I have a better question...

Did you ever wonder what would motivate a person to be nude, around the house, or on a beach, or anywhere else? Here you can ask all your questions, and people can testify to their own reasons for wanting to live life naturally.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Re:

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:22 am

DaveT wrote:.... I believe everyone should have some survival training, although only a few do in our time.
Like when the grocery store don't have a thing, the job shuts down, no car, what to do?
Just walk off in the woods and fields and
A-- know what to eat,
B-- how to make shelter,
C--how to make fire with a stick or 2.
(Refomatted to itemize points)

Knowledge of how to survive is a most desirable skill, however obtaining it is problematic.
A-- Knowing what to eat is a really tricky one.
-- "Book learning" especially when that is all that one has is very risky, there are all too many look alike plants that can be toxic or of little value. and some plants are edible only if one knows how to prepare them. Acorns as I understand it need to be pounded to flour and leached with water before human consumption. I have often wondered about the tubers of "chainey briar" aka "green briar" I understand that they are eaten by deer sometimes and they are easy enough to find in the warmer parts of the U.S.

B-- Making Shelter
-- I have tried making snow caves but got soaked in the process. I think I could make a shelter of pine boughs if I had a way to cut green ones, I think I might do better at making a longer term shelter but at least rudimentary tools are pretty much necessary

C-- Making Fire
-- The biggest problem I have seen is finding anything dry enough to burn at the times when a fire is critical to survival

DaveT, I get the impression that you have some interest in these topics and perhaps more than a minimum familiarity with the principals. Where/how did you acquire such.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: I have a better question...

Postby montanaman » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:46 am

Bare Truth,

I've been studying and practicing survival skills since I was a teenager (over 40 years).
I started camping in the Rocky Mountain forests with a friend when we were 14 (without adult supervision). We often spent a great deal of the time naked. So, if I were stranded on a tropical island, I be naked as soon as I could get my clothes off (I would wear something for protection when needed). I also enjoy the challenges of wilderness survival. If you practice the skills before you need them, it doesn't have to be a terrifying situation. Been in some tough scrapes a time or two, but always learned from the experiences.

Steve (montanaman)
montanaman
Native Resident

Postby adam901 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:44 pm

jochanaan wrote:...Why wouldn't anyone want to be nude, if s/he could get away with it? :mrgreen:

Well said!

adam901
Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:11 pm

It is beyond my comprehension why anyone would wear clothes when it's way too hot for them, and yet we have several visitors today here at the resort who are dressed. They don't seem to have any problem with the other people who are nude, but they stay dressed despite it being sunny and very hot. If they plan on using the pool or hot tub, those clothes will have to come off. Otherwise, they can stay dressed if that is what they prefer. Why go to a nudist resort and stay dressed the whole time you're there? I saw a woman at one resort who wore a bright red and very small bikini all the time she was there. She caught my attention more than the nude people did. I kept wondering why she was wearing something that hid so little. I only wear clothes when it's too cold to be nude and when I have to leave the resort.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Johannes_1965 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:19 am

jochanaan wrote:...Why wouldn't anyone want to be nude, if s/he could get away with it?

I think beacuse of habit, education and conviction that clothes are indispensable for a decent life.
LivingFree wrote:I've always phrased that question, "If you were marooned on an unihabited, tropical island, would you still wear clothes? That really gets at the question of slavery to social custom!

That's a big "IF": unfortunately uninhabited, tropical islands are not nearby, they are even completely out of reach and I wouldn't even know how to survive there. So I try to do what is possible in Western Europe.
Johannes
"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit..."
(John 15,5)
Johannes_1965
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:08 pm

jochanaan wrote:...Why wouldn't anyone want to be nude, if s/he could get away with it?

I am not marooned, but when I visit one or two of our remote coastal islands, the clothes can usually come off in the back country.

The climate is subtropical and until late December, there are many afternoons when they are not needed and by late February, once again daytime nudity is typically quite comfortable. In summer, clothes are only a form of sunblock or maybe to deflect a torrential rain in a brief shower. On summer nights, one would only be able to sleep well by being totally nude, no bed sheets of any kind covering the sleeper. Hammocks are cooler than sleeping bags. At night it is no colder than 80 degrees Fahrenheit, 26.67 degrees Celsius for our friends outside the USA.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Johannes_1965 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:46 pm

Ramblinman wrote:...
The climate is subtropical and until late December, there are many afternoons when they are not needed and by late February, once again daytime nudity is typically quite comfortable... On summer nights, one would only be able to sleep well by being totally nude, no bed sheets of any kind covering the sleeper. Hammocks are cooler than sleeping bags. At night it is no colder than 80 degrees Fahrenheit, 26.67 degrees Celsius for our friends outside the USA.

You have really good luck with your islands! In August we had a few weeks so hot that sleep was only possible without any cover. Once I got the chance to do a nude nightwalk with bathing in a small river and sleeping some time on grass, all in an area that can be quite frequented at daytime. But there was too much noise and activity of animal nightlife around, so I finally got inside again.
Johannes
"I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit..."
(John 15,5)
Johannes_1965
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Johannes_1965 wrote:You have really good luck with your islands! In August we had a few weeks so hot that sleep was only possible without any cover. Once I got the chance to do a nude nightwalk with bathing in a small river and sleeping some time on grass, all in an area that can be quite frequented at daytime. But there was too much noise and activity of animal nightlife around, so I finally got inside again.
Johannes

On the islands it is better to sleep in what is called a tent hammock, but most people just sleep in tents with the flaps open to expose the screens. Very hot sleeping on the ground, though.
And yes, I know what you mean about the animals. Deer, raccoons and snakes roam the islands at night and sometimes they are noisy. The horses, armadillos, wild hogs and donkeys are quiet at night, but they will be awake and moving around earlier in the morning than humans. The alligators are awake and make their mating calls at night, but they usually stay in their ponds with the frogs. Other than alligators, there are no big predators on the islands. Once in a while a bear swims over from the mainland, but that is uncommon.

I never feel in danger by day and there are plenty of opportunities to be nude away from the developed camps.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Why would anyone want to be nude, anyway?