National Geographic Presentation - "Taboo - Nudity"

Did you ever wonder what would motivate a person to be nude, around the house, or on a beach, or anywhere else? Here you can ask all your questions, and people can testify to their own reasons for wanting to live life naturally.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Postby natman » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:12 am

jochanaan wrote:Any primitive Caucasian tribes out there? :lol:



No???? Then maybe we should start one.

The Caucanudarus Tribe of Southeast Texas, indiginous to the northern-most region of South Padre Island, known for their deeply tanned skin and total lack of tan lines. They are also know for chanting some language that appears to be extremely foriegn to most of the North American continent... "Praise the Lord!!!" and "Thank you Jesus!!!", and for drawing this mysterious symbol in the sand wherever they go...
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7257
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Postby jochanaan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:13 pm

natman wrote:
jochanaan wrote:Any primitive Caucasian tribes out there? :lol:



No???? Then maybe we should start one.

The Caucanudarus Tribe of Southeast Texas, indiginous to the northern-most region of South Padre Island, known for their deeply tanned skin and total lack of tan lines. They are also know for chanting some language that appears to be extremely foriegn to most of the North American continent... "Praise the Lord!!!" and "Thank you Jesus!!!", and for drawing this mysterious symbol in the sand wherever they go...

It is said that this tribe originated in Germany in the early 1900s, but due to increasing persecution by Chancellor Hitler's infamous "Third Reich," was scattered throughout the United States and many other countries, living by stealth among unsuspecting civilized peoples. :mrgreen:
User avatar
jochanaan
Councillor
 
Posts: 6342
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:58 pm
Location: Denver

Postby nudjohn » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:31 pm

One rumor states they may have even been some how related to a mad man who walked about in a desert wearing camel hair and eating rare vegitation. He would dip people in muddy rivers and declare another maniac to be "the Lamb of God." :shock:
nudjohn
Native Resident
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Louisiana/Mississippi

Postby Jim1000 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:21 am

No cable at my house either, but you guys are absolutely right. The discriminate blurring was thoroughly racist.

Interesting that you noticed Christian naturists being out of shape as compared to others. I think this partly may be because the Christians featured are genuinely nudist, not doing something naughty or daring like perhaps some in the other groups examined. Such genuine nudists, I believe, have so much body acceptance that they often neglect to take care of themselves as they should. In other words, there is such a high level of comfort with the folds and flab that diet and exercise may often be considered an unnecessary bother or even an affront to total body acceptance. This is something I've been thinking on for a while.
Jim
User avatar
Jim1000
Native Resident
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:50 pm
Location: Southern USA, y'all

Postby natman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:48 pm

Jim,

You may very well be right on the money there. At the same time, I think it is a shame that they are not taking better care of their bodies... and I count myself in with them. I could definitely afford to loose about 15 to 20 pounds and to strengthen my muscles. So, part of the criticism is of myself. I am comfortable with my skin. However, I wish I had jsut a little less of it, or a little less stuffing to be more precise. :D

Our bodies, like all the rest of the many blessings that we have been granted, are gifts from God; resources that we are to steward for His glory. It is difficult to witness to someone if we allow ourselves to become out of shape.

As a guy, I counted myself truley blessed when I was part of a men's ministry that went out every weekend to do work for our church's elderly, ill and widowed. It meant that at least once a week I was able to use my muscles for the glory of our Lord, and build strength and keep fit doing it. Unfortunately, the last two churches I have been at have not had such ministries, but I am hoping to get involved in one at our new church, and if none exists, start one.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7257
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Postby nudjohn » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:27 pm

It is sadning that you have had to change churches.... but hopefully, as you stated, you can begin a ministry of such. Pure Religion undefiled before God is to help the Widowed and the Fatherless. :o :D
nudjohn
Native Resident
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:00 pm
Location: Louisiana/Mississippi

Postby natman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:56 am

nudjohn wrote:It is sadning that you have had to change churches.... but hopefully, as you stated, you can begin a ministry of such. Pure Religion undefiled before God is to help the Widowed and the Fatherless. :o :D


