Read through the Bible in 2013

Members are invited to offer their thoughts on a portion of scripture or offer a meditation on some aspect of God and God's work in the world. Short sermons are also invited. Remember, this is a worship center; please keep your thoughts worshipful, and start a new thread for each new item.<P>Only Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Read through the Bible in 2013

Postby bn2bnude » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:13 pm

As we close in on a new year, let me encourage you all to read or listen through the Bible this next year.

I started doing this about 7 years ago and it was life and mind changing. Let me explain why.

It is quite easy to get tunnel vision as we study Scripture. We find a topic we like and zero in on it, to the exclusion of the larger story being told. The book we call "The Bible" is so much more than that. While there are varying degrees of what I am saying here, lets just say that

1) The Bible is inspired by God and the Holy Spirit
2) At least one purpose if not the purpose of the Bible is to point to Christ
3) The Bible is not a collection of verses that we are to dig through but a story of God's love for humanity

That said, let me provide a couple of resources that may help. I've interacted with many of these in various capacities.

Daily Audio Bible: If you don't read, can't read or it isn't your learning style, try the Daily Audio Bible. Each week is read from a different version of the Bible but you progress through in 1 year. This will be, I believe, the eighth year. There are also podcasts in several other languages. There are also forums and links to various social media. In addition, they have Android and iPhone apps. The Daily Audio Bible was started by one guy and has become a world wide community of listeners.

YouVersion: Also a web based way of reading through the Bible. There are many different reading plans available and quite a few different languages available. YouVersion was started by a mega-church in Oklahoma that gives away a lot of their resources. There are smart phone apps available as well as working through the web.

BlueLetterBible.com: In addition to being a good Bible Study tool, BlueLetterBible has several different reading plans.

BiblePlan: I've got no experience with this site but it looks like they will email the scripture to read daily.

BibleGateway: One of my go-to Bible sources on line...

Read the Bible in a year: No experience but... Looks interesting.

This is just a start, doing a web search will provide quite a few more options.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Re: Read through the Bible in 2013

Postby bn2bnude » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:33 pm

Here are a couple more reading plans. I've not had any experience with any of them.:

52 week bible reading plan: Sort of a different organization but it looks interesting.

Heart Light: Some interesting ideas. The one I noticed that I thought I might like is The Story of the Bible plan.

Back to the Bible: Again, a couple of interesting plans here
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:02 pm

I've read the entire Bible many times and studied a lot of it, and all that does is make me realize how little I know.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Johannes_1965 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:07 pm

bn2bnude wrote:As we close in on a new year, let me encourage you all to read or listen through the Bible this next year.

I started doing this about 7 years ago and it was life and mind changing. Let me explain why.

It is quite easy to get tunnel vision as we study Scripture. We find a topic we like and zero in on it, to the exclusion of the larger story being told. The book we call "The Bible" is so much more than that. While there are varying degrees of what I am saying here, lets just say that

1) The Bible is inspired by God and the Holy Spirit
2) At least one purpose if not the purpose of the Bible is to point to Christ
3) The Bible is not a collection of verses that we are to dig through but a story of God's love for humanity

Great point, I see it like that, too. I've read the whole Bible, but only twice. I read every day selected sections that turn around the text used in liturgy. Even though I believe the whole Bible is inspired by God, different parts speak very differently to me and have different "weight" in spiritual life and faith. So I prefer to read in a selected way and not to force myself any longer into long sections that I find boring or of merely historical interest.
But nevertheless thanks for the proposed links.
Johannes
"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit..."
(John 15,5)
Johannes_1965
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Johannes_1965 wrote:Great point, I see it like that, too. I've read the whole Bible, but only twice. I read every day selected sections that turn around the text used in liturgy. Even though I believe the whole Bible is inspired by God, different parts speak very differently to me and have different "weight" in spiritual life and faith. So I prefer to read in a selected way and not to force myself any longer into long sections that I find boring or of merely historical interest.
But nevertheless thanks for the proposed links.
Johannes

I understand and can agree. Especially the genealogies in Numbers and some of the Law in Deuteronomy, Numbers and Leviticus can get a little long, tending to make me cross-eyed.

On the other hand, I've found some real gems in those passages that have, honestly, surprised me.

Because I am kinesthetic, being able to listen has been a real blessing -- I can do other things while listening which helps me comprehend (I know, odd).

In addition, a lot of the scriptures were originally written down as transcriptions of the oral stories passed from generation to generation. As a result, I've been able to get much more of the feel of the "story" of scripture... To the point where nearly every year, God has knocked the supports out of something I thought I was "certain" about.

If this keeps up, I'll be a quivering mess on the floor.

bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Jon-Marc wrote:I've read the entire Bible many times and studied a lot of it, and all that does is make me realize how little I know.

I agree... Also, notice the Mark Twain quote in my signature.

bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Johannes_1965 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:18 am

bn2bnude wrote:Because I am kinesthetic, being able to listen has been a real blessing -- I can do other things while listening which helps me comprehend (I know, odd).

First time I hear about this kinesthetic learning style. It makes me understand better your ever moving avatar and what was going on in some classrooms. I'm the reading-writing type learner and have "two left hands".
Johannes
"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit..."
(John 15,5)
Johannes_1965
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:05 am

Johannes_1965 wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:Because I am kinesthetic, being able to listen has been a real blessing -- I can do other things while listening which helps me comprehend (I know, odd).

First time I hear about this kinesthetic learning style. It makes me understand better your ever moving avatar and what was going on in some classrooms. I'm the reading-writing type learner and have "two left hands".
Johannes

That is admirable as well. The nice thing is that because of technology (such as computers and as far back as the printing press), God does accommodate each learning style.

I've been told that reason you see statements in scripture like Psalm 19:10 where the law was compared to sweetness is that as Hebrew boys were taught the law, they would dip their fingers in honey as a tactile reminder of what they were memorizing.

bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:50 pm

The ancient rituals as passed down among the children of Israel tend to appeal to all our senses. Example: At the end of the Sabbath in orthodox households, the family passes around a container of mixed spices, like a potpourri, and breathe its scent; sensuously reminding us of the Sabbath's sweet nature. 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to Worship in Devotional Thoughts