Are you an introvert or extrovert?

Did you ever wonder what would motivate a person to be nude, around the house, or on a beach, or anywhere else? Here you can ask all your questions, and people can testify to their own reasons for wanting to live life naturally.<P>All Villagers may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Are you an introvert or extrovert?

I am an introvert.
86%
I am an extrovert.
14%

Total votes : 14

Re: Are you an introvert or extrovert?

Postby Petros » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:28 pm

I am rusty on three phase. It does not help that my course work paid very llittle attention to the few in the group who were not headed toward solid state.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Thulcandrian » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:20 pm

New_Adventurer wrote:
That's why introverts can be found sitting by themselves alone or in the company of other introverts on the outskirts of the action.

That is just like me. On my wedding day, in the middle of a hundred guests, I was sitting quietly at the picnic table explaining to my new cousin how three-phase power worked. And when I finished after ten minutes he said that after years of frustration he finally understood what it was and how it worked. Then it was grab the new wife and bail out.

I love that example. I find the Myers-Briggs scale fascinating and have done a lot of reading on it (albeit on the Internet, but I try to be discerning). What I like about it is that it allows for endless variation among types. It acknowledges that nobody is fully one thing or another but provides a spectrum for each category. I for one generally consider myself an introvert, but I kind of flip an "extrovert switch" in certain settings and can enjoy being around other people, sometimes even finding it energizing. However, I typically don't enjoy concerts (except maybe the symphony) and at parties I tend to hang out in the corner or a separate room with a small number.

I'm also fairly split between J and P with how I make decisions and sometimes I wonder if I've gotten the right results because, as some others mentioned on this thread, the questions in the online quizzes often aren't well written. To get a good evaluation you are supposed to meet with a counselor who's been trained for MBTI testing and can walk you through the questions, giving you feedback along the way. Since that's a little expensive and hard to schedule, I've tried to just compare results from lots of questionnaires, and my most common result is INFJ, with the categories I mentione bordering on going the other way. Whenever I read more detailed descriptions of the types, that one seems to suit me the best. So many things about my thought processes--that I was always surprised to find differed from others'--are spelled out in the INFJ description as if someone had observed me my whole life. Again, there of course multiple variations in all 16 types, as anyone who knows anything about human behavior can tell you, and many of those illustrations circling around Facebook often fail to assign the right profiles to the characters of whatever franchise they've flailed to analyze, BUT it is still fascinating and a great way to examine your individual strengths and weaknesses.

That said, I've tead that famous INFJs include Edward Norton, Haley Joel Osmont, Cate Blanchett, Mahatma Ghandi, Adolf Hitler, and Osama Bin Laden. Interesting company and DEFINITELY a lot of variation.
Thulcandrian
Permanent Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:06 am

Well, sounds like you on the MBTI are pretty much me on the MBTI. I might suggest you check out enneagram typing. This one > http://www.enneagramtest.net/ < is simple, short, and when tested just now got me right; there are plenty of instruments out there. Herself and I - and Number 1 Son, Nice Niece Liesl and a couple others - have been looking into this stuff quite a while. Enneagram typing does not correlate well with the MBTI - they are looking at different axes - but we have found that it has more explanatory value for us - why I got on better with my sister than my mother, and why my mother found both of us problematic. And why with bil Conn I make certain kinds of joke and we communicate well, but with bil Liam jokes fall flat and attempts to dizscuss fail.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:27 am

New_Adventurer wrote:.....
That is just like me. On my wedding day, in the middle of a hundred guests, I was sitting quietly at the picnic table explaining to my new cousin how three-phase power worked. And when I finished after ten minutes he said that after years of frustration he finally understood what it was and how it worked. Then it was grab the new wife and bail out.
I can sooooo identify with that! and my wife admits to recognizing the pattern :roll: . I just hope that your engagement had been long enough for your bride to know what she was getting into. :lol: I think however that it deserves a more specific term than "Intorvert". Maybe something like "Techno-Introvertism :wink: "
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Jon-Marc » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:35 pm

jasenj1 wrote:
Jon-Marc wrote:Introverts are not only loners (like me), but they see only the bad in life and not the good. Extroverts see everything as good and only expect good in life. Neither of those (in my opinion) is realistic.

Semantics. I think you are using a bad definition of the two terms.

http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-pers ... ersion.htm

Maybe so--I'm just using the definitions that I heard from others.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:56 pm

"Techno-Introvertism":

you may well be right - my introversion is arguably at approximately the same level as Herselfs, but we are very different flavors. But I think we need a serious study of introtypology before firming up terminology. Perhapd for the present we should copy the medicos and birdwatchers and establish that pattern [I have done it, though it is not my major mode] as "New Adventurer Syndrome" and my party group's pattern as "Arsenius Pattern Distancing" - And so on.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:47 am

My courtship was almost seven years. That was for finishing high school, two years of junior college, three years of senior college, and a year at a job. During the last year she was getting a teaching credential. In short, yes, she knew me very well and exactly what she was getting into. We lived and loved passionately until she got sick and passed away after 36-1/2 years of marriage at the age of 60.

Enneagram typing, well mine is all over the map. Besides being weird I sometimes describe myself as wacko too. At work I was the loose cannon on deck that frequently suggested ideas that were rejected quite strongly and then adopted whole heartedly shortly thereafter.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:53 am

Ayuh - well - I ever tell you about the famous Department meeting? A couple others wanted to do X which any idiot [except my colleagues] could see was an incredibly bad idea.

I started arguing against it, everybody pooh-poohing all my points. Except slowly one, then another - I will not say they were convinced, but started to be on the other side. After about 45 minutes [it felt longer, but our meetings were not THAT long] one student observer sent me a grin - he saw what was happening. At meeting end, a unanimous vote for my position.

One colleague came up after the meeting - Why did you keep talking so much? he asked. You must have seen that nobody disagreed with you .......
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Petros wrote:Last year? Was it? Two autumns back, I think,

We rode out to visit Number 1 Son, who set up a special Band Buds Meet the Parents practice / performance / hootenanny [jochanaan may have an adequate technical term for this type of informal symposium....
Sounds like an "open rehearsal."
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:20 pm

Thank you. That certainly fits what was going on. I doubt it would be worth the industry's while to establish a specific label for "open rehearsal set up as a treat for special guests"
Petros
Native Resident

Previous

Return to Why would anyone want to be nude, anyway?