Thanks. I have the tendency not to use the word "religion" when relating to Christianity. There are many, many "religions" out there, where people have a one-way communication with a distant god, but only one "Christianity", in which we do not have "religion", but close "relationship" with a loving, caring and knowable "Father".
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7257
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Postby Jon-Marc » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:44 pm

natman wrote:
Thanks. I have the tendency not to use the word "religion" when relating to Christianity. There are many, many "religions" out there, where people have a one-way communication with a distant god, but only one "Christianity", in which we do not have "religion", but close "relationship" with a loving, caring and knowable "Father".


There is a forum here titled Christianity and Other Religions. Personally, I would have called it Christianity and False Religions. I, too, have never liked using the word religion in reference to Christianity ever since I heard it said that religions are man-made, and Christianity is God-made. Of course, the word religion is in the KJV Bible in James 1:27.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
User avatar
Jon-Marc
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2668
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:05 pm
Location: Jacumba, CA

Postby natman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:11 pm

Jon-Marc wrote:Of course, the word religion is in the KJV Bible in James 1:27.


Yes. However, it is also used by Paul in Acts 26, Galations 1 and by James himself in the preceding verse (1:26) to denegrate simply "religious" activity, similarly to what the Jews, including Paul and James practiced prior to their relationship with Christ Jesus.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
User avatar
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)
 
Posts: 7257
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 3:48 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: National Geographic Presentation - "Taboo - Nudity"

Postby Ramblinman » Fri May 29, 2009 3:59 pm

If there are any Caucasian tribal groups, I would not necessarily consider them primitive for choosing to dispense with clothes during the warmer months!

If they chose to opt out of the high tech world for a simpler, sustainable greener way of life, that would seem more like a sign of enlightenment than backwardness.

In what many people call Lappland, a few tribes live out a nomadic life, herding reindeer across the vast tundra. They call themselves Saami and ask that others do so as well. Their culture reveres nature and I am sure that if it weren't so cold most of the year and there weren't so many mosquitoes on the tundra in summer, their love of nature would surely include enjoying it in the nude.

Are they Caucasian? Their skin is the palest of pale and many of them have blond hair and blue eyes. However, their genes and facial features suggest partial kinship with similar Asiatic tribes in Siberia, but some of them look like their Swedish and Norwegian neighbors to the south.

But would National Geographic show naked Saami in their huts? I think the Saami look so much like the prudish white American television audience that many viewers would be very uncomfortable seeing their naked "primitive" kinfolk.
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2628
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am
Location: United States

Re: National Geographic Presentation - "Taboo - Nudity"

Postby jasenj1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:07 pm

I know this thread is very old, but I just saw the show on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hytwI3XHfQ

The white women's breasts are not blurred out except at the beginning. (And the only black women's breasts that I noticed were at the very end; the women shown were NEVER in the show!)

I felt they spent a LOT of time talking about Wicca and the Shinto ritual and not much about nudity and people's attitudes toward it. The Christian segment seemed to be pretty on point that most Christians consider nudity a taboo, but naturist Christians have very particular reasons why they practice it.

They didn't talk at all about the rise of naturism/FKK in Germany and its spread, or talk to people from cultures we in the West would consider "naked" to find out their opinions on the subject. I'd have loved to seen some Amazon and/or African people interviewed and get their opinions on the subject. Or talk about Roman baths or Egypt and other historical nudity and the rise of clothing compulsion.

I give it a D+.

- Jasen.

P.S. There was a show on Discovery I think, called something like "Naked among the.." or "Living among the.." where a white guy lived amongst a "primitive" tribe for several months. He wore what they wore - almost nothing. I believe they dealt a bit with his feelings about being mostly naked and the tribes' feelings on the clothes they wore.
jasenj1
Native Resident
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: National Geographic Presentation - "Taboo - Nudity"

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:04 pm

I just ran across a documentary of an Amazonian tribe, the Zo'é.

