Our Pastors, Lay Leaders, Couples, Teens, and more

New members are invited to introduce themselves here. It doesn't have to be long, and you don't have to reveal any personal information you're not comfortable with sharing. We don't allow any web links or email addresses here. Please reserve your naturist comments for Are You a Naturist? You must post here before gaining access to the Full Member category. All New Comers please post here.

NO NUDIST COMMENTS PLEASE!

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Our Pastors, Lay Leaders, Couples, Teens, and more

Postby heyitschris » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:42 pm

glad to know im not the only teenager here!
heyitschris
Resident

Postby naturaldon » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Add associate pastor (lay pastor for C.E., men's ministry, and evangelism), outdoorsman, and motorcycle-rider. God bless
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby natman » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:29 pm

naturaldon wrote:Add associate pastor (lay pastor for C.E., men's ministry, and evangelism), outdoorsman, and motorcycle-rider. God bless

It is always great to add another Christian leader here.

What does "C.E." stand for?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby naturaldon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:07 pm

C.E. = Christian education. Used to be called religious education. I, for one, like teaching about Christ, with religion a far second (and a personal preference anyway). So I'm glad Christian schools and Bible colleges now call it CE. Well, at least most of them do. Glad to be here with other brothers and sisters in Christ, of all religions who worship in the Spirit the one and only Heavenly Father and His only begotten Son.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby RMOlson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 am

These are very interesting stats. How have they changed since 2006?
RMOlson
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:16 am

RMOlson wrote:These are very interesting stats. How have they changed since 2006?

Ok, since you asked, about more recent situations:

In the local congregation which I attend, things have changed/expanded for my role recently. To explain that, I need to "set the stage" so to speak, so that knowing the context that this might better fit into the discussion here.

The structure of the church is that there are many who serve as pastors, especially in smaller congregations, who are not in that role in an employed/paid sense but rather simply doing the job in much the same mode as Paul did while he supported himself as a tentmaker along with Priscilla and Aquilla, (Acts 18). Things have gotten even easier for the local pastor as he has taken early retirement. And some of this will make more sense if I describe his "style".

Church services do not follow a fixed rigid liturgy, so the pastor can do a good bit of reconfiguration/innovation to suit the situation. The Local Pastor we have (I believe his "designation" is "Ordained Local Elder") maintains the commonly used order of things with respect to the Opening, closing, "song service", opening and closing prayers etc. but has innovated quite a bit with respect to the "customary sermon" in the scheme of things. The sermons are somewhat more like "Bible Studies" and are "interactive".

The sermon part of "services" functions much more like a classroom setting. Indeed the room is set up in what in the hospitality profession would be described as "classroom configuration" with tables and chairs but set up in more of a circular or box configuration so that everyone is in a sense facing everyone else. There is plenty of table space for one's bible, a note pad, or in the case of those of my ilk, a computer and mouse pad, and electrical power is supplied in case someone's laptop has a short battery life. (It is great to have several translations and a slew of commentaries and lexicons at one's fingertips.)

Some of his fellow pastors are surprised that this even works, but with even minor modifications I have seen him successfully pull this scheme off when there are maybe 70 to 150 in attendance at regional events. Questions and comments from any in attendance, be they 13, 30. or 80 are encouraged. Frankly, this format really scares some of his fellow pastors as they are unsure as to how to successfully pull off such a "church service". But he does it, and it works! And no, it does not get out of control ! Oh, and that 13 year old? Talk about questions and comments "out of the Mouth of Babes" that both challenge or amaze!

OK, that was all prologue for what I was wanting to get at about my situation. Beyond being called upon for open and closing prayers, etc. I am asked to do some "lay preaching" which may be something such as a limited topic "Sermonette" or Sermon and even occasionally a full sermon at at regional multi-day meeting. I am however not "formally ordained". But recently the pastor has called upon me to participate when someone has asked for anointing for health or other personal problems. At the age of 73, I am elder, in the sense of years but I am not "an ordained elder" as such, but as he put it to me, maturity and praying in faith were sufficient to the task. So being 73 years on the planet and 44 years since baptism and laying on of hands to receive the holy spirit he figured it was time to increase my involvement another notch or two. So if I draw on the "Lay Leaders" term from this strip's title, I guess I now have to admit that it seems that shoe seems to fit. I find it a little scary, (Luke 12:48 "....For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.") But continuing the shoe analogy, Maybe it fits, but it is only on the bottom rung!
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby RMOlson » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:58 pm

That is fantastic BareTruth! The journey the Father brings us on is always a wonder!
RMOlson
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:17 pm

The bottom rung is just the starting point and it sounds like you are quite a number of steps above that. When I hear stories about climbing the ladder of success it reminds me of the comment, "the only problem is getting through that crowd milling around at the bottom." Obviously your pastor sees more in you than you do. Embrace the vote of confidence and climb some more.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Please Introduce Yourself