I have a better question...

Did you ever wonder what would motivate a person to be nude, around the house, or on a beach, or anywhere else? Here you can ask all your questions, and people can testify to their own reasons for wanting to live life naturally.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Postby Jon-Marc » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:32 am

jochanaan wrote:And you never fail to rub our faces in the fact, either, J-M. :mrgreen: :lol:

Every chance I get. :lol:
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Larryk1052 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:00 pm

LivingFree wrote:I've always phrased that question, "If you were marooned on an unihabited, tropical island, would you still wear clothes? That really gets at the question of slavery to social custom! :shock:

I am nude has much as I can. I am nude as I type this. Now, if I was on a deserted tropical island I most certainly would go nude. And if I were blessed with being able to live in a nudist resort I'd most certainly be nude as much as jon-marc reports he is and I would brag about like he does, too. :lol:
Larry in Kentucky

"Nude" just means barefoot all over.
Larryk1052
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:08 am

Well, I know of one man who plans to move here in June when he retires.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Strandloper » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:56 pm

Hi, Jon-Marc –
just wondering idly – will our mutual friend also remind us constantly that he lives in a naturist resort? :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
Enjoy it all the same.
Shalom,
Strandloper
Strandloper
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:38 am

That's a good possibility.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Re: I have a better question...

Postby jochanaan » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:23 pm

I still see that no one has come up with a good answer to my original question...:biggrin:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Probably the people that would prefer NOT to be nude most would be perverts, criminals and politicians (or am I repeating myself :D).

That is because their body language would be more likely to give them away.

It's hard to tell is someone is lying if all you can see is their eyes and their mouth....

... and that goes for perverts and criminals as well :?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re:

Postby nuudman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:19 am

LivingFree wrote:I've always phrased that question, "If you were marooned on an unihabited, tropical island, would you still wear clothes? That really gets at the question of slavery to social custom! :shock:

Amen! Are you free to think and do, or are you slave to the customs of men?

NEW!!!

OUR GOD IS GREATER-Chris Tomlin

GOD OF THIS CITY-Chris Tomlin

These two songs are very indicative of the church i serve at. "GOD OF THIS CITY" is almost like our informal anthem.

nuudman
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Mon May 28, 2012 1:29 am

I suspect a lot of people would keep their garments on even if stranded on a tropical island. Just because I understand how strong a hold tradition has on the mind of many.

But yah, I'd drop them fabrics just as soon as I discovered I was there with no one around to object, carefully store them in a safe place for the trip out.

Many years ago I read a true story that I think happened during WWII if I remember right. My recollection may not be 100% accurate, but this is as I remember it.

A ship of cargo with some passengers was shelled and sunk. The ships cook (a big black guy) and a young white boy, along with the ships cat, found a makeshift raft from the ships wreckage. And they were drifting for several days. The boy stared at the suns reflection off the water too long and went mostly blind.
They finally got within sight of a small island and headed for it. The cook made a shelter, ate seafood and coconuts. A small freshwater spring was there. And they survived for some time.
At one point a tropical storm practically blew everything away. The cook sheltered the boy with his body and was killed by some flying item. The boy had learned how to do all the necessary things even though he couldn't see much, keeping a fire going and gathering food, so was able to survive on his own. And the time spent there was long enough his clothes got ragged, so he just didn't wear them. He wanted to be able to signal a passing plane when one would come by, so he found some oily feeling vines and made a big pile to light on fire just as soon as he heard something.
Finally he heard a plane and lit up the pile. The plane passed on, and he was very discouraged. But within a day or two a ship stopped by. His fire had been seen. The ships crew was surprised to find only a naked boy and a cat. Afterwards he was reunited with his mother, and medical technology helped him regain his sight enough to function. His mother was also on the ship that was sunk and she'd been rescued by other means.

The idea of being naked on an island reminded me of that story. -RDT
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby satexsun » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:38 pm

DaveT said

"But yah, I'd drop them fabrics just as soon as I discovered I was there with no one around to object, carefully store them in a safe place for the trip out."

Yeah, I'd store them too, in the stack of firewood that would be my rescue signal...IF I ever wanted to be rescued.

