educating my reluctant spouse

Are there any other issues that bother you about nudism / naturism not covered above? How can it be Christian? Other? Any question is acceptable, just keep the conversation courteous and respectful.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

educating my reluctant spouse

Postby Hymie » Tue May 05, 2009 11:08 am

I have been reading a book called “Torches of Joy” by John Dekker, a Dutch missionary from Canada (He was raised in Holland, moved to Canada as an adult, began attending a bible college, and accepted the call to missions there). My wife has been enjoying me reading it out loud to her. This has been a very good education for her.

Dekker brought his wife and children to New Guinea in the early 1960’s to minister to the Dani tribes who were a recently discovered stone age people. After ministering there for ten years or so, the Dani people were sending out their own people to other tribes as missionaries.

Dekker had determined early on that these people would not be exploited by westerners and no western culture would be forced on them. So, after all this time the Dani men still wore only penis gourds and the women only string skirts.

One day, as he was organizing a shipment of goods to be sent by air from the Dani people to one of their missionaries at another tribe, Dekker noticed a pile of new penis gourds and string skirts with the supplies. When he asked why these things were there the reply was that the people their missionary was ministering to wore nothing at all and they believed that if those people were to become Christian, they should be dressed decently.

Dekker thought it ironic that he had been so careful not to influence the Dani people in their mode of dress and yet they were trying to export their culture to another people. He had to explain to them that what they wore had nothing to do with their Christianity.

Interesting concept, is it not?
Hymie
Native Resident

Re: educating my reluctant spouse

Postby jochanaan » Tue May 05, 2009 12:43 pm

LOL It's all in our perspective! :lol: Amazing how cultural references creep into the Gospel message! :?
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby natman » Tue May 05, 2009 2:53 pm

AMAZINGLY IRONIC!
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby nytro » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Wow!

I think I need to visit this site a lot more often than I do, I somehow managed to miss this thread!

This is very interesting though. A tribe that has been under the radar for so long, not caving into western influence, but yet when they send out missionaries, they feel that those their missionaries are working with will need to be properly clothed. I find this really interesting.
Rob
<n><
nytro
Native Resident

Return to Struggling with nudism / naturism