Whats right with the church?

Members are invited to offer their thoughts on a portion of scripture or offer a meditation on some aspect of God and God's work in the world. Short sermons are also invited. Remember, this is a worship center; please keep your thoughts worshipful, and start a new thread for each new item.<P>Only Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Whats right with the church?

Postby ezduzit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:41 am

Short sermon on whats right with the church
Ez

What`s Right With The Church ? by Don Hutto

Matthew 16:13-16:18


I. Introduction

My wife and I had the opportunity to be out of town this last weekend, and we visited another church. As soon as service was over I caught myself pointing out what was wrong with the church. Their bulletin was different than ours. Their order of service was different than ours. Their nursery wasn’t clearly marked. Their pastor stood in one place the entire time he was preaching. I was picking out petty things that cannot possibly affect the way a person will worship if his heart is right with God.
I began to realize that instead of pointing out what is wrong with the church we should be pointing out what is right with the church.

II. What’s Right With the Church?

A. The Church Has the Right Foundation


Everything must have a proper foundation. Whether it is a marriage, a building, or a church.
"For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ." ( 1 Cor. 3:11)

The church has the right foundation because Jesus is that foundation!

B. The Church Has the Right Leadership

The leadership sets the pace for the body. What is the leadership of the church?
1. Some say the deacons. "Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business." (Acts 6:3) But it is clear from this verse that the deacons are chosen by a higher authority so they are not the leader.

2. Some say the pastor is the leader of the church. Consider what Paul wrote to the church at Ephesis. "And He gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." (Eph. 4:11, 12). But even here we see that the office of pastor was given by One of higher authority.

3. To clearly understand the leadership of the church we need to look at Paul’s teachings about marriage."For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and He is the saviour of the body." (Eph. 5:23). God’s Word clearly tells us that Jesus is the head of the church because He is the savior. The deacons cannot be the head because they are not the savior. The pastor cannot be the head because he has no nail scars in his hands.

The church has the right leadership because Jesus is that leadership!

C. The Church Has the Right Doctrine

Doctrine is simply that which we teach. Some teach truth. Some teach falsehood. Those who teach falsehood pervert the Word of God. Those who teach truth affirm the Word of God. John said, "Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son." (2 John 9).

The church has the right doctrine because Jesus is that doctrine!

D. The Church Has the Right Purpose

Every organization has a purpose. The purpose of IBM is to make computers and to make money. The purpose of a school is to teach students. The purpose of Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous is to help people overcome addiction and dependency on these items. Even the church has a purpose. Jesus told us what that is when He said, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Matt. 28:19, 20).
The church has the right purpose because sharing Jesus is that purpose!

E. The Church Has the Right Reward

Nobody does nothing for nothing. We work 40 hours a week because we expect a paycheck at the end of the week. We plant a garden because we expect to harvest fresh vegetables. We all expect a reward of some kind, and the church is no different. We sing "Will there be any stars in my crown" because we expect not only a crown, but stars, too!
1. Jesus promises us a reward. In the book of Revelation He says, "And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." (Rev. 22:12). But He doesn’t say what that reward is. Is is fame? Wealth? Power?
2. To find what our reward will be we need to go back to the first book of the Bible, the book of Genesis. While Abram was travelling away from his family and home God said to him in a vision saying, "Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward." (Gen. 15:1). Did you get that? God Himself is our reward! Again the book of Revelation tells us in Chapter 22:4 we "shall see His face." We will see Jesus!

The church has the right reward because Jesus is that reward!

III. Conclusion

Anybody can tell you what’s wrong with the church but I want to tell you what’s right with the church. What’s right with the church? Jesus!
ezduzit
 

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby Petros » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:04 am

I forget which of the Screwtape Letters applies here - but it certainly does.

A recovering nitpicker myself.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
User avatar
Petros
Native Resident
 
Posts: 5150
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:35 am

Thank you for this EZ.

I recently attended a church (and there are several around like this) with no senior pastor because they believe Jesus is the senior pastor.

I recently read a blog post where the guy writing it was telling how he used to be exclusive in his theology to his particular leanings until he realized there was truth in every church tradition. He said he didn't agree with all the Roman Catholics said but he was able to filter that out to what he felt was beneficial. This continued through each of the traditions.

If I can ever locate that post again, I'll link to it.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)



If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
User avatar
bn2bnude
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 am
Location: Denver

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:42 am

bn2bnude wrote:Thank you for this EZ.

