Psalm 42:1-4

Members are invited to offer their thoughts on a portion of scripture or offer a meditation on some aspect of God and God's work in the world. Short sermons are also invited. Remember, this is a worship center; please keep your thoughts worshipful, and start a new thread for each new item.<P>Only Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Psalm 42:1-4

Postby bn2bnude » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:37 am

The passages I have been seeing in Psalms have been striking me lately.

Psalm 42:1-4 reads:

As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.

My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?

My tears have been my food
day and night,
while men say to me all day long,
"Where is your God?"

These things I remember
as I pour out my soul:
how I used to go with the multitude,
leading the procession to the house of God,
with shouts of joy and thanksgiving
among the festive throng.

With this passage, Ask myself these things....

Do I really THIRST for God or do I try "drinking" other things?

Do I stand firm with God, pouring my soul out?

When I lead my family to Church do I celebrate God or do I simply go to fulfill an obligation?
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:55 pm

Unfortunately, too many people are guilty of going to church out of "duty" and not because they love going and can't wait to sing God's prasies and hear His word. I'm afraid I've been guilty of that also. Psalm 51:12 says "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation." Too many of us have lost the joy we once had. I once craved to be with God's people and loved the singing and preaching, and now I can't wait for the pastor to finish so I to get back home. Oh, what happened to the joy I once had?
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby scurtis » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:07 pm

Jon-Marc wrote:Unfortunately, too many people are guilty of going to church out of "duty" and not because they love going

Most Sundays I get up eager to get to church. In all honesty, there is the occasional Sunday when it is only that sense of duty that gets me there. I have an obligation to be there. These are the Sundays I most need to be there. I can tell the difference just by walking in the door. By the time worship service starts, I wonder why I was considering not going that day. It isn't so much a lack of faith or desire, but an unwanted attack.

God can and will speak to those who are there only because of a sense of duty. I once heard of a man who said something like this; "If Jesus comes back, my chances are better standing inside the [church] door than outside in the rain". I pray that he and those like him hear the Word that is spoken.

:edit: Has anyone ever had an attack that was wanted?
Sam (the 2nd one)

God must have a sense of humor, He made me.
scurtis
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:40 am

There have been times I almost didn't go to church for whatever sorry excuse I had, and I have always been glad that I did end up going. One time I'm expecially thankful I went is the night my church voted me in as a member, because I almost didn't go. :D
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Return to Worship in Devotional Thoughts