An unsuitable subject?

Did you ever wonder what would motivate a person to be nude, around the house, or on a beach, or anywhere else? Here you can ask all your questions, and people can testify to their own reasons for wanting to live life naturally.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

An unsuitable subject?

Postby Colin23 » Thu May 21, 2020 5:54 am

I thought other members might be interested in a personal experience. I used to be Principal Examiner for a UK A level exam in Ethical Reasoning and Decision-Making (I am still PE for an international A level, but this anecdote refers to the UK exam, which no longer exists.) One year, I produced a draft exam on the issue of naturist beaches. I provided some genuine documents (mostly news reports) and asked the question, should local councils in seaside areas set aside a beach for nude swimming and sun-bathing. The topic was rejected, on the grounds that male candidates would not take the topic seriously and would thereby be disadvantaged.
Colin23
New Comer

Re: An unsuitable subject?

Postby RMOlson » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:14 am

That’s unfortunate!

By the way, welcome to the village! My name is Randy, I live in NW GA, USA, with my non-Naturist wife and youngest daughter. They put up with my nude proclivity.
RMOlson
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:57 pm

Colin, I'm sorry for the late reply since I just returned here today after a long absence since about mid-March. It revolved, somewhat, around the Covid-19 shutdown. I hadn't spent a great deal of time on my desktop. My granddaughter dominated my cellphone and when I got it back couldn't successfully log in here. Anyway, welcome to CNV from Las Vegas, Nevada.

Reference your question, I'm not sure I have a clear answer but do think the rejection of your question regarding setting aside beaches for nude swimming and nude sunbathing was rejected on very flimsy grounds.

I'm sorry you've had almost no response to your question and hope you'll not allow it to discourage you from participating here on the site.
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:40 pm

Howdy Colin and welcome from North Texas!

It seems unwise to me that someone in academia would "assume" that male candidates would not take the topic of nude beaches seriously. Isn't the whole point of academia to search for truth? Maybe if the students couldn't take the topic seriously, they should not be studying Ethical Reasoning and Decision Making... :lol:
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:08 am

Isn't the whole point of academia to search for truth?

I guess you have not held your post as Associate Professor of Microbics that long!

For a few who have not been outed and eliminated, yes, that is an important value; but .....

To me it is interesting that it was rejected on those grounds. Where I have woked, the rejection would be explained in terms of the topic being offensive to XYZ.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jjsledge » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:09 am

It seem that truth is irrelevant to politicians, administrators,et.al. Agenda is most important as long as it makes 'me' look good. It must keep me in office, secure my tenure, etc.

Petros, your signature line seems only to apply in a better world.

Jerry
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby webmeister » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:54 pm

Colin23 wrote:The topic was rejected, on the grounds that male candidates would not take the topic seriously and would thereby be disadvantaged.

So strange for that academia session.
Live - Love - Laugh
Have Fun!
webmeister
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:48 pm

Petros wrote:
Isn't the whole point of academia to search for truth?

I guess you have not held your post as Associate Professor of Microbics that long!

Haha! Touché.

jjsledge wrote:It seem that truth is irrelevant to politicians, administrators,et.al. Agenda is most important as long as it makes 'me' look good. It must keep me in office, secure my tenure, etc.

Jerry

Amen to that, my friend.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:53 am

Right about that, amigo!
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Englishman » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:31 am

Sadly it comes as no surprise to me that naturism is considered an 'iffy' subject. I suspect a similar result, but for different reasons, would have occured if faith in Christ had been the object of the exercise.

Naturism & faith, by faith I mean a living, breathing & an abiding commitment to Christ & a willingness to live each moment in & through that faith rather than just going to church, share a perception in the general populace that indulgents in either, or both in our case(s), are considered a bit beyond the pale; people of whom one should be wary. In terms of faith, I think that's something we should almost aim at. If my faith does not shift me outside commonly accepted norms, why am I bothering? One of the great attractions of Christianity for me is that sense of not fitting in. Why? Because that's what I see in the Bible & in the lifestories of Christians through the ages who decided to go for it. Christ broke the rules, Paul broke the rules; not so much the written stuff but the unwritten, & almost universaly accepted without questioning, 'canteen culture'.

As a naturist, I am deemed, by the church, to be putting myself in danger of falling victim to lust everytime I visit a naturist beach. Really? I know we accept, without shaming all body types, but I have seen sights on naturist beaches that put me right off my lunch! Lust? I think not. The whole thing is caught up in a cycle of 'You may well be fine in such a place but how do you know? Surely it's better not to go then you won't fall or fail'. I do wonder if that type of thinking is heading toward us creating a code of behaviour along the same lines as the pharisees of Christ's time? It also crosses my mind to ask, "If Christians do not meet non-Christian naturists on their home ground, how will we be able to share the Gospel & our experience of God with them?" Are we simply expecting them to come to us without any effort or sacrifice on our part?

Hmmm... I appear to have come a long way from exam questions. Still, I'd be interested to see any reactions. Many blessings to you all! :D
Graham
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:34 am

In my last university, located near a once busy but now defunct sight for folk nudity, and home to astudent / faculty naturists orghanization, it would have been nowhere near so bad, though it might draw protests.

But when I mentioned - not very loudly - my faith in Christ I sealed the fate of my academic career - not that I cared, I had though of getting out of the uncomfoertable environment for years.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:52 am

The topic was rejected, on the grounds that male candidates would not take the topic seriously and would thereby be disadvantaged.

Oh my God!!! Someone may be disadvantaged, someone may not take it seriously. So what. Life is not fair, everyone has a disadvantage in some respect, lots of people do not take anything seriously. That reasoning applied to academia is a pretty bad excuse. It would not cut it in engineering.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:33 am

Even today?
Petros
Native Resident

Return to Why would anyone want to be nude, anyway?