I recently attended a church (and there are several around like this) with no senior pastor because they believe Jesus is the senior pastor.

I recently read a blog post where the guy writing it was telling how he used to be exclusive in his theology to his particular leanings until he realized there was truth in every church tradition. He said he didn't agree with all the Roman Catholics said but he was able to filter that out to what he felt was beneficial. This continued through each of the traditions.

If I can ever locate that post again, I'll link to it.



Found it... http://www.internetmonk.com/archive/42018
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)



If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
User avatar
bn2bnude
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 am
Location: Denver

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby ezduzit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:57 am

bn2bnude wrote:Thank you for this EZ.

I recently attended a church (and there are several around like this) with no senior pastor because they believe Jesus is the senior pastor.

I recently read a blog post where the guy writing it was telling how he used to be exclusive in his theology to his particular leanings until he realized there was truth in every church tradition. He said he didn't agree with all the Roman Catholics said but he was able to filter that out to what he felt was beneficial. This continued through each of the traditions.

If I can ever locate that post again, I'll link to it.


It is true that Christ is head of the church , but the office of a pastor is Biblical......
Ez

Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

Also note ! ..........

1 Ptr. 5:1-3 ; 1 Tim. 3:1-7 ; Titus 1:5-9
ezduzit
 

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby ezduzit » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:20 am

Petros wrote:I forget which of the Screwtape Letters applies here - but it certainly does.

A recovering nitpicker myself.


I wouldn`t put much credence/reliance in CS Lewis or his opinions about spiritual things
Ez
ezduzit
 

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby Petros » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:19 pm

??

Are you up to speed on the Screwtape Letters?

I do not take CSL as a big theological authority - though I have found him pretty solid on the fundamentals.

But Screwtape is rather good on pointinng out a lot of the enemy dsourced stumbling blocks, and the letter I am thinking of - which I will link if I can find it] clearly supports your point.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
User avatar
Petros
Native Resident
 
Posts: 5150
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:01 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:12 pm

ezduzit wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:Thank you for this EZ.

I recently attended a church (and there are several around like this) with no senior pastor because they believe Jesus is the senior pastor.

I recently read a blog post where the guy writing it was telling how he used to be exclusive in his theology to his particular leanings until he realized there was truth in every church tradition. He said he didn't agree with all the Roman Catholics said but he was able to filter that out to what he felt was beneficial. This continued through each of the traditions.

If I can ever locate that post again, I'll link to it.


It is true that Christ is head of the church , but the office of a pastor is Biblical......
Ez

Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

Also note ! ..........

1 Ptr. 5:1-3 ; 1 Tim. 3:1-7 ; Titus 1:5-9



True, the office of pastor is biblical but is the "Senior Pastor" a biblical office? The point being made explicitly and by several other churches I know of is there is one man at the head of the church... That man heads the church seated at the right hand of the Father.

I believe we've also had a brief discussion in the past as to the Biblical vs. the Current/cultural definition of pastor is.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)



If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
User avatar
bn2bnude
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 am
Location: Denver

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby ezduzit » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:23 am

bn2bnude wrote:
ezduzit wrote:
bn2bnude wrote:Thank you for this EZ.

I recently attended a church (and there are several around like this) with no senior pastor because they believe Jesus is the senior pastor.

I recently read a blog post where the guy writing it was telling how he used to be exclusive in his theology to his particular leanings until he realized there was truth in every church tradition. He said he didn't agree with all the Roman Catholics said but he was able to filter that out to what he felt was beneficial. This continued through each of the traditions.

If I can ever locate that post again, I'll link to it.


It is true that Christ is head of the church , but the office of a pastor is Biblical......
Ez

Jeremiah 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.

Also note ! ..........

1 Ptr. 5:1-3 ; 1 Tim. 3:1-7 ; Titus 1:5-9



True, the office of pastor is biblical but is the "Senior Pastor" a biblical office? The point being made explicitly and by several other churches I know of is there is one man at the head of the church... That man heads the church seated at the right hand of the Father.

I believe we've also had a brief discussion in the past as to the Biblical vs. the Current/cultural definition of pastor is.


I see no reference to a "senior pastor" , perhaps modern day churches have changed the concept of using deacons as " pastors "?
Once again I agree that Christ is the Head of the Church , but there is a danger and IMHO an un Biblical thought to having two heads.


