National Geographic Presentation - "Taboo - Nudity"

Did you ever wonder what would motivate a person to be nude, around the house, or on a beach, or anywhere else? Here you can ask all your questions, and people can testify to their own reasons for wanting to live life naturally.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

National Geographic Presentation - "Taboo - Nudity"

Postby natman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:09 am

For those that have access to cable or satelite television, National Geopgraphic is presenting "Taboo - Nudity", on September 5th, 10PM & 1AM ET, 7PM & 10 PM PT. (Check local listings for correct time)

[LINK TO NGC-TABOO]
[LINK TO "NUDITY" VIDEO EXCERPT]

From their site:
It's possibly the most natural thing in the world, but for many the naked human body remains a taboo. In Sydney, Australia, a coven of Wiccan witches perform rituals in the nude to express their truest form and bring themselves closer to the natural world. In America, some devout Christians worship together naked, believing that is the way God intended them to. And in central Japan, watch a centuries-old chaotic event called the Hadaka Matsuri: "The Festival of the Naked Man."
Last edited by natman on Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Jon-Marc » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:17 pm

What channel is that? I don't see a National Geographic channel in my TV Times that I get from the Sunday paper.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:34 pm

Discovery Channel?
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:47 pm

I added a couple of links to my opening post.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:37 pm

jochanaan wrote:Discovery Channel?

Actually a competitor (different network I believe). On the DirecTV system, it is channel 276.
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:30 pm

It's not on the Discovery channel, and I have cable--not DirecTV.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby minister72 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:37 pm

I have tried the links several times throughout the day and the video doesn't play - says not available and to check back later, but still no go after several hours.
minister72
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:37 am

Jon-Marc wrote:It's not on the Discovery channel, and I have cable--not DirecTV.

I figured I could only help a few of the people here. There is no standard channel lineup for cable so I hope you found you have it...
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:54 am

Well...

I watched it last night and, except for the Jim Cunningham and Allan Parker pieces, was not impressed.

As the name implied, the producers and writers were more interested in "taboo" rather than nudity so they looked for situations where taboo things happened where people just "happened" to be naked. This included the segment on Christianity. I also found it to be racist (more on that later) but what do you expet from National Geographic.

The first segment talked about being sky-clad while performing wiccan and pagan rituals in Austrailia. The third segment was on a shinto rite where a "man-god" is sent out naked into a mob and tries to clense the town of bad luck.

The part about Christian nudists featured Jim Cunningham and Allan Parker. Jim runs a Bible Study out of his house in Vermont. He is an outspoken Christian nudist and author. Allan preaches at a weekly chapel service at Whte Tail resort in Virgina. The taboo part was mixing nudity and religion. On the whole, I felt well represented by both these men.

Why did I think it was racist? Throughout the show, genitals were blurred out as were womens breasts until the closing shot where they talk about nudity within cultures and show a native African tribe without any blurring. Why is that racist? I don't understand why an anglo womans breast is bad to see while an native African womans breast is not. In both cases, they are barred willingly. It is a cable show so FCC rules don't apply. The only answer I can figure out is racism.

If you could edit out the Christianity part, I'd watch that again... The rest, I would not bother (I was bothered actually)
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:22 am

I was watching the Republican debate and so missed the portion on Wicca, coming in during the part on Christians, although I had seen much of the Wiccan scenes in the clip linked above.

I came away with the same question as to why they blur out the breasts and genitals of caucasian women, but not African women. Other than skin color, I see no difference. I even wondered why they bothered bluring women's nipples (leaving the rest of the breasts exposed) when there were men's nipples clearly seen in the same shot. Are they so different?

I did appreciate the parts with Boyd Allen and Jim Cunningham. But one of the things that struck me was that most of the "Christian" naturists appeared to be rather overweight (must be Baptists... :D ). My wife even commented on it. All kidding aside, it seemed that they did not take very good care of their bodies, which Christians acknowledge as the "Temple of the Holy Spirit". Unfortunately, the Wiccans and the Japanese all looked to be in better physical shape.

From a Christian perspective, it is very easy to be critical of (other) religions and superstitions. I was amazed at the lengths that people would go just to gain a litte "good luck". One man has been subjecting himself to the dangers of mob mentality for 43 years just to touch the body of a nude man making his way through a crowd to a temple, almost getting killed in the process. The commentator compared the "man-god"'s plite, one man's struggle for the benefit of others, to Christ's death on the cross for the benefit of all mankind. :?

I WAS impressed with the commentators closing comments about the dichotomy that exists within the religious communities in terms of dealing with nudity.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Jon-Marc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:40 am

From bn2bnude's description I would say I probably didn't miss anything.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Desert Hiker » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:16 am

We who were unable to view it, thank you both very much for the most informative reviews you submitted.

BTW; this is not the first time NGC has done a segment on nudism. And I agree with both of you on your assessment on the apparently racist use of the pixelator--my word for it. Yes they do this consistently anytime they have a scene where the subjects are nude.
Peace In Christ, Sam

Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart...--Job
Desert Hiker
Councillor

Postby natman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:52 am

Desert Hiker wrote:Yes they do this consistently anytime they have a scene where the subjects are nude.

... an white. :?:
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby minister72 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:45 am

Yes, thank you for the reviews. I don't have the NGC, or any real cable channels for that matter. I am really suprised by the racism they practice in the editing. I wonder if anyone has ever challenged them on this issue. But of course, their response would be to censor both rather than to include both as white nudity could not be innocent (sarcasm present).

minister72
minister72
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:42 am

Any primitive Caucasian tribes out there? :lol:
jochanaan
Councillor

Next

Return to Why would anyone want to be nude, anyway?