Is there even one, or are there more than one ....

Are there any other issues that bother you about nudism / naturism not covered above? How can it be Christian? Other? Any question is acceptable, just keep the conversation courteous and respectful.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Is there even one, or are there more than one ....

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat May 10, 2014 9:58 pm

I am aware that on this board, and not this board alone, that there are pastors of congregations and maybe even retired pastors who are naturists. But what I was wondering is; "Are there any pastors or deacons, ordained leaders of any sort, who are naturists an in some leadership role in congregations that are not naturist congregations, who are openly known to be naturists?".

Let's face it, most congregations would not tolerate such a person in an ordained leadership position. especially in this day and age. And I was just wondering if there are any ordained who are tolerated. Given society's idea that "nude = sex", and all the clerical sex scandals, I would think that being ordained and a naturist would be an occupational hazard. We certainly have enough stories of members being ejected or restricted for their practice of social naturism. There seem to be a few lucky pastors who serve naturist congregations at resorts and therefore do not have to hide that aspect of their lives, but are there any other than those who can say the same? I would assume that any pastors or deacons who are naturists are likely to be expelled if their practice becomes known, and would also unable to get any further recommendations.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Is there even one, or are there more than one ....

Postby ezduzit » Sun May 11, 2014 7:54 am

Bare_Truth wrote:I am aware that on this board, and not this board alone, that there are pastors of congregations and maybe even retired pastors who are naturists. But what I was wondering is; "Are there any pastors or deacons, ordained leaders of any sort, who are naturists an in some leadership role in congregations that are not naturist congregations, who are openly known to be naturists?".

Let's face it, most congregations would not tolerate such a person in an ordained leadership position. especially in this day and age. And I was just wondering if there are any ordained who are tolerated. Given society's idea that "nude = sex", and all the clerical sex scandals, I would think that being ordained and a naturist would be an occupational hazard. We certainly have enough stories of members being ejected or restricted for their practice of social naturism. There seem to be a few lucky pastors who serve naturist congregations at resorts and therefore do not have to hide that aspect of their lives, but are there any other than those who can say the same? I would assume that any pastors or deacons who are naturists are likely to be expelled if their practice becomes known, and would also unable to get any further recommendations.

Does one have to practice "social nudity " to be a naturist ? I don`t know if being a "home" nudist would be an issue (problem) within our church........... by home I mean within your own home , yard etc......... I would agree with your assumption that those who practiced social nudity would probably lose their position of leadership and even perhaps those who are "home nudists"
It is my understanding that the Quaker religion does not condemn nudity........

Ez
ezduzit

Postby jjsledge » Mon May 12, 2014 7:55 am

The Quakers do not condemn nudity, but few of them know the history of nude protests and the summer camps where all the children were nude including the co-ed camps.
Those who judge the motives of othere are simply revealing what's in their own hearts. Frank Viola "Revise Us Again" p.89
jjsledge
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon May 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:Let's face it, most congregations would not tolerate such a person in an ordained leadership position. especially in this day and age. And I was just wondering if there are any ordained who are tolerated.

As I read this, I thought, "How ironic!". I find it ironic that a pastor who preaches and practices that we are made in the "Image and Likeness of God"; that God called His creation, including the unashamedly nude human body not merely "good", but "VERY GOOD"; who points out the God NEVER proclaimed the merely nude human body as "bad" but rather those things that can be done WITH the body, either nude or clothed as well as the desires of our hearts as "bad"; who teaches, as Jesus did, that we ought not worry about what we will wear nor chastised His followers, Peter and John for working in the nude, fishing, in clear sight of land; and who teaches that God accepted the fervent prayers of His prophets, even when they prayed publicly nude to days and weeks on end, even commanding some to do so for years at a time, would not be tolerated by a congregation, while pastors who preach acceptance of the homosexual lifestyle, going so far as to perform same-sex marriages, all of which are declared "abominations" before God in His Word, worthy of death by stoning would be welcomed with open arms. :)

Bare_Truth wrote:We certainly have enough stories of members being ejected or restricted for their practice of social naturism.

I have only heard of one (Jon-Marc). However, I have heard of people who have either been made to feel uncomfortable or who have "assumed" that the church would not tolerate their lifestyle leaving a church. Perhaps others will come forward with their "HORROR" stories.

I know of very few people who have either been discovered or who have approached their pastor or church leadership about their naturist lifestyles. I have told the last three pastors I have served under and the subject has come up several times in Sunday School, Bible study and in our tight circle of Christian friends and never received a truly negative comment apart from something tongue-in-cheek.

ezduzit wrote:Does one have to practice "social nudity " to be a naturist ?

In my (not so) humble opinion, NO. To me, "naturism" is more of an attitude than a practice. It is how we see and react to all things that God created, appreciating them for the design and purpose they are given, similar to the way that God views them. Nudity is a part of that attitude, but not the only part. As "naturists", we recognize that God created our bodies in His Image and His likeness because He wants to have a relationship with us. He created our bodies to perform best when they are treated the way He designed them to be treated, allowing them to be completely exposed to natural sunlight, air and water. We also recognize that in allowing our bodies to be as God intended them to be, we waste far less of the precious resources which God gave us, making is better stewards of the Earth.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jasenj1 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:43 pm

natman wrote:
Bare_Truth wrote:We certainly have enough stories of members being ejected or restricted for their practice of social naturism.

I have only heard of one (Jon-Marc).

Raises hand. See here in my introduction. I'm not a pastor, though.

I believe Pastor David RN pastors a small church in a seniors mobile home park.

- Jasen.
jasenj1
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon May 12, 2014 11:32 pm

natman wrote:... I have only heard of one (Jon-Marc). However, I have heard of people who have either been made to feel uncomfortable or who have "assumed" that the church would not tolerate their lifestyle leaving a church. Perhaps others will come forward with their "HORROR" stories.

I know of very few people who have either been discovered or who have approached their pastor or church leadership about their naturist lifestyles. I have told the last three pastors I have served under and the subject has come up several times in Sunday School, Bible study and in our tight circle of Christian friends and never received a truly negative comment apart from something tongue-in-cheek...
I, on the other hand, have been denied a leadership role in one congregation because I told the worship team leader I was a naturist, and have been asked to step down from being worship leader in another congregation for the same reason. Not because they could point to anything sinful about it; no, it was because "the congregation would make assumptions..."
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Return to Struggling with nudism / naturism