Nothing more certain

Members are invited to post their prayer requests, and lift up their prayers on behalf of one another. Please start a new thread for each request.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Nothing more certain

Postby Petros » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:21 am

Tomorrow - April 5, might as well have been April Fool's Day - we have our annual appointment with destiny - sorry, the tax preparer. For years it has been financially sickening. Never fun, this year we are tired from all the house scurryings. THAT is nearly done, we have the formal listing coming Thursday - but I am filled with absolute confidence that important data will not have been readied for tomorrow's meeting. If we DO make the move,, we may NEXT year be able to afford to pay taxes and still live. But I am far from cheery about this.

Prayer for adequate preparation, faith in the outcome, hope for the move, and the needful energy greatly appreciated.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: Nothing more certain

Postby nudie66 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:55 pm

Dear Father, You know all of Petros' and Herself's needs - especially these financial ones. Bring to their minds anything they may need to remember, and give them peace that all is in Your hands. Bless them with relief & peace from their burdens. In Jesus' name, Amen!
I transfer camcorder tapes & other family memories to DVD. http://prosservideodubs.com/
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:23 pm

WHAT a day.

Drove to the tax office. Got out. TRIED to close the door. Wouldn't close. We had to drive home with a half open door, fetch the other car, drive back to town with a half open door [tied for security with a dog leash] to get it to the shop.

Just what my nerves need.

On the positive side - this time I did not go home with a list of more data the taxes need.

But, oh, HOW many days like this?
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:44 pm

Petros wrote:Tomorrow - April 5, might as well have been April Fool's Day - we have our annual appointment with destiny - sorry, the tax preparer. For years it has been financially sickening. Never fun, this year we are tired from all the house scurryings. THAT is nearly done, we have the formal listing coming Thursday - but I am filled with absolute confidence that important data will not have been readied for tomorrow's meeting. If we DO make the move,, we may NEXT year be able to afford to pay taxes and still live. But I am far from cheery about this.

Prayer for adequate preparation, faith in the outcome, hope for the move, and the needful energy greatly appreciated.

May I suggest paying your taxes in the same way that one would eat an elephant?
(One bite at a time, or more precisely: pay by the quarter).
Payment Voucher
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:52 pm

We have been doing that for a few years - and each year there is MORE not reckoned with in the estimate. IF the move happens, and IF expenses in the new place are in fact less, we MIGHT break even sometime down the road.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:29 am

Petros wrote:We have been doing that for a few years - and each year there is MORE not reckoned with in the estimate. IF the move happens, and IF expenses in the new place are in fact less, we MIGHT break even sometime down the road.

There's nothing wrong with the principle of paying quarterly, but you might need to keep an even closer watch on taxable events to improve your estimates.
Paying annually used to give me a nice refund every year when I was a W-2 worker in the corporate world.
As a free-lancer getting 1099's, I don't dare do that. Money in the bank tends to get spent and then there's nothing left to pay Uncle Sam.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:42 am

I've had to pay quarterly taxes from time to time, based upon income and deductions/lack thereof. Today I'll go to file my taxes (all done already). By putting a total of $8,000.00 into my wife's and my IRAs we'll get a refund of $47.00. Anything less and we'd have to pay up to over $1100.00 over what we've already paid in estimated taxes. Personally, I hate paying anything more than required to the government which is fraught with waste and abuse.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:48 pm

JimShedd112 wrote:Personally, I hate paying anything more than required to the government which is fraught with waste and abuse.

Well said Jim, and I agree. I would personally like to have the option to choose where my tax money goes, but I know that if I had that option everyone would have that option, and not everyone would make the best decisions about which parts of the government to fund.

This is only my second year to pay taxes and they are much higher than they were last year--because 2015 marked the first full year of my employment. I'm considered an independent contractor so I got a 1099 and I'll be paying quarterly taxes for 2016. I actually like that because I can put some away every month or two for taxes and know exactly how much I will pay--no guestimating.

But, it's as my dad told me: "If you're paying taxes, that means you're making money."
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:19 am

Maverick, you said you like paying quarterly taxes because you know how much you'll be paying - no guestimating. True to a point but be sure you build in a bit of cushion for the unexpected come tax time next year. Despite what we paid in estimated taxes for 2015 we still owed and reduced our tax burden only by paying ourselves more by funding our IRAs when all was done. You may pay in enough to avoid any extra payment but don't count on getting it exactly right. After all, it'll be a "guestimate."

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:21 pm

Death and Taxes, most unpleasant topics...

When my wife died in 2009 I lost the joint status and had to file as a single. It cost me $9000 more that year. In 2011 I married my second wife and we again filed as joint. She had her withholding adjusted almost to the penny and typically got a refund of less than $50. Going from two singles to one joint return, we got a refund of about $11,000.

This year I was expecting to pay several thousand in taxes since I did not have anything withheld from my SSI or pensions. But, we got by with a some big surprises; I got an unexpected royalty payment for a project I did ten years ago and after selling two investment houses her late husband had bought to "secure her future' we had enough losses to actually get another refund.

I may be rich enough to be taxed but I still feel poor in the end. Considering the alternative, taxes are easier to live with than death. Now, if they (Caltrans, the California highway department) could just pave the roads. In all my travels California has the worst roads and the Bay Area has the worst in California.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:18 am

A truly hard day yesterday. We have now signed the paoers to list the place - but he will not start marketing it until even more preliminary clear out is done. We have been at this a month of intense strain, I am at a low in strength and optimism. My still small interior voice says I can relax, this is God's plan and timing; all the other voices including creaking bones shout DESPAIR!
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:11 am

Petros wrote:A truly hard day yesterday. We have now signed the paoers to list the place - but he will not start marketing it until even more preliminary clear out is done. We have been at this a month of intense strain, I am at a low in strength and optimism. My still small interior voice says I can relax, this is God's plan and timing; all the other voices including creaking bones shout DESPAIR!

I saw a television news show about a hoarder couple who moved because they had completely blocked access to kitchen and bathroom with abundance of stuff.

I know that the houses of all older people tends to fill with beloved kitsch from every vacation, memorabilia from when the children were little, then memorabilia from when the grandchildren were little.
It all adds up.
If everything is important, if everything must be in plain sight and underfoot, even the hoarders have their limits when they cannot cook, bathe or visit the toilet because of stuff everywhere.
:argh:
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:15 pm

You are talking my sister Maureen. Somewhere in December, I think, she called me to drive to town to change a light bulb in her bedroom. The fixture was not above the path from the door to her bed - I had to clear a path piling things on her bed temporarily in order to reach the bulb - then return them to clear her way to bed. She is very close to the tipping point.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:24 pm

Petros wrote:...My still small interior voice says I can relax, this is God's plan and timing...

That's the voice you should hear now. :)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:35 am

And that is through this - empty echoing rooms, full aching days and all - the only thing that keeps me from collapsing or running about shouting "The sky is falling" like Chicken Little with his head cut off.

A visit to the chiropractor yesterday did help a lot of the ache.
Petros
Native Resident

Next

Return to Worship in Prayer