Dr. Ed Young on Modesty

How do people control their lust, when they are all together, naked? Doesn't the Bible say it's wrong?<P>Only Native Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Dr. Ed Young on Modesty

Postby natman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:11 pm

This morning, I happened to be listening to Dr. Ed Young, Pastor of Second Baptist Church in Houston and host of "The Winning Walk" radio broadcast.

Today's presentation was on "Modesty vs Immodesty".

You can hear it here... http://www.winningwalk.org/broadcasts/p ... 8439c12fb4 (while it is available).

Although Dr. Young is one of my favorite pastors, I believe he missed the point on this broadcast.

Please give me your thoughts.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re: Dr. Ed Young on Modesty

Postby jochanaan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Dr. Young makes the primary error of conflating sexual immodesty with simple nudity. I agree rather with the young activist from FEMEN who posted a picture of herself, topfree, her chest painted with the words "STILL NOT ASKING FOR IT." 8)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:04 pm

There were a few areas that I think he missed.

He tried to point out that "modesty" (as in covering the body) was "natural" (rather than merely cultural) by observing the reaction of women with skirts that are slit up the side grabbing their skirts when the wind blows, trying to prevent exposing themselves. I would counter that their reaction may as easily be due to the discomfort of having the wind hit their legs or preventing their own dishevelment.

Then he attempted to go back to the Garden of Eden, implying that it was God who told Adam and Eve to cover up, when in fact, they covered themselves up because they were "exposed", prompting God to ask, "Who TOLD you you were "exposed"?".

Finally, he points to Rebbecca "covering" herself when she saw Issac (Gen 24:64-65). However, the only part of her that she "covered" was her head. (This is not implying that she was nude.) In that culture, a woman covered her head with a veil to show respect and subjugation (which is the REAL definition of "modesty" and has nothing to do with how much skin is exposed).
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby prairieboy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:35 am

I did agree with his desire to take it right back to the Garden of Eden, although he did not think that through. Then we'd ALL be perfectly modest, as well as completely naked.

I partially agree. Immodesty is rampant. A lot of clothing that is designed to entice. People buy clothes for pre-teens that make them look "sexy." However, as Romans 7 shows so plainly, it is the forbidden that draws us to sin.
prairieboy
Native Resident

Return to The lust factor