One Answer and a Question

Did you ever wonder what would motivate a person to be nude, around the house, or on a beach, or anywhere else? Here you can ask all your questions, and people can testify to their own reasons for wanting to live life naturally.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

One Answer and a Question

Postby Petros » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:11 am

This was in part stimulated by discovering belatedly that one cousin shares my problem with eggs.

At least in some circles, it has been suggested that there is an increased drive to be nude among those with certain sensory issues. The variety of heightened sensitivities is great, and includes aversion to certain odors, textures, tastes, positions, etc.

Many include in their lists of sensory issues constrictive garments, seams or tags next the skin in garments, fabric textures, fabric scents. It is easy to see how individuals with such sensitivities might be more asttracted to nudity than the lave.

But here it is:

I have a list of sensory issues that includes eggs, loud noises, slimy textures [finger or mouth], files coarse or fine [touch or sound], tight clothing, stiff fabric, some tags. Since early childhood where feasible I have preferred nudity. Prediction confirmed.

But Herself has her own list of sensory issues, including loud noises, metal scraped on metal, perfumes, tight clothing, stiff fabric, tags. One might predict she too would be inclined to throw off clothing whenever practical.

But instead she is averse to the feel or sight or thought of nudity.

Clearly NOT a sufficient explanation.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Re: One Answer and a Question

Postby MoNatureMan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:15 am

Not sure about that, but a higher percentage of nudists are very intelligent, much highly above that of the general society.

If you don't know what you are talking about - start a rumor. :lol:

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:26 am

Petros wrote:This was in part stimulated by discovering belatedly that one cousin shares my problem with eggs.

At least in some circles, it has been suggested that there is an increased drive to be nude among those with certain sensory issues. The variety of heightened sensitivities is great, and includes aversion to certain odors, textures, tastes, positions, etc.

Many include in their lists of sensory issues constrictive garments, seams or tags next the skin in garments, fabric textures, fabric scents. It is easy to see how individuals with such sensitivities might be more asttracted to nudity than the lave.

As someone with Asperger's Syndrome, I can understand what you refer to here. It is a common (but not universal) condition of Asperger's to have a greatly heightened sensory system (or peculiarly just one particular sense) to the point that it interferes with normal functioning. Stimuli so slight that other people would not or hardly notice can be overwhelming. (Of course if one is an avid hunter, a heightened sense of smell and sound can be beneficial.) So without implying that everyone with some heigtened sensory issues is an "Aspie", I can still say that I have a basis for really understanding what you are saying. Perfumes are a real problem for me, I simply cannot go into the soap isle at the grocery store, unless I hold my breath while in or next to that isle. Most cosmetics and many shampoos are oppressive to me. Only a few flowers are problematic, but Lilacs are as bad as any artificial scents.

As to naturism and my case, Yes!, I often find clothing a tactile discomfort, at the same time the rush of pleasant tactile feeling of a slight breeze or warm sun or even the coolness of mild winter conditions to be a rush of pleasure, but there is no way I can determine if it is more for me than others, but given the numerous heightened sensitivities I can identify, I suspect that it is.

Did being an Aspie, make me a naturist? I could not say, but given the early and persistent inclination toward naturism in the face of textile upbringing (brainwashing) I suspect it did ! Does it make being a naturist a more positive thing, I really think so!
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:41 am

All three of us - ego Petros, Herself, Number 1 Son, and I think Nice Niece Liesl and her younguns - are in the Asperger grey area. Spliters will likely diagnose us out, lumpers let us in. I am the only certified wude-be-nude - though Liesl has said things that suggest it may be in there. Herself the only certified nearly-never-nude. All of us have various sensory deals beyond the norm of our siblings or cousins.

It seems most improbable that all who are more comfortable unclothed are fringe or central Aspie. My sister and Number 1 Son's cousin, not equipped with sensory issues, have been quite comfortable topless.

For one with an enquiring mind pursuing the examined life, it is a bittykin frustrating that I have NO way to decide would I feel the same nudity preference if I did not have the sensitivities.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Petros wrote:...It seems most improbable that all who are more comfortable unclothed are fringe or central Aspie...
I have never had any hint that I am even on the spectrum, nor do I have the sensory issues--and I'm still more comfortable naked! With me it's just common sense: Why keep yourself enclosed when there are so many benefits to going free? 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby JimShedd112 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Well said, jochanaan, when you ask "Why keep yourself enclosed when there are so many benefits to going free?" I too don't believe I have any hints of Asperger syndrome nor my wife, though she does have sensitivities to certain chemicals and such (according to what I've read her's is non-allergic rhinitis though she also suffers from a wide range of allergies).

