Who We Are - Where We Live in the world

New members are invited to introduce themselves here. It doesn't have to be long, and you don't have to reveal any personal information you're not comfortable with sharing. We don't allow any web links or email addresses here. Please reserve your naturist comments for Are You a Naturist? You must post here before gaining access to the Full Member category. All New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Where do you live?

US/North America
87%
South America
1%
Britain/Europe
6%
Asia
No votes
Africa
3%
Austrailia
No votes
Somewhere Else
3%

Total votes : 102

Re: Who We Are - Where We Live in the world

Postby Petros » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:50 am

The other side of it. When I was new in London, seeking digs, I found a likely place, but the sign in the tobacconist's window clearly stated "Only Europeans Need Apply". I was - still am - an American, but I was desperate. I called the number, "I'm not a European, I'm an American," I told the woman. "Is that okay?" She told me yes.

I lived there two years; after a bit I understood. I have always wished I could have seen her face if, after she told the American to come, he turned out to be a New Orleans black or a Californian named Wong.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Petros wrote:The other side of it. When I was new in London, seeking digs, I found a likely place, but the sign in the tobacconist's window clearly stated "Only Europeans Need Apply". I was - still am - an American, but I was desperate. I called the number, "I'm not a European, I'm an American," I told the woman. "Is that okay?" She told me yes.

I lived there two years; after a bit I understood. I have always wished I could have seen her face if, after she told the American to come, he turned out to be a New Orleans black or a Californian named Wong.
We have discrimination laws. If that was after 1968 it was illegal.
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:58 am

It was in point of fact 1965.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:23 pm

Less enlightened times :(
balaam
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:24 pm

If the United Kingdom chose to admit millions of foreigners to permanent residence, it is fool-hardy to then tell these newcomers that they can live here, but not there, shop here, but not there, work here, but not there. "There" might as well be nowhere and you create an impoverished criminal element with no sense of being British. Not good!
Should the UK have allowed so many foreigners to move their already crowded island?
Maybe not, but what's done is done. Time to assimilate or risk civil war.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:57 am

The UK has had these laws making discrimination on race, sex or religion starting in 1968. And we are getting better tr enforcing those laws.

As far as being overcrowded, whenever I fly in or out of the UK most of the flight is over green fields. A greater area of the UK is covered by incoming tides than is built on. We are far from overcrowded except in the minds of a few far right racist politicians.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Great Britain cannot feed itself, it must import food from abroad. And precious little of the country is left in wilderness.
London is huge compared to when my family left.
I believe that when calculating space, more room for trees and wild animals should be part of the equation.
And no, sheep are not a wild animal!
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Please Introduce Yourself