Moses was called the"shepherd of his flock" Isa. 63:11
Joshua was their next leader, their next "shepherd." Num.27:16,17
God told David," Thou shalt feed my people Israel, and thou shalt be a captain over Israel."(2 Sam.5:2) prince-overseer
Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph.5:21-33 one head of the church , one husband but reverence shown to both

Ez
ezduzit
 

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby ezduzit » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:47 am

More thoughts concerning multiple " pastors"
Ez

http://www.bbc.edu/seminary/resources/j ... me11_1.asp
ezduzit
 

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:51 am

ezduzit wrote:I see no reference to a "senior pastor" , perhaps modern day churches have changed the concept of using deacons as " pastors "?
Once again I agree that Christ is the Head of the Church , but there is a danger and IMHO an un Biblical thought to having two heads.

I believe that is also the fear of these churches, they are showing their submission to Christ. In this particular church, it is big enough to have several pastors, one of which is on the church board. None of them, however, individually set the direction for the church.

ezduzit wrote:Moses was called the"shepherd of his flock" Isa. 63:11
Joshua was their next leader, their next "shepherd." Num.27:16,17
God told David," Thou shalt feed my people Israel, and thou shalt be a captain over Israel."(2 Sam.5:2) prince-overseer
Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Eph.5:21-33 one head of the church , one husband but reverence shown to both

Ez


The thing that may get missed about shepherds is that, especially in the time of the Old Testament, the shepherd often didn't own the herd. The shepherd merely does what the owner needs done.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)



If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
User avatar
bn2bnude
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 am
Location: Denver

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby jochanaan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:07 am

In my old church, where the "staff" was listed in the bulletins, the first line read: "Ministers....All Christians." :)

If a church needs multiple pastors, perhaps it's time to--not "divide" or "break" it, but to multiply it and let Jesus be in fact the Senior Pastor. And if in fact any branch of The Church is founded on, led by, and teaching Jesus, it has much right with it. The problems come when other people, places or things get in the way...
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6335
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:20 pm

It always seems easier for people to point out what's wrong (because there's too often more wrong than right) with a church or Christianity in general than to bother with what's right.

This reminds me of a pastor I had for 20 years who was confronted by a woman who started out the conversation with, "I may have my faults, but---". That's as far as she got when the pastor interrupted her and said, "That's fascinating! I always have people pointing out my faults, but no one has ever admitted to having any faults of their own. Could you elaborate a little on that?" That shut the woman up, and she said no more.

Unfortunately, even people claiming to be a Christian like to point out the pastor's faults, faults with the church, faults with other people in the church, faults with the song service. That's one of my pet peeves--a lifeless song service. When I mentioned that to one pastor, he told me which church to go to for livelier music. As a Baptist, I'm amazed at the difference in just the song service in different churches--especially with being involved with the song service for about 40 years as a soloist, part of a group, and as a congregational song leader.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
User avatar
Jon-Marc
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:05 pm
Location: Jacumba, CA

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby jochanaan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:26 pm

Jon-Marc wrote:...This reminds me of a pastor I had for 20 years who was confronted by a woman who started out the conversation with, "I may have my faults, but---". That's as far as she got when the pastor interrupted her and said, "That's fascinating! I always have people pointing out my faults, but no one has ever admitted to having any faults of their own. Could you elaborate a little on that?" That shut the woman up, and she said no more.
LOL! :lol:
Jon-Marc wrote:Unfortunately, even people claiming to be a Christian like to point out the pastor's faults, faults with the church, faults with other people in the church, faults with the song service. That's one of my pet peeves--a lifeless song service. When I mentioned that to one pastor, he told me which church to go to for livelier music. As a Baptist, I'm amazed at the difference in just the song service in different churches--especially with being involved with the song service for about 40 years as a soloist, part of a group, and as a congregational song leader.
There are church music leaders who, though trained in "church music," have little heart for the work; maybe they felt "obligated" to take the job. But there are those, trained or untrained, who give body, mind and spirit to the music; these are the ones with whom I love to worship!
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6335
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Whats right with the church?

Postby bn2bnude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:51 pm

Jon-Marc wrote:It always seems easier for people to point out what's wrong (because there's too often more wrong than right) with a church or Christianity in general than to bother with what's right.


You are correct. On the other hand, had people not kept searching for more truth, the first three reformations may not have happened.

Maybe it's time for the fourth?
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)



If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
User avatar
bn2bnude
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2711
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:09 am
Location: Denver

Next

Return to Worship in Devotional Thoughts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest