Tracing the Yellow Brick Road

Members are invited to post their prayer requests, and lift up their prayers on behalf of one another. Please start a new thread for each request.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Tracing the Yellow Brick Road

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:39 pm

c.o. wrote:
Petros wrote:2: We have had some feedback. The fact that the barn is dead is known to have been an issue for some, but nothing can be done about that.

You've probably already investigated this, but if the presence of a dead barn is a drawback, maybe it would pay to have it razed. Perhaps make a couple bucks on the side selling the siding. Some people in the Chgo and suburban markets actually use barn siding as interior décor.

If it is close to the house, you could convert it to a garage or even an in-law's apartment.
If it is not close to the house, sure, sell it off piece-mill to city folks who love all things rustic.

Or stage a barn-burning and charge admission to see the fire? :shock:
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Ah - you are talking rent to purchase foe someone else on THIS place? I'm not sure if that would help, though one could ask - but I suspect given what we need to lock in the other and what we have locked into this it wouls not work.

As for the barn - trust me, I do not use "ruin / dilapidated / wreck" lightly. If it could have been turned into usable space we would have done it long ago. Most of the siding HAS been sold off, the local barn wreckers charge a fair sum, and it is so sited that a barn fire would NOT be a good idea!
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:18 am

Maybe you could advertise on Ebay or freecycle that you have "free decorator style barn wood, disassembly required". Then make sure they sign an injury waiver. There people that are looking for old barns and such so they can raze them for the wood. Make sure they agree to clean up their mess.

Jerry
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:12 pm

Got a bit feedback from the last showing - these folks loved the site, but were put off by the fact that it is two interconnected houses - used first for mother in law, later for office, plenty of creative possibilities but not what they were looking for. We are and realtor is going - like - how did they not realize that from description and photos? But I should know you can miss ANYTHING>
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:23 pm

Petros wrote:... We are and realtor is going - like - how did they not realize that from description and photos? But I should know you can miss ANYTHING>
Oh, there are photos. Give us the link just to look for curiosity's sake.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:04 pm

Petros wrote:...the local barn wreckers charge a fair sum

Time for some cost/benefit analysis:
If the house will not sell because of the barn, you lose everything.
If you pay a king's ransom to barn wreckers, but you sell your house, the door is open to the next chapter in your life.
Of course you would not award the contract without getting several bids...

Have you no friends, fellow congregants, neighbors, etc. whom you could call for a barn raising?
If so, why would they not be equally willing to assist with a barn razing?
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby c.o. » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:28 pm

Petros wrote:Got a bit feedback ... were put off by the fact that it is two interconnected houses...

Ah. You have a "market" limited to those interested in two separate but connected houses. Not that such a market does not exist, especially with the aging boomer population; but if your property is "unique" to your market area, it's not unusual to have an extended exposure time. The only likely options are wait until the right buyer comes along, or shoot for a bargain basement price if you can't wait. An extreme and risky procedure is to price the property ridiculously low (an offer no one can refuse) and let the price get bid up. This tactic has worked favorably in some cases, but make certain of the local laws governing real estate transactions, i.e. what are your rights to refuse an offer if nothing reasonable comes through. I'm not a Realtor or contract lawyer, but in our area i believe (might be wrong as to the # of days) the seller has a 3-day window where he/she may refuse an offer for any reason at all.

Another possibility (i don't know how long it's been on the market) is that the listing is "shopworn," or on the market so long that "everyone" has seen it, no one is interested at your price, and it gets mentally shoved to the back of the shelf to collect dust. If that is the case, it is often helpful to take the property off the market for a while so that it appears as a new listing after a few weeks or a couple months. It can sort of regenerate interest and may bring fresh buyers out. MOST of the time when this is done in the Chgo markets, the new listing price is reduced to some degree from the last listing price. If your local market is "hot," a price reduction may not be necessary. If it is stable, it should be reduced because the market has already told you that they won't pay your price. If the market is declining . . .

In our area, market activity tends to wane a tad after Spring as people are on vacations, getting kids ready for school/college, then the holidays and winter kick in further dwindling the buying population.

Sorry. This is stuff your Realtor probably already knows, but in case not, thought i'd bring it up. Really hoping it works out well for you and Herself, and soon!
Life will leave me with what i deserve.
Grace never will.
c.o.
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:50 am

Don't watch this space
Last edited by Petros on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby c.o. » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Petros wrote:Make an offer...

Here's one: in exchange for a room in your spare house, some conversation and 3 square meals a day, i'll raze the barn for you :mrgreen:.

Oh wait. I won't have the time for that until i retire, which will be very shortly after my last breath . . . nevermind.
Life will leave me with what i deserve.
Grace never will.
c.o.
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Dang!

I guess "shortly after my last breath" kills the conversation part of the deal.
Unless I can find a ouija board.....
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:37 pm

Perhaps we could pray for a tornado?
One that spares the house, but not the barn?
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:23 pm

It could work. About 15 years back there was a tornado a little north of here that might have done - the normal tornado track here COULD slant it so as to miss our big shed and the neighbour's tobacco shed and take out the barn. MIGHT kill the corn crib, but we would live with that.

Pity - the barn is not insured.
Petros
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Worship in Prayer