My five-year-old son

We hear a lot of talk about harming children nowadays. Doesn't exposing them to nudity in the home (and elsewhere) give them a warped outlook on life?<P>Only Native and Permanent Residents may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

My five-year-old son

Postby arom » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:08 pm

My 5 yr-old son fiddles with his penis 90% of the time when he is naked. My wife tells me it is just a habit, but is a freaked out about it as I am. I tell myself he will grow out of it. Can anyone raising boys nude or who grew up in a naturist family comment?
arom
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:10 pm

I haven't had much personal experience with nudist children that age, but boys that age, nudist or not, are very aware of their penis. I wouldn't worry about it. :cool:
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby nudjohn » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:35 pm

It may just be the 'new' experience of being nude more than he is used to. Exploring his universe.
nudjohn
Native Resident

Postby arom » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:50 pm

Sorry about that. My wife is not worry about it as much as I am. At one point two days ago I looked at her and said "I can almost understand, it does actually feel good to play with it." She laughed about it.

He has not had this much naked time outside of bath time. As you all said, kids take to it like water.

Of course after church I went to my wife's classroom where she is working with the kids Wednesday nights and my son was walking around the room holding on for dear life through his shorts. So to respond to you both, it does not matter what he is wearing or not wearing -- he is certainly exploring his new universe.

Thanks and God Bless.
arom
Native Resident

Postby natman » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:29 pm

Som of it may have to do with the fact that little boys parts kind of stick together until they grow God's natural bearing system, pubic hair.

I remember having to constantly adjust things until I was around 11. That is about the time that I began sleeping naked, so I do not know if it was any different being nude most of the time or not.

I think he'll grow out of it at least when puberty sets in.

Also, young boys would rather continue to play rather than take the time to go to the restroom. They will wait until they can't hold it any longer, even resorting to grabbing and squeezing. If he's hanging on for dear life, you might ask him if he needs to go to the restroom before he hurts his bladder or his kidneys.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Webmaster » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:06 pm

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer this, and I hope it still apply to your situation.

My son went through the same thing when he around that age. Between 4 and 6 or 7 it was common to see him holding his penis, or as Natman says, adjusting himself. I finally talked to him about it and told him that it was ok to hold it when he was going to the bathroom or to wash it when he took his bath, but that playing with it wasn't a good thing.

It lead to the "Birds and Bees" talk, which I'm a big fan of starting at a young age and continuing it through the years. Of course it changes from what sex is to how to deal with the hormones, to being abstinent until married.

But for your situation, I had done some checking and found that it's common with boys that age, clothed or unclothed. A kindergarten teacher and 1st grade teacher I talked to said that they had to deal with it all the time, normally telling them not to do that and asking if they needed to go to the bathroom.

When he does that ask him if he needs to go to the bathroom. If he does then tell him to go. If he doesn't then tell him it's rude to fiddle with his penis unless he needs to go to the bathroom or needs to adjust it. If it looks like his penis is "sticking" to his scrotum then put some baby powder between them, or have him do it carefully ("Here, son, put this there" hands bottle of baby powder to 5 year old. "Ok!" FOOF! *cough* *cough* "Honey, where's the vacuum?") (Don’t ask how I know what will happen, please.) :oops:

Don't worry about him, Arom. Its normal.

WM
I am the webmaster. I maintain the site and take care of upgrades.
If you need to contact me about technical matters please send me email at webmaster@cnvillage.org
Webmaster
Councillor

Postby TheNakedNomad » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:41 pm

On the subject of little boys with their hands in their shorts... there might be another innocent explanation for that with some boys, particularly with black boys. People of African descent were created for a climate much warmer than here in the USA, and so they feel cold in instances where we'd feel comfortably warm. And often their hands feel cold to them first, so they'll stick them into their shorts to warm them, oblivious that anyone might think something else was going on.

If you're, say, a daycare worker and you see a black boy there with his hands in his briefs, it might be germane to ask him, "Are you cold?"

(This is based on an anecdote by an acquantance of mine, who regularly dealt with a boy like that.)
TheNakedNomad
Permanent Resident

Return to What about the children?