The grave of Jesus

Members are invited to offer their thoughts on a portion of scripture or offer a meditation on some aspect of God and God's work in the world. Short sermons are also invited. Remember, this is a worship center; please keep your thoughts worshipful, and start a new thread for each new item.<P>Only Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

The grave of Jesus

Postby naturaldon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:19 pm

Just think, about 2000 years ago, people in Jerusalem were dancing this night away, singing God is dead, basically.

I wander what was going on during that night? There were guards all around the grave of Jesus. Supernatural events during the crucifixion were likely fresh on everyone's minds (but I still think there was a lot of celebrating going on because Jesus, the scoundrel, was dead).

'Believers' huddled behind closed doors pining the night away, not knowing that the real Passover had passed-over into death...

...And was getting ready to Pass-back-over into LIFE.

A lot of stuff was going on because of what was going on behind that stone.

The sun is almost up. I suppose someone ought to go anoint the body of Jesus.

But surely He stinketh by now.

:cross:
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Re: The grave of Jesus

Postby webmeister » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:33 pm

Hmmm. Wonder why 3 day before resurrection? Maybe it gave people time to ponder what the heck happened. Maybe to build the suspense of nothing happening suddenly (hell fire and brimstone) for the killing of God?
webmeister
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:21 am

Christos aneste!

The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:13 pm

naturaldon wrote:Just think, about 2000 years ago, people in Jerusalem were dancing this night away, singing God is dead, basically.

I doubt that there was any "dancing the night away, singing God is dead."

Those who did not believe Jesus assumed that they had merely killed a trouble maker, not God.

Those who believed that Jesus was God were probably mourning at the loss.

webmeister wrote:Hmmm. Wonder why 3 day before resurrection?

First-century Jews did not assume someone was dead (and not merely in a deep trance or near death) until they had been dead at least three days. By then, as mentioned, they would already begin to stink. Also, Jesus Himself said, "For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.". So, it was also a fulfillment of prophesy.

webmeister wrote:Maybe to build the suspense of nothing happening suddenly (hell fire and brimstone) for the killing of God?

I think pretty much everyone involved, even those who believed Jesus, had assumed that the Jewish leaders and Romans had killed a mere mortal, not God.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby webmeister » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:51 pm

Thanks Natman, good history there...
webmeister
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:41 pm

natman wrote:What Natman said above...

:like:

Well said... I believe, from the fact that the Jewish leaders asked the Romans to guard the tomb, they were sweating out the whole weekend.

Of course, if they were "good jews", they would have been observing Sabbath much of the time and not much else. I'm not sure dancing is a Sabbath activity.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:14 am

naturaldon wrote:Just think, about 2000 years ago, people in Jerusalem were dancing this night away, singing God is dead, basically.

A little euphemism, people, with some contemptuousness thrown in for storytelling purposes. :biggrin:

Can't wait for Christmas! Uh, it snowed here on Easter Sunday. But then again, every day should be Christmas and Easter.
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby natman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:29 pm

naturaldon wrote:...every day should be Christmas and Easter.

Well, we celebrate Good Friday and Easter (actually Resurrection Sunday) every day in our prayers of thanks to God; Good Friday as the day that our sins were covered by the Blood of the Lamb; Resurrection Sunday as the day that the promise of our own resurrection was realized. Of course, neither of those days would have been possible were it not for Christmas. :like:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby naturaldon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:14 pm

natman wrote:Well, we celebrate Good Friday and Easter (actually Resurrection Sunday) every day in our prayers of thanks to God; Good Friday as the day that our sins were covered by the Blood of the Lamb; Resurrection Sunday as the day that the promise of our own resurrection was realized. Of course, neither of those days would have been possible were it not for Christmas. :like:

Double-ditto your thumbs up.
:like: :like:
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Return to Worship in Devotional Thoughts