Why nude with others?

Did you ever wonder what would motivate a person to be nude, around the house, or on a beach, or anywhere else? Here you can ask all your questions, and people can testify to their own reasons for wanting to live life naturally.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Why nude with others?

Postby SteveNTL » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:35 am

baldguyseattle wrote:... But why do you all think that we want to be naked with and in front of other people?

I really don't want to be seen by neighbors or the general public ...

An interesting question, seattle. And a similar one along with it - why would one NOT want to be seen? Foe me, I like relationships, and living in relationship means being able to disclose myself to others, and have them do likewise. My relationships with my neighbors are not as close as with my friends, and the general public is even more distant. Being naked with people that I am in relationship with, even apart from their ability to be naked with me, effects the acceptance and respect I experience in that relationship - it is easy to be accepted or respected, however somewhat empty, if the other knows nothing about you; the affirmation is much more meaningful as the disclosure becomes more complete. In the case of the general public, since there is no expected feedback. in the context of relationship, the disclosure is irrelevant, and being naked may be like casting pearls before swine. Better to not entrust yourself to those that have no capacity to receive your generosity. This does not mean that one should not be naked in public, however. When I am naked in public, like when I mow my yard or garden and could be seen, or go to the beach or river, I do it for me, not to be seen. There is not really any other relationship going on at that point other than the one I have with my creator. Whether or not I am seen is irrelevant to me (I have nothing to "show off", so I am really clear about *that* motivation. :) ); no shame, no pride. So, why would one NOT want to be seen? Why is it not irrelevant (apart from any legal considerations...)?

Steve
SteveNTL
Native Resident

Postby baldguyseattle » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:41 pm

Speaking only for myself, as a newbie, I don't want the hassle and disapproval of others, if I am naked in a place where it is not expected. I don't want others to be offended or think I am a perv. While I don't think that nude is automatically lude, I am not comfortable being seen outside of places where it is expected.

However, I will say that while Seattle has no "officially" designated clothing optional places, it is not automatically illegal. Because of that, I have no problem going to a tiny "Pocket Park" on Lake Washington, where nudity is tolerated. I freely take off my clothes and go swimming as the only time the police are a problem is if someone goes onto private property. I would also do it at a mountain hot spring as I know that some of them have people taking off their clothes.

I am getting to the point where I believe that the human body is a very beautiful creation of God. One can enjoy it without sexualizing it!
baldguyseattle
Permanent Resident

Postby capstan00 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:05 am

Why be nude with others? Well, the beach is where the water is and the nudist camp has a pool.

Why go to church with others? Because it is wonderful to share the faith. To live our daily lives we need to interact with others. That romantic dinner at a restaurant is rarely private, and the kids never have the playground to themselves. Humans are social animals who (for the most part) enjoy the company of others. Even if we wanted to, it is impossible to shut others out of our lives. Every newbie home nudist, at some time or another, will have to venture out of their safety zone and and enjoy nudity with others and in communion with God's Creation.
capstan00
New Comer

Postby pcdm124 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:55 pm

I think its a desire to connect with like individuals especially since, for some of us, it is a part of ourselves that we keep hidden for others.
pcdm124
New Comer

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:24 am

Well said, PCDM. Personally, as I've stated elsewhere before, I'd like for my entire neighborhood to adopt nudism as a wayof life.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Every time I read someone posting fears about "being naked in front of others", it makes me think they expect to be up on a stage with hundreds of eyes watching.

I guess it was a little disappointing to learn, but I discovered that I was not the center of the universe, even though I was naked. (just kidding).

You are just one more person in a large group of people who all happen to be wearing the same thing: nothing. No big deal!

Back to the topic...

For a long time I was a solitary skinny dipper and I used to wonder why folks would go to a nudist resort or campground.

To be sure, there is some very comforting affirmation as folks accept you and your naked body as is, with nothing to hide the strengths and flaws. We are all God's creatures! That in itself was a really nice thing.

Although I did see one or two remarkably pretty women, most of the people were fairly ordinary (just like me). I admit that it was nice seeing a naked beauty again. (hadn't seen such cuties since a college skinny dipping trip), but after a few minutes of "Wow!", you really do get used to it. Nudity becomes normal to you and that is a good thing. It defuses a lot of the visual temptation we guys are prone to.

You can't get the same benefit from sitting in a dark room staring at photos. Social nudity puts you in the picture. You are no longer a passive observer. Nude cuties are no longer objects to merely admire from a distance, they become new friends to share your day with. The people who are merely ordinary looking are just as pleasant to talk to. Relationships are determined by character rather than looks. That is a much healthier way to live. I am not saying that textiles cannot learn this too, but the culture among social nudists tends to foster these values even more.

One other advantage of social nudity. We are provided a protected place to be your natural self. No more waiting to make sure the coast is clear before diving into the water naked. You can relax and enjoy it!

But I quickly learned that the best part of being at a naturist venue is the wonderful sense of community I found. At some of the bigger resorts that cater to tourists, this sense of community takes considerably longer to develop, but I went to a much smaller place in the foothills of the mountains and made friends quickly.
The only other setting where I felt this way was at a church summer retreat.
And to top it off, several of the people I met revealed that they were Christian.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Why would anyone want to be nude, anyway?