Who We Are - Religious Background

New members are invited to introduce themselves here. It doesn't have to be long, and you don't have to reveal any personal information you're not comfortable with sharing. We don't allow any web links or email addresses here. Please reserve your naturist comments for Are You a Naturist? You must post here before gaining access to the Full Member category. All New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

What is your religious background?

Roman Catholic/Orthodox Catholic
7%
Methodist
8%
Lutheran
4%
Presbyterian
4%
Episcopal/Church of England
3%
Baptist
27%
Pentecostal
9%
Non-denominational Christian/Other
35%
Latter Day Saints
1%
Non-Christian
3%

Total votes : 112

Re: Who We Are - Religious Background

Postby Jim » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:44 am

Let's see.... I was baptized as an infant with the Lutherans. About kindergarten age my folks changed to Methodist, which changed to United Methodist. In grad school I was a member of a Church of Christ/Christian Church congregation and received believers' baptism. About 17 years ago I joined a church that associates with Mennonite Church, USA. I've also had significant times where I worshiped regularly with the Assembly of God and with Catholic Charismatics. I chose "other".
Jim
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:10 pm

DaveT wrote:I was raised to think independently, don't just believe something because someone tells me, ask why, and search it out to find out exactly why I believe what I do. And don't stop there but look at it from all possible angles. The whole needs to be taken into account. Not isolating one or a few passages and building a doctrine on them, ignoring the rest. And the truth has never been popular, never will be. The devil will make sure of that.

That sounds a lot like me, and like a lot us Villagers. I think one has to be an independent thinker to come to the conclusion that Christianity and naturism are compatible. Wait... what might that say about Christians who say they aren't compatible? :lol:

Amen to the point about truth not being popular. We see that in politics and religion all the time. :shock:
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Englishman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Something of a roundabout route for me... As a child I was sent to the local Church of England church; I didn't really get much out of it but, to placate my mother I agreed to be Confirmed. At that time I heard there was a Tent Mission on our local playing field. As I was vehemently anti God at the time I refused to go until I was told about the free hot dogs; so I went. I got saved, converted one night &, as a result, joined the local Open Brethern church founded after the mission.

That worked fine until I got baptised in the Holy Spirit at 17; I jumped before being pushed. There followed a few years in what would now be described as an informal youth church. After that I joined a town centre United Reformed Church whose minister had also been baptised in the Holy Spirit. Those were interesting years as liberal & conservative theologies gently rubbed against each other.

I then migrated back to the Church of England, much to the amusement of my mother, & spent some good years in three different congregations. That was followed, you can probably guess there is a lot to these stories I'm not telling, by a stint in an New Frontiers International congregation. They are overtly charasmatic, evangelical, a lot of fun & encourage one to grow furiously in Christ. It was roundabout now my wife went into clinical depression, which was not well handled by the 'Jesus makes you happy, so there' end of the church. At the same time God seemed to withdraw from me; I knew He was there & I had lost none of my faith, it just seemed a lot harder. For the next 7 years I didn't go to church at all but kept chasing God.

I went back to the NFI church & they were the ones who kept me sane, & praying, when my wife decided to end the marriage. I stayed on for a few more years, relying wholly on God's grace to get me through until I had the chance to help plant a branch of the congregation in a nearby town. Off I went & enjoyed another batch of good years. The plant took, & having, much to my surprise & right out of my expectations, remarried, my wife & I after the odd modest ruction chose to worship in the church she had come from; another NFI congregation. From there, we came here to Lanzarote for a spell, which we are still enjoying, before we head off on the next stage of our adventure in God!

I suppose that puts me somewhere between Pentecostal & Other, which is OK. :D
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm glad this strip has been revived 'cause I missed the boat, I mean vote, the first time around.

Baptist, on the side on conservatism, inerrancy, and above all, the Lordship of Jesus in my life.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Became a Christian while at university in the 1970s and am currently worshipping at a Church of England.

But I would class myself as Charismatic, Evangelical and Anglican with leanings towards Catholic spirituality, how's that for mixed up?
Fearfully and wonderfully mad
Love the dinner, hate the din.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:44 am

Weel, now - actually it is very close to where I sit. I have a feeling for the liturgy, I can appreciate the energetic simplicity of some protestant worship. My beliefs, conclusions, include components that make me not quite fit in to any one.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:19 am

Many congregations in this area accommodate the differing tastes within their congregation by offering a contemporary service followed by a more liturgical service, yet keeping doctrine a constant.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:32 pm

That is what also happens here East of the Atlantic, we have the liturgical service first, accompanied by organ, and the worship band led service follows. The preacher gets to preach the same sermon twice.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:28 pm

How I would - as preacher - hate doing that! I don't know that I could.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:25 am

Petros wrote:How I would - as preacher - hate doing that! I don't know that I could.
You would only have to prep the sermon once.

As a church musician, I often attend the traditional service so that I can concentrate on worship before playing in the later service, so I hear the same sermon twice. Often the earlier service has a shorter service has a shorter sermon, as this service has a fixed finishing time. The second one can go into more depth.

The shorter one seems the better one to me as it is more focussed on the important points. Note to preachers there.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:55 am

Of course there is the sleep learning factor.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:35 pm

balaam wrote:That is what also happens here East of the Atlantic, we have the liturgical service first, accompanied by organ, and the worship band led service follows. The preacher gets to preach the same sermon twice.

It happens West of the Atlantic as well (at least in my church, and others I'm familiar with). Here we typically dub them "contemporary" and "traditional" services. My church does the contemporary service first, then the traditional. I'm having a hard time figuring out which I prefer. The traditional one was great with our former music pastor, who was jubilant and led spirited hymns. Now, the stand-in stands and waves his hand to conduct, and I guess I'm hearing something like the "boring-ness" of a traditional service that my peers do.

Our contemporary service can borderline a rock concert but it doesn't even do that very well.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby balaam » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:37 am

If it is borderline rock concert it's too loud. The musicians should not be performing but leading, it is the worship of the congregation that counts.

Contemporary or traditional the rule on volume level is the same. The congregation must be able to hear themselves. If they can't hear the instruments the music needs to be louder. If the music is so loud that they can't hear themselves sing, a problem which is just as true for organists who play with all the stops out as it is for worship bands, then it needs to be turned down.
balaam
Native Resident

Postby jay_p » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:32 pm

I selected Baptist... But there are probably more ... branches of baptist as all the others in the poll... Even in Southern Baptist there is a lot of Variation.
jay_p
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 pm

balaam wrote:If it is borderline rock concert it's too loud. The musicians should not be performing but leading, it is the worship of the congregation that counts.

Contemporary or traditional the rule on volume level is the same. The congregation must be able to hear themselves. If they can't hear the instruments the music needs to be louder. If the music is so loud that they can't hear themselves sing, a problem which is just as true for organists who play with all the stops out as it is for worship bands, then it needs to be turned down.

Most of the time it is not too loud, but too showy--lights, smoke on occasion (seriously?), and the "ethereal" experience with sustained synthesizer chords. Even after a sanctuary renovation, the audio EQing is not that great. Bass guitar is a vague audible rumble at best, guitar tends to get lost in the mix, vocals need to be turned down, etc. I mean, the overall sound could be better and improve the "worship experience" (whatever that is) that the leaders try to provide. They could honestly make the sound more rock concert-ish and it would be an improvement.

jay_p wrote:I selected Baptist... But there are probably more ... branches of baptist as all the others in the poll... Even in Southern Baptist there is a lot of Variation.

Ain't that the truth...
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Please Introduce Yourself