Silence

Members are invited to offer their thoughts on a portion of scripture or offer a meditation on some aspect of God and God's work in the world. Short sermons are also invited. Remember, this is a worship center; please keep your thoughts worshipful, and start a new thread for each new item.<P>Only Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Silence

Postby natman » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Our pastor used a portion of this video in a sermon recently and I thought it was absolutely profound...

SILENCE
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=eb ... &vq=medium

God is speaking. Do you hear him?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re: Silence

Postby trumpetbuff » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:11 pm

I love silence. I rarely turn the tv or radio on when I'm at home in the evenings by myself...when my wife is home, on goes the tv. I do believe all the noise around us is a distraction in hearing God. It really is difficult to have complete silence wherever you are...traffic, jets, people talking, machinery, and the list goes on and on. Right now, I'm at home alone with nothing on except the computer, but i hear wind, wind chimes, neighbor kids next door talking, traffic on the interstate about a half mile away, and the sound of computer keys...silence really is golden.
trumpetbuff
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:23 am

From a book I just finished.

Jerry

OUR WORDY WORLD

Silence is a rare commodity in our world. Everywhere we turn our senses are bombarded with messages both visual and auditory. Henri Nouwen recalls diving through Los Angeles and having the bizarre sense that he was traveling through a giant dictionary. "Wherever I looked there were words trying to take my eyes from the road. They said. 'Use me, take me, buy me, drink me, smell me, touch me, kiss me, sleep with me.' In such a world, who can maintain respect for words?"

Nouwen's problem with our "wordy world," as he calls it, is that the spiritual life must find its origin in silence. Centuries of Christian tradition and practice have verified this fact, and it crosses all denominational and theological camps. The holiness movement required silence to examine the condition of one's soul before God. The Jesuits prescribed silence to engage cycles of desolation and consolation. The Desert Fathers belived solitude and were at the core of prayer. Even the ubiquitous evangelical quiet time seems to verify the essential place of silence in our faith.But finding true silence requires more than quieting our surroundings. It also means quieting our souls. This is the real dilemma of living in a wordy world. Even when we are still and alone, Like the minutes before falling asleep in bed, our minds are racing with the images and words we've marinated in all day. It is inner silence that eludes us.

The interior clamor explains why so many people find silence un comfortable. As Nouwen explains, "One of our main problems is that in this chatty society, silence has become a very fearful thing. For most people, silence creates itchiness and nervousness." As a result we've been conditioned to avoid silence at all costs lest we be confronted with our own inner chaos. We manage to drown out the interior noise of our souls with the exterior noise of our world. And where there is no exterior noise we feverishly work to produce it. In our consumer culture silence is an unholy vacuum that must be filled. Even Christians, betraying their spiritual heritage, are eager to fill silence--albeit with endless words about God.

Skye Jethani
The Devine Commodity (2009)
pg 33-34
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:20 pm

trumpetbuff, like you I appreciate silence. Perhaps, being a musician, I like no-noise better than the random or obtrusive noises that bombard us in today's world...
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby New_Adventurer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:06 pm

The gold standard for words and their usage was Eric Sevareid of CBS News. The one story I remember the best was about the overuse of graphics and pictures in TV. He ended it by saying "Sometimes one good word is worth a thousand pictures." I sure miss him.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:30 am

jochanaan

I recently came across this quote.

"Artists paint on canvas, musicians paint on silence".
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:59 pm

jjsledge wrote:jochanaan

I recently came across this quote.

"Artists paint on canvas, musicians paint on silence".
Indeed. And like many painters with white canvas, sometimes we let the silence speak.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Larryk1052 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:22 pm

One of the things I like about hiking nude is the silence. A few days ago I hiked for about two hours in silence.
Larry in Kentucky

"Nude" just means barefoot all over.
Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby Johannes_1965 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:02 am

[quote="Larryk1052"]One of the things I like about hiking nude is the silence. A few days ago I hiked for about two hours in silence.[/quote]
I agree.
God is present in silence.
Keeping silence in a receiving, attentive, listening attitude is a form of inner prayer and a spiritual resource.
Johannes

(PS. I don't know why BBCode and the whole toolbar are off here, non existent)
Johannes_1965
Native Resident

Postby firefighter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:57 am

I do a daily reading every morning then I try to be silent to hear the wisper of God, but no sooner than I clear my head then all these random thought's rush back into my head. Even when relaxing in the sun or after prayer, I'm unable to be still and listen. A.D.D.? I can sweep all the thoughts from my head but it only last a split second then the door burst open and the thoughts come flooding back in.
firefighter
Native Resident

Postby Johannes_1965 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:45 pm

[quote="firefighter"]I do a daily reading every morning then I try to be silent to hear the wisper of God, but no sooner than I clear my head then all these random thought's rush back into my head. Even when relaxing in the sun or after prayer, I'm unable to be still and listen. A.D.D.? I can sweep all the thoughts from my head but it only last a split second then the door burst open and the thoughts come flooding back in.[/quote]

I don't know what "A.D.D.?" means but I know of the following aids against inner dispersion: You may ask about the contents of your thoughts, where they come from, and then do something about the source or integrate those thoughts into prayer.
To practice inner silence it's helpful to cut down on television and other sources of acustical and image noise.
Then it's helpful to pray more constantly: "Pray without ceasing" (1Thess 5,17 or Luke 18,1) for example by invoking the name of Jesus or his Divine mercy frequently so that prayer becomes a more common state of mind and a joy of the heart.
Moreover it might be helpful just to observe beautiful things intensly, to perceive the body more consciously, to be present to oneself and to nature.
Johannes
Johannes_1965
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:59 pm

Johannes_1965 wrote:I don't know what "A.D.D.?" means...
Attention Deficit Disorder.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:59 am

natman wrote:Our pastor used a portion of this video in a sermon recently and I thought it was absolutely profound...

SILENCE
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=eb ... &vq=medium
Apparently silence has been silenced
YouTube wrote:This video has been remmoved by the user
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Johannes_1965 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:02 pm

[quote="Bare_Truth"]...Apparently silence has been silenced ...[/quote]

That won't hinder us to keep silence and to seek God in silence.
Johannes
Johannes_1965
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:51 pm

Johannes_1965 wrote:
Bare_Truth wrote:...Apparently silence has been silenced ...

That won't hinder us to keep silence and to seek God in silence.
Johannes

Well it may be so, but I would really like to know what caused natman to declare that particular video to be "absolutely profound".
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Next

Return to Worship in Devotional Thoughts