Who We Are - Religious Background

New members are invited to introduce themselves here. It doesn't have to be long, and you don't have to reveal any personal information you're not comfortable with sharing. We don't allow any web links or email addresses here. Please reserve your naturist comments for Are You a Naturist? You must post here before gaining access to the Full Member category. All New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

What is your religious background?

Roman Catholic/Orthodox Catholic
8%
Methodist
7%
Lutheran
3%
Presbyterian
5%
Episcopal/Church of England
3%
Baptist
26%
Pentecostal
9%
Non-denominational Christian/Other
34%
Latter Day Saints
1%
Non-Christian
3%

Total votes : 121

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby bn2bnude » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:03 am

Non-denominational here... I have found that over the last several years of reading scripture, I am edging closer and closer to Mennonite, actually.

Ramblinman wrote:
natman wrote:I do not know where people automatically assume that "Baptists" are "legalistic". There is nothing in any of the Baptist conventions that would point to that conclusion. However, there are a FEW Baptist congregations that attempt to enforce legalism upon their members. But then, that appears to be true for nearly every other denomination as well.

There may be more than a "few" legalists among them. The SBC for one has been taken over by them at times. A lot of biblical but non-legalistic Baptists feel that they no longer have a home with the Southern Baptist Convention.
I visited an American Baptist affiliated congregation in other years and was pleasantly surprised with the more grace-focused attitude.

I attended several different Baptist churches and there are a wide range. Because of that, however, I would agree that Baptist churches do come across as legalistic on the surface. The one I attended for some time in college felt that no other church was "quite right".

The interesting thing about it, however, was that the people were more legalistic than the pastor preached.
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Larryk1052 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:00 pm

Since the Lord saved me back in 1980 I have been a member of a Baptist church. As I think back on the various churches I have been a member of or had some association with, it is hard to reconcile how a church that preaches salvation by grace apart from the law could be so legalistic and dogmatic. I have seen and heard preachers blast other preachers because they differed on whether wine or grape juice should be used in the Lord's supper, or whether it was pre trib or post trib rapture.

I am now a member of a SBC. It is a conservative church, but they don't seem as legalistic as some churches. About 11 years ago my best friend and the man who lead me to the Lord called and blasted me for joining a SBC said I owed him an apology and hung up. Havn't heard from him since.
Larry in Kentucky

"Nude" just means barefoot all over.
Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:07 pm

Ramblinman wrote:Ahem, Methodist tally please? :areyouthere?:

I only have the ability to offer ten options. Since no one selected Orthodoxed, I combined Roman Catholic and Orthodoxed Catholic and added a place for Methodists. I also added the word "/Other" to Non-Denominational Christian.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby natman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:
Dictionary.com wrote:ma·jor·i·ty
  noun, plural -ties.
1. the greater part or number; the number larger than half the total

plu·ral·i·ty
noun, plural -ties.
1.the excess of votes received by the leading candidate, in an election in which there are three or more candidates, over those received by the next candidate

The Baptist vote has a plurality of 3 or 13% But not a "Majority"

BT, Thanks for the clarification.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby roltyde » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm a longtime believer as is my wife.
roltyde
Resident

Postby mj6 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:17 pm

DW and I were both raised in very conservative Lutheran Families. She is still very conservative but has an open mind.
mj6
Resident

Postby pickypilot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:22 pm

Always Christian but, due to a number of reasons, Non Denominational, Lutheran, Methodist and Pentecostal! As long as the Gospel is not watered down...
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
pickypilot
Resident

Postby forsaken » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:23 am

Baptist background here...saved indy baptist, then Conservative and Southern Baptist.
forsaken
Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:13 am

I'm in the "other" category.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Shineqi » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:16 pm

I describe myself as a "tolerant, respectful atheist." I respect honestly held beliefs, particularly those that enrich a person and motivate him/her to serve his society. I frequently attend an inclusive and diverse Christian (Metropolitan Community) church with my wife, who is a member.
Shineqi
New Comer

Postby Petros » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:29 am

Oy - hard hard,

Baptized Lutheran, raised Episcopalian, many years like Shineqi tolerant respectful atheist, then non-denominational with ties on the one hand to mildly charismatic curches and on the other to traditional liturgy. I have described myself as a Catholic Orthodox Christian and as a Universal Heretic.

Best answer, like in the old days - Christianus sum.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby KalosSoma » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:02 am

Petros wrote:I have described myself as a Catholic Orthodox Christian and as a Universal Heretic.

Love it - I think Jesus himself would have identified with the "universal heretic" label. :) (Sadly - speaking as a follower of Christ - I think if he were in the world today, the "Christians" are the ones who would drive him up into the hills to pray...)
KalosSoma
Native Resident

Postby jdb » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:00 am

Accepted Christ as my savior at age of 8. Where are my sins? "there underneath the blood of the cross of Calvary as far removed as darkness is from dawn. In the sea of God's forgetfulness that's good enough for me. Praise God my sins are gone."

I'm a saved Baptist, traditional southern Baptist type. I'm confused about what title I should carry, but I'm still saved, unless your one of those nothing else but a particular brand will do folks, legalistic I've heard.

Bro in Christ
jdb
jdb
Resident

Location: Natalia, Texas, SW of San Antonio on the way to Laredo

Postby Ramblinman » Sun May 13, 2012 1:16 am

natman wrote: and added a place for Methodists.

Thank you! I don't claim all of them, some are still a work in progress and some are thrashing around in self-induced darkness, but I stand in awe of some of my older brothers in the faith who happen to be called Methodist.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Sun May 13, 2012 9:50 am

Ramblinman wrote:...some are still a work in progress and some are thrashing around in self-induced darkness...

Isn't that true for every group of believers?

Actually, as someone who is following Jesus, one of the things we often over look is that we never "arrive" in this lifetime, at least until Jesus returns.

Our walk with Jesus is a journey, not a nursing home (that is true even if we are in one). We see that in the New Testament with Jesus being on the road for so many years, instead of hanging out in the Temple for 3 years. N.T. Wright used this illustration with regards to Israel but I'll recast it to better apply to my life.

It's like the Holy Spirit is a GPS. He tells me to "go over there". I head that direction, then take an unexpected left turn. Then he says "no, take a right here", which I ignore. Then another "take a right here". Which I finally follow, getting back on the path.

The question, as always, is am I listening to the GPS of the Holy Spirit?
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. (Rom 8:1 NLT)

If I speak with the tongues of men and angels but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. (1 Cor 13:1)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Please Introduce Yourself