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:25 am

A fair amount of literature and derivative discussion focusses on the sensitives' problems with clothing as a defect [as if those numerically normal would not have difficulty in a culture designed by and for me]. They then go into strategies for shoehorning the sensitives into he clothing demanded by convention. At no point do any writers I have encountered examined the question WHY it is conventional, attending a do in Florida in the summertime, to squeeze into inflexible clothing that breezes cannot penetrate and that can be kept from perspiration staining only with chemicals that are hardly "green".
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:19 am

JimShedd112 wrote:Well said, jochanaan, when you ask "Why keep yourself enclosed when there are so many benefits to going free?" I too don't believe I have any hints of Asperger syndrome nor my wife, though she does have sensitivities to certain chemicals and such (according to what I've read her's is non-allergic rhinitis though she also suffers from a wide range of allergies).

Jim Shedd
One can be sensitive to things without having Aspie's.

Petros, obviously those writers weren't nudists/naturists! :roll:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:16 pm

I rather think of the question as being similar to the question:
-- Do blondes have more fun
i.e.
-- Do aspie naturists have more fun.

Though I rather think the question would resist a definitive answer. But based on personal reaction I suspect that it is a possible, maybe probable, "yes". But probably only on the sensory experience but not necessarily the social naturism aspect as we aspies are notorious social klutzes.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:28 am

Not so quantifiable. And tricksified by relativity. If A has more fun than B bicycling nude [whether we use a fixed scale of pleasure or measure it relative to A and B's base states], B may have more fun than A in game of street football.

But with regard to the social aspects - one would LIKE to think that a community that prides itself on not taking body configuration too seriously would not worry about klutzheit.

There is in town - further data classified - a gentilhomme what if'n he hain't
on the spectrum I'm a Doukhobor. I have briefly chatted with him on occasion - from the way he reacts to any conversational encouragement I suspect he gets little from coworkers. I enquire of those amongst us with experience of naturist society - what would one expect to happen on the introduction of a nerdy social klutz?
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:36 am

Petros wrote: ...... I enquire of those amongst us with experience of naturist society - what would one expect to happen on the introduction of a nerdy social klutz?
While travelling together on a business trip with a colleague of mine, he made a comment that perhaps sheds some light toward an answer to your question.

He said. "You know, you are not so hard to take, in small doses after one gets to know you".

Of course he too was an engineer and as a lot we are mostlyl a bit nerdy. It is, after all, the root of the Dilbert episode called "The Knack". in which the child psychiatrist diagnosing "little Dilbert" said it best while explaining to the mother the prognosis about a life of " .... utter social ineptitude ...... he'll be an engineer".
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:44 am

Social graces are overrated. Once when riding from Nebraska to Denver with a friend, she and I immediately got to talking about some very deep issues. As we got near the mountains I commented that we had not engaged in any small talk, and she agreed that what we talked about was much better. "Skip the small talk, go deep at once!" :D (She's happily married to someone else, one whom I respect greatly. But she knows how to be a friend "closer than a brother." It works that way sometimes. 8) )
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:57 pm

[He said. "You know, you are not so hard to take, in small doses after one gets to know you".]

Oh, yes, I have had a couple comments close to that. One of the earliest was one who interrupted a group linguistics session to tell me "You are really deep down a warm person."

To be teddibly frank [not my name], I have thought though not said the "not so hard to take" about several who count as socially with it.

[immediately got to talking about some very deep issues ... we had not engaged in any small talk]

There you have it. Your kind [sounds so ethnocentric] if I read you aright - and you do seem consistent - is more sociable of appearance than mine, but you share the fatal flaw of getting into serious and deep issues - not on the list of the top five social graces.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:44 pm

Petros wrote:...[immediately got to talking about some very deep issues ... we had not engaged in any small talk]

There you have it. Your kind [sounds so ethnocentric] if I read you aright - and you do seem consistent - is more sociable of appearance than mine, but you share the fatal flaw of getting into serious and deep issues - not on the list of the top five social graces.
Oh, I understand when to go deep and when not to--but if someone's willing to go deep at once, I'll take the dive too. :)
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:08 pm

I am a bit slower to go deep - as was said of the Kikuyu in the early days, I need to lay down a foundation of trust - often I will follow but much slower to initiate. Some there be, though, where I simply cannot communicate meaningfully - I can with some lecture or joke.
Petros
Native Resident

Next

Return to Why would anyone want to be nude, anyway?