From "Walden"

Did you ever wonder what would motivate a person to be nude, around the house, or on a beach, or anywhere else? Here you can ask all your questions, and people can testify to their own reasons for wanting to live life naturally.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

From "Walden"

Postby jasenj1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:54 am

I'm reading Thoreau's "Walden" at the moment. I don't agree with everything he says, but found the following passages insightful.

“As for Clothing, to come at once to the practical part of the question, perhaps we are led oftener by the love of novelty and a regard for the opinions of men, in procuring it, than by a true utility. Let him who has work to do recollect that the object of clothing is, first, to retain the vital heat, and secondly, in this state of society, to cover nakedness, and he may judge how much of any necessary or important work may be accomplished without adding to his wardrobe”

“I have heard of a dog that barked at every stranger who approached his master's premises with clothes on, but was easily quieted by a naked thief. It is an interesting question how far men would retain their relative rank if they were divested of their clothes. Could you, in such a case, tell surely of any company of civilized men which belonged to the most respected class?”
jasenj1
Native Resident

Re: From "Walden"

Postby Petros » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:16 am

I have never been able to care for Thoreau, but this is not offensive. The behavior of the dog toward the naked thief is certainly interesting. I wonder how it was fiound out?
As for the last point, in most societies where peopled are not clad - and even in many where they are - standing goes not by your lineage and degrees but by what you can do. Class as we know it is less commonly an issue, though of course there are exceptions like the Tahitians. And of course the Hebrews with their priestly clan and the hewers and haulers.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:50 am

I think Thoreau might have been a proto-nudist, by this evidence. Walt Whitman certainly was, if one is to believe Leaves of Grass.
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby jasenj1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:18 am

Reading that "male nude swimming" site has sent me off on a history tangent. The topic of this thread is "Why would anyone want to be nude, anyway?" The truth is, people have been being nude for a very long time. Often for the practical reason of bathing - out doors, in full view of others, because there was no indoor plumbing; or heavy manual labor was done nude because people owned very few clothes - until recently clothing was expensive.

It is only fairly recently that nudity has been stigmatized.

- Jasen.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Return to Why would anyone want to be nude, anyway?