Whats right with the church?

Members are invited to offer their thoughts on a portion of scripture or offer a meditation on some aspect of God and God's work in the world. Short sermons are also invited. Remember, this is a worship center; please keep your thoughts worshipful, and start a new thread for each new item.<P>Only Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby Johannes_1965 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:43 pm

bn2bnude wrote:
Jon-Marc wrote:It always seems easier for people to point out what's wrong (because there's too often more wrong than right) with a church or Christianity in general than to bother with what's right.

You are correct. On the other hand, had people not kept searching for more truth, the first three reformations may not have happened.
Maybe it's time for the fourth?

The Church always needs reform and conversion of it's members, but not a reformation which kicks out some essentials to make it better. We agree that what's right with the Church is Jesus Christ, our Lord and God.
But we don't agree about what Jesus wanted and instituted for the Church according to holy scriptures and holy tradition. And all that is right with the Church, too.
Johannes
"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit..."
(John 15,5)
Johannes_1965
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:36 am

The Church is / any church is a living organism. Which guarantees it is constantly changing, as parts fall off, are injured, grow, atrophy, are generated and regenerated. What is good is the change and renewal is controlled by the DNA - Christ and Spirit and the Father's plan.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:36 pm

I have worked with teams that I am glad I served with.
I went to Haiti and yes there were groups that went there for a paid vacation, but our group went to work and minister. I believe all paid their own way and most took time off from work (their vacation). We did many construction projects and helped to make life better for the people that live there. Most of us worked at an orphanage.

I went to Dominican Republic and helped build a church building. Here again the people paid their own way and many took their vacation time to go.

I have been on trips to help after tornado(s). In one case at least a hundred people showed up. Many were Christians.

I was reporting for a local Christian newspaper and covered a pro-life protest at a local abortion clinic. You may not agree with the way they were doing it, but they took a stand and were even willing to be arrested, to try and save the life of the unborn.

I am not telling this to elevate myself but to give a report. I was there and saw Christians giving their time and money, to do something for others and for Christ.
Yes, God us moving through His people today.

In Him
Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby prairieboy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:50 pm

Petros wrote:The Church is / any church is a living organism.

Amen, although I would not say any church. Just as true circumcision is of the heart, and not physical, (Romans 2:29) so the body of Christ is a living organism, and not an institution defined by any particular physical lineage. The church is spiritual, the body of Christ, made up of spiritual beings, who happen to inhabit physical bodies. Most physical churches contain part of the true church, but most also contain people that are still spiritually dead.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:04 am

prairieboy wrote:

Amen, although I would not say any church. Just as true circumcision is of the heart, and not physical, (Romans 2:29) so the body of Christ is a living organism, and not an institution defined by any particular physical lineage. The church is spiritual, the body of Christ, made up of spiritual beings, who happen to inhabit physical bodies. Most physical churches contain part of the true church, but most also contain people that are still spiritually dead.

We need to remember the following things:
  • The church is NOT the building, even though we often refer to the building that way.
  • The church is NOT the institution/corporation often housed in that building even though we often refer to the church that way.
At best, these things are (Strongs G1577)

• The gathering (whether in or out of a building, whether informal or incorporated)
  • The whole body of believers world wide (in spite of the denominational boundaries)
In several books (and you see this in Colossians), Frank Viola mentions that Christ, being the "Second Adam" birthed the Church from his side as he died on the Cross, just like Eve was "birthed" from Adam's side.

What is right with the Church? The church is the Bride of Christ. It will continue to live on in spite of the harm those in it bring by their idolatry, selfishness, ignorance and the whole list of other sins that each and every living being that is part of her commits.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:13 am

prairieboy wrote:

An incredible proportion of a gloriously living tree is dead wood.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:29 pm

As for song leaders in churches, I was visiting a church one time when I was a teen and was in a bad mood--can't remember why. Because of my bad mood, I told myself that I would not sing. The music leader was so energetic and lively and apparently enjoyed what he was doing, it wasn't long before I was singing and enjoying myself.

Hoping not to sound as though I'm bragging, I was that type of song leader once I studied music and took music directing lessons. While my knowledge of music is very limited, I do have some Bible college training in music so that I can read music to some degree and use both hands for directing. I loved it more than anything else I've done, and I miss it. However, because of allergy problems and becoming very short of breath, I've had to give that up--including singing special music.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Worship in Devotional Thoughts