Swimsuits...

Are you new to this way of life? Does terminology confuse you? Have you heard lots of horror stories that frighten you? This is the place to ask questions about terminology, meanings of words, and more.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Swimsuits...

Postby nuudman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:41 am

Been reading about swimsuits.
Seems that swimsuits:

1) were introduced in the mid 1700s exclusively for wealthy women.
2) were only codified for men and women at wealthy european resorts in the 1850-60s.

3) were only introduced in America in the 1880-90s, again to wealthy women on the seashores and resorts.

4) after train travel became far more popular/middle class suits became more popular for everyone. People could travel to the beach more often. Swimming at the ole swimming hole was still pretty much a skinnydip affair i bet.

5) as soon as suits were introduced into America, we began to shrink and uncover them.

6) in 100 years we were actively moving into a new era of aceptable nakedness.

7) being naked is getting more and more popular as time moves on.

So, after only 7K or so of human recorded history, we have about 6700 years of nude public bathing. We are moving back toward nude bathing again. We have been subjected to all sorts of class and marketing brain damage due to swimsuits. Other than in the highly female repressive muslim world, swimsuits only appear in westernized countries. Swimsuits may be defined as a product of class warfare and savvy marketing as well.
Discuss?

NEW!!!

OUR GOD IS GREATER-Chris Tomlin

GOD OF THIS CITY-Chris Tomlin

These two songs are very indicative of the church i serve at. "GOD OF THIS CITY" is almost like our informal anthem.

nuudman
Native Resident

Re: Swimsuits...

Postby JimShedd112 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Hopefully we'll eventually see swimsuits go the way of the dinosaurs (extinction would be perfectly acceptable, I believe).

My wife and I went out of town with friends, for the second time in a month. Unfortunately we did NOT visit a nudist resort (I'm the only nudist in the group) and so swimsuits were require in and around the pool. Of course, I was nude every possible second in the room with my wife, who remained clothed as always, except, of course, to bathe or change clothing.

Jim
Livin' naked and free
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:41 pm

Up until the Indstrial Revolution (1790s - 1830s) a lot of people worked or swam in the nude, not because they preferred it, but because clothing was expensive and most people only could afford one or two sets.

After almost two centuries of body repression, now many people are returning to their roots by invovlment in nude, topless or clothing-optional beaches, swimming and resorts. So NOW, people are getting nude, not because they MUST, but because they ENJOY it.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby KalosSoma » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:52 am

The economic/class aspect is really interesting. Seems that one of the first ways that the wealthy or higher-caste people have always tried to distinguish themselves is by clothing or other adornment, even in non-Western and "primitive" cultures, regardless of practicality or comfort.

The "shrinkage" phenomenon appears to be more of a cyclical style thing, though, than a progression toward eventually eliminating swimwear altogether (again). In fact, the predominant style for males in recent years seems to have been knee-length or longer trunks, which I find very uncomfortable. For women, unfortunately, the driving force of swimwear style seems to be to "minimize" and "maximize," to trick the eye, to hide the body's natural size and shape and force it into the cultural "ideal."

I certainly hope and pray that we are moving into "a new era of acceptable nakedness," but I don't see much evidence of it spreading into the cultural mainstream, yet.
KalosSoma
Native Resident

Postby nuudman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:00 am

Good point on the male swimwear. i got to focusing on the female swimwear i guess. i cannot understand for the life of me why mens swimwear is so long and baggy. NOT A CLUE! TRULY UNCOMFORTABLE!

Maybe with more public acceptance of male frontal nudity in movies and some non-aroused nudity on tv we could get there.

NEW!!!

These two songs are very indicative of the church i serve at. "GOD OF THIS CITY" is almost like our informal anthem.

nuudman
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:11 am

KalosSoma wrote:In fact, the predominant style for males in recent years seems to have been knee-length or longer trunks, which I find very uncomfortable.

The longer trunks style come out of the "surfer" culture. Having been a surfer, there is SOME practicality in the longer trunks. Surfers cover the tops of their boards with a thick wax and then sand to prevent water from accumulating on the board and to increase the traction so that they do not slip off. Since most of the pressure of getting up on a board is on the hips and upper thighs, there is quite a bit of abrasion that can occur in those areas.

However, if one is not board surfing, the longer trunks are not only uncomfortable, they tend to trap sand and sea lice, presenting a greater health risk.

Unfortunately, fashion sense is not usually about practicality or health.