They live their lives in total nudity, apart from some feather headwear for the women and lip plugs. The men seem to have some sort of protection for the tip of their penises, but are otherwise totally nude.

The Zo'é are not primitive either, just not city dwellers. They are remarkably knowledgeable of hunting techniques, gardening, shelter construction and of their native plants used for food and medicine.

We mostly come from European and Euro-American cultures in addition to our naturism, but if we did not need to interact so much with the textile world, we might be able to found clothing-free communities. This exists in part for retirees, but I would like to see us live and work that way.

For the Zo'é, nudity is part of their adaptation to their hot humid environment. Where I live, there are at least five months of the year in which the climate is not that different from theirs, where perpetual nudity would be the more practical adaptation to my environment, if the larger culture would let us be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SW0jzXTS6A#t=104
Ramblinman
Native Resident
 
Posts: 2628
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:22 am
Location: United States

Re: National Geographic Presentation - "Taboo - Nudity"

Postby pipermac » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Ramblinman wrote:I just ran across a documentary of an Amazonian tribe, the Zo'é.

They live their lives in total nudity, apart from some feather headwear for the women and lip plugs. The men seem to have some sort of protection for the tip of their penises, but are otherwise totally nude.

The Zo'é are not primitive either, just not city dwellers. They are remarkably knowledgeable of hunting techniques, gardening, shelter construction and of their native plants used for food and medicine.

We mostly come from European and Euro-American cultures in addition to our naturism, but if we did not need to interact so much with the textile world, we might be able to found clothing-free communities. This exists in part for retirees, but I would like to see us live and work that way.

For the Zo'é, nudity is part of their adaptation to their hot humid environment. Where I live, there are at least five months of the year in which the climate is not that different from theirs, where perpetual nudity would be the more practical adaptation to my environment, if the larger culture would let us be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SW0jzXTS6A#t=104


Thank you for sharing that documentary Brother. I do have to wonder how much footage was edited-out to make it "suitable" for airing.

I was very impressed with several things about their society. They all appeared to be fit, flexible and healthy, including into old age. They have a very strong sense of "community". Everyone participates in hunting and food-gathering, so that if one eats, they all eat. If one has shelter, they all have shelter. Family units are close, and take good care of each other. There seemed to be little in the way of "personal-property", other than for bows and arrows. All members participate in the education of the young. Come to think of it...isn't that how we all should be?

I think it would be wonderful if we had clothing-free communities, where we could live in harmony with God's creation. A lot of the "nudist resort" communities would hardly qualify as living in harmony with God's creation, because there is still a fair amount of "conspicuous consumption". I can imagine worshiping the Lord in an "open-air sanctuary", when weather permitted. What if we could take our meals as one big, happy family, enjoy the bounty God provided for us. That sounds to me like what God intended the garden of Eden to be like.

Is it even possible to create a "return to Eden" environment? Would the rest of society leave us alone so we could enjoy it, if it was possible?

I am naked and unashamed in Christ!

Steve :cross:
1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 14) And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. John 1:1, 1:14
User avatar
pipermac
Native Resident
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 pm
Location: Davenport, Florida

Re: National Geographic Presentation - "Taboo - Nudity"

Postby jasenj1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:02 am

pipermac wrote:
Ramblinman wrote:Is it even possible to create a "return to Eden" environment? Would the rest of society leave us alone so we could enjoy it, if it was possible?


See "hippie communes" in the late 60s and 70s. There's a few pockets of them still around. Check the "Rainbow Family of Living Light". I believe at their gatherings there is typically a nude camp. And I'm pretty sure there's a group of Christians who attend the Gatherings - but I don't know how much they interact with the nude camp folks. :)

- Jasen.
jasenj1
Native Resident
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:42 pm

Re: National Geographic Presentation - "Taboo - Nudity"

Postby ezduzit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:15 am

Never heard of the "Rainbow Family of Living Light" so checked it out found this one among many, some nudity but not wide spread
Ez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEXn9uxipeU
ezduzit
 

PreviousNext

Return to Why would anyone want to be nude, anyway?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests