an hour's drive away, the county seat was about a half hour away and there was the matter of the nuclear plant...
No relatives live within less than 2 hours drive and most live 6 hours drive away. Not good!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun May 29, 2016 11:07 pm

Around here, developers are knocking down old houses on big lots, dividing the lots and putting up 4 bedroom houses on 1/4 acre lots and selling each for $500K.

NOT how our township council operates, unfortunately.

Your friend's case is not far from ours. But with us, it is not the nuclear facility but the fertilizer plant about a mile upwind.
Petros
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Worship in Prayer