KalosSoma wrote:For women, unfortunately, the driving force of swimwear style seems to be to "minimize" and "maximize," to trick the eye, to hide the body's natural size and shape and force it into the cultural "ideal."

IMHO, it is not only to trick the eye, but to attract the eye to the "sexual" areas of the body, yelling "LOOK HERE!!!" while at the same time saying, "Ah ah aahhh!!! You can't see what is under this, even though you probably already know! So GUESS!!!!".
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby nuudman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:11 am

Why or how did the surfer trunks get AND STAY in "style" then? i have zero clue on this because as i have said, they are uncomfortable, especially when wet. i just do not get it.

NEW!!!

nuudman
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:54 am

nuudman wrote:Why or how did the surfer trunks get AND STAY in "style" then?

My guess is that many guys want to be associated with the "coolness" and layed back attitudes of surfers, and so will forgo comfort in order to attain that image. :(

Fortunately, they will eventually grow out of it.

I wore cut off jeans most of the time, not becase they were in fashion, but because I couldn't afford a wet suit or even a half wet suit that some of my friends wore. However, whenever the opportunity arose, off came the shorts.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby KalosSoma » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:54 am

natman wrote:IMHO, it is not only to trick the eye, but to attract the eye to the "sexual" areas of the body, yelling "LOOK HERE!!!" while at the same time saying, "Ah ah aahhh!!! You can't see what is under this, even though you probably already know! So GUESS!!!!".

And the swimwear usually fails miserably, on all counts -- minimizing, maximizing, trickery and titillation. Often I see a woman's body squeezed and stretched and rearranged into a swimsuit and think, "You would feel and look so much better without that stupid thing." In fact, I think feeling better goes a long way toward looking better, if looking better is a goal for you.
KalosSoma
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:32 pm

KalosSoma wrote:...Often I see a woman's body squeezed and stretched and rearranged into a swimsuit and think, "You would feel and look so much better without that stupid thing." In fact, I think feeling better goes a long way toward looking better, if looking better is a goal for you.
You think that; I think that; our naturist sisters certainly think that! :D But sadly, most of the world has not caught up with us. :cry:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby trumpetbuff » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:08 pm

Speaking of swimsuits, my mom's favorite line was "I would have brought my swimsuit, but it has a hole in the knee."

Steve

Praise Him with trumpet sound...Psalm 150:3
trumpetbuff
Native Resident

Postby natman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:02 am

trumpetbuff wrote:Speaking of swimsuits, my mom's favorite line was "I would have brought my swimsuit, but it has a hole in the knee."

Ooooo!!!! I am cringing at that thought! :roll:

Unless, this is the extent of her bathing suit...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Ramblinman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:04 pm

A friend of mine told me that her son was on a swim team, but she said that they always seemed to lose the competitions.
I asked her why.

She said that they were too embarrassed to wear competition trunks because they were so brief and form-fitting
and the heavy board shorts they wore at swim meets slowed them down in the water.

Have we raised a generation of bashful blushing sissy boys?
Maybe the coaches of a generation ago who imposed mandatory nudity for swim classes had more wisdom than most folks give them credit!
If you start early enough and often enough with nudity, they wouldn't learn such shame (and maybe win more swim meets). :lol:
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby natman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Ramblinman wrote:A friend of mine told me that her son was on a swim team, but she said that they always seemed to lose the competitions.
I asked her why.

She said that they were too embarrassed to wear competition trunks because they were so brief and form-fitting
and the heavy board shorts they wore at swim meets slowed them down in the water.

I guess it would be okay if ALL the teams in the competition had to wear the same types of suits. However, if it is just their team that are being held back because of their own prudish standards, then it is up to them to change it.

Ramblinman wrote:Have we raised a generation of bashful blushing sissy boys?

Yes we have. From the time that we no longer enforced showing after PE. Now our boys are so afraid to appear nude in the shower out of fear that some other boy will wolf-whistle at them.

Ramblinman wrote:If you start early enough and often enough with nudity, they wouldn't learn such shame (and maybe win more swim meets). :lol:

AMEN!!!
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby trumpetbuff » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 pm

natman wrote:
trumpetbuff wrote:Speaking of swimsuits, my mom's favorite line was "I would have brought my swimsuit, but it has a hole in the knee."

Ooooo!!!! I am cringing at that thought! :roll:

Unless, this is the extent of her bathing suit...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It was probably more like this:

Steve

Praise Him with trumpet sound...Psalm 150:3
trumpetbuff
Native Resident

Next

Return to What is nudism / naturism?