Larry
De Colores!! Sometimes He calms the storm, other times He calms the child.
satexsun
Native Resident

Postby Shadyblue7 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:06 am

Hello all animals are nude and so should humans.
Shadyblue7
Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:19 am

I'm not sure how I missed this strip (Natman has said threads are for textiles) in the past but I definitely would love to go nude everywhere all the time if I knew I wouldn't be arrested. I HATE wearing clothes. I wear minimal clothing (shorts and sometimes a shirt) in my wife's presence to keep her happy, especially when our daughter and grandaughter are here. It just makes life easier. When my wife is not at home I sunbathe nude as much as possible and wear only a terrycloth wrap in my daughter's presence since she's asked I not go nude in her's and my grandaughter's presence. My daughter knows and accepts the fact I'm a nudist.I admit I do wear clothing when others visit but would love to make our's a nudist friendly home with a posted notice by the door welcoming all to drop their clothing at the door if they wished and to xpect to see the occupants (wife and I, if she'd do it) nude. Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Re:

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:16 pm

LivingFree wrote:..... "If you were marooned on an unihabited, tropical island, would you still wear clothes? That really gets at the question of slavery to social custom! :shock:

Well responding to the last part first, I believe that as a hypothetical philosophical question It really does get to the question of "slavery to a social custom".

BUT ...... Realistically the answer might be more complex.

How do you know the island is uninhabited. If you must find out by discovery, it might be best to keep the clothing on at least until you are reasonably sure.
Unless you are well conditioned to being bare in that climate, you should take some transition time until you know what to expect and how to deal with it.
In a tropical climate, if you are not already well tanned, it would be ill advised to bare until you have developed enough tan to avoid burning. Tropical sun can be very hot and aggressive.
Since the question assumes you are marooned, which is a psychological trauma in and of itself, it would be best to try to keep things in a familiar and consistent mode while you make the mental transition. Of course this can be quicker if you were a practising naturist prior to being marooned.
Unless you are already highly familiar with the flora of the island, keeping your clothes on could keep you from having an unfortunate massive experience with an irritant plant or one capable of cutting tender skin.
After allowing for a reasonable transition time based on some of the items above, I expect I would transition to naturist mode before the clothing got worn out and try to keep it from rotting away due to the humidity and heat of the environment so that I could have it for practical purposes at a future time if needed.

I have from time to time been accused of over analysing a matter....... :wink:
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:55 pm

i would inquire of Herself [who is neither criminal nor pervert, nor vain, yor yet a slave to social custom] were it not that she is so little comcfortable with nudity, her own or others', that she is not comfortable even talking about it. She knows that I have certain preferences and history, but it is easier on us both do I confine my nude time to situations when, as now, there is no chance of her coming upon me.

Just yesterday I was doing a spot of work in the house for which - given the current extended heat and the messy nature of the job - i stripped to me undergarment. Quite adequately covered in the eyes of local convention - rather better covere than some on the beach - I walked past her and even so she said - only partly in jest, I fear - "Oh, a naked man."

In her case it is none of the above, not prudery. Rather it falls in with her reaction to hearing slimy insects mentioned at the dinner table, or my problem with looking at eyes - including closeups of cartoon eyes on the silver screen.

A phobia, pure and simple, is my analysis.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: Re:

Postby DaveT » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:39 am

Bare_Truth wrote:
I have from time to time been accused of over analysing a matter....... :wink:

Yah, kind of. Sort of depends on how bold one is. And other factors. Myself can take the sun heavy without fear of burn, can handle a few abrasions, know how to treat myself for ills and damage with the plants and natural things that are almost everywhere. not sensitive to irritants much, so probably would take to it faster than a less outdoor acclimatized or more tender skinned person.
Some survival training would make the psychological side much easier, and I believe everyone should have some survival training, although only a few do in our time.
Like when the grocery store don't have a thing, the job shuts down, no car, what to do?
Just walk off in the woods and fields and know what to eat, how to make shelter, how to make fire with a stick or 2.
Sounds like fun. LOL! as long as there were plenty of coconuts bananas and, um, fish? I'd have to get used to that. I don't like the flavor. But fishin for em might be fun, weave a net out of vines and grass, wading in the warm ocean naked throwing a net just like some ancient fisherman might have done.
DaveT
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Why would anyone want to be nude, anyway?