The Age of Innocence

What family issues do you wish to discuss here? Parenting, coupling, stages of life, discussing naturism with reluctant family members, growing in Christ as a family? Anything else?<P>Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Desert Hiker, Senior Moderator, Moderators

The Age of Innocence

Postby nudie66 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:09 pm

As the owner of a business that transfers home videos and such to DVD's (see my strip "Prosser Video Dubs" under the People Connecting with People forum), I've noticed consistently that even though most parents, including devout Christian parents who teach their children that 'modesty' means to avoid any kind of partial disrobing or two-piece bathing suits that would appear like semi-nudity, all still have a yearning to relive their own age of innocence. These parents do this by videotaping or taking pictures of their toddlers, which sometimes includes siblings or even cousins, playing together in the bathroom tub, having the time of their lives, with not a care in the world that they're interacting together completely nude. It's as if these parents find joy in sharing the innocence of social nudity through their young children.

Why is it that parents want to capture the innocence of their children in the tub, by taking pictures of their little bottoms, to be preserved for all posterior - - oops, I meant, posterity?

I believe it is because we all long for the freedom that the age of innocence offered us. The majority of us are taught, eventually, around school-age, to change our clothes with the bedroom door shut, or to undress in the bathroom where no one will see us. No wonder that many of us as adults wish we could "get away with" a skinnydip or some other expression of innocent social nudity. And yet, most people balk at the idea of a nude beach - a comfortable place where the age of innocence has no age limit. These parents feel the need to be free, yet can only satisfy that yearning during the short time their children are unaware they themselves are nude and free.

Any thoughts on this? (I'm sure there will be...)
I transfer camcorder tapes & other family memories to DVD. http://prosservideodubs.com/
nudie66
Native Resident

Re: The Age of Innocence

Postby MoNatureMan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:56 pm

Very interesting thought.
One of my neighbors had twins and they commonly ran around naked in the back yard. Of course the mom was nearby, so they were safe.
But as you have stated, if it is OK for the young and innocent (sort of like Adam and Eve), why is it so bad for the older? Especially in a safe place? Answer - that is what society demands.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:08 pm

That's a good point, Ron... when you're within the safety of your own home, it's not about 'society'; it's your family. It's a shame that even inside the home, nudity is shunned after a certain age.
I transfer camcorder tapes & other family memories to DVD. http://prosservideodubs.com/
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:10 am

I have mentioned this in other posts, but it seems like 'Christianity' has sort of excepted the societal idea that nudity is bad. That then affects inside the home.

I have heard of cases that a husband and wife, even after having children, never saw each other naked. That seems difficult to believe, and would seem very difficult. I think that would require a religious view of nudity.

Also when on a missionary trip, i observed, that it was the Christian missionaries that worked at keeping the children clothed. There is a lot of history in Christianity with common non-sexual nudity. In the Bible. In the Vatican (see Pictures in my gallery). And many other sources. The change seems to have happened (at least in the US) in the mid 1900s.

In Him
Ron :cross:
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:02 am

The societal and ecclesiastic antinude campaigns are multifaceted and there is a lot of the nature / nurture chicken / egg debates in there.

But I think you are wrong here:

"I have heard of cases that a husband and wife, even after having children, never saw each other naked. That seems difficult to believe, and would seem very difficult. I think that would require a religious view of nudity."

Herself's aversion to anyone, even me, even herself seeing her less than fully clothed, clearly, based on our discussions, is from inside, not derived from any external teaching.

Of course, you may be using "religious" in the less common sense; for many it IS tied to an inflexible external system of laws, which may either be theistic or atheistic - some of the strictest religions have no divine entity.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:15 am

I believe the anti nudity stance must stem from some kind of conditioning, whether societal r religious though those who feel that way may not know where it comes from. My wife is mostly opposed to nudity though she doesn't object to me seeing her nude "in appropriate settings" such as the bath or when changing clothing. And the same applies to other females but will not go nude on a regular basis and has created the same mindset in both our daughter and granddaughter who live with us. The subject isn't discussed except to chastise me about covering up, though they're okay with me going shirtless around the home when we're alone.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:56 pm

I know that religion is used to declare 'nudity is wrong'. You can see that in most 'Christian' churches in the US. Yes, even without Scriptural basis. So that view must have come from society. But then look at Islamic cultures, where religion clearly defines clothes to be worn. So as said. Is nudity wrong because society has adapted religion or the other way around. It appears the two also feed on each other.
We could add legal into that, but is generally a result of the other two.

In Him
Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:03 pm

Lost a response - oh, well.

I think what it comes down to is certain types get power or praise or self esteem out of getting others to do this or avoid that - and both churches and governments and institutions are crawling with them. They wil use laws and preaching and TwitTweets to get everyine in line.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:26 am

The churches, in reacting (sometimes overreacting) to lack of societal standards regarding sexuality, have unfortunately bought into the social idea that "one doesn't get naked except for showers and sex." They have exchanged God's love for his creation including human bodies for a mental construct that encourages shame or "shamelessness" (read: exhibitionism). They have forgotten what we in this Village have rediscovered, that the human body is good, innocent, beautiful and holy, and that getting accustomed to seeing uncovered humans does not evoke lust but rather counteracts lust.

It still amazes me that people who get so many things right get this so wrong. :cry:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:12 am

With toddlers being taught to cover up, the so-called "age of innocence" is quickly lost. I couldn't believe it when my daughter yelled at her 4-year-old daughter not to run around in a T-shirt and underwear in front of her younger brothers. Unfortunately, that's what we're getting--parents teaching their very young children to be ashamed of their bodies and to cover up. Yet those children can't tell you why they must cover up--only that they were taught to do it. Adults will more than likely tell you, "It's what I was taught." They don't know why either, but it's what they were taught. I wasn't taught anything like that, which would explain why I loved being nude all through my childhood and teen years and still do. The subject of nudity never came up in our family.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:12 am

Unfortunately my own 4 year old granddaughter has been taught to cover up from a very early age, rarely allowed to run naked and free to the point she is now conditioned to wear clothing full-time, regardless of the weather.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Return to Family issues