Smoking out the Congregation.

Are there any other issues that bother you about nudism / naturism not covered above? How can it be Christian? Other? Any question is acceptable, just keep the conversation courteous and respectful.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Smoking out the Congregation.

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat May 31, 2014 2:51 pm

I hope this is the right place to post this, After some consideration of the possibilities it was the best compromise I could come up with.

I just got through reading an introductory post of a couple who are evangelicals and have been naturists since when they married. The lament was that they could not openly share this in their congregation for fear of how people would react and felt that if even if there were others who felt the same way as they, "how would you know".

A strategy for finding out where people stand on the issue in your congregation suddenly hit me. There might be a way to smoke out those in the congregation who would go ballistic and those who might be more accepting. This couple knew other naturist Christian couples that they had met at resorts.

So the strategy works like this:
-- You get this other couple to show up at your congregation and enquire about joining the congregation
-- After a visit or two they openly express their naturist ways.
-- You then watch to see how the buzz goes in the congregation.

I would suspect that in short order you would find out who is pro-textile and who is pro-naturism and who is neutral. This might work better if there were 3 such couples from different congregations so that you could return the favor without going to visit the congregation the visitors to your congregation came from so that your cover is not blown. Of course this might require some distance between the congregations to provide cover.

Ok, there is the core of the idea, and even if no one does this it would be interesting to hear how you think it might work or malfunction. And if anybody really tries this, be sure to write it up under a screen name and post it here. There need not be any dishonesty here, merely an exercise in being wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove.[1]

Alright, that was a little bit tongue in cheek, but not totally so.

[1]
Matthew 10:
16 ¶Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Smoking out the Congregation.

Postby JimShedd112 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:46 pm

A pretty god proposal, in my opinion, Bare_Truth. I'm not a church goer nor Christian so I don't have any such reference point. However, I've had no negative feedback from the friends and co-workers I've told I'm a nudist. One commented it didn't sound very conservative (meaning politically). Another initially cautioned me due to thoughts I might encounter law enforcement issues on my own property but he backed off with an apology if he seemed opposed, the very next day.

Others have been very receptive and share an interest in nudism though they've not committed to social nudity themselves. The rest have simply been neutral. So, basically, the great worry about telling others you love nudity might be holding you back from sharing a wonderful experience with others who might want to join you in nudity.

Jim Shedd
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:54 am

Not saying it might not work, and of course being who / what I am I love a good stealth operation.

But it seems like overkill. If you are actually interacting with this congergation - and I assume you are, else how would their attitude toward naturism matter that much - then it should not be hard to determine their attitude without a word spoken. Is speaking in tongues proclaimed from the platform as abomination or requisite, with loud amens from the body? Is the visitor who entered in Hawaiian shirt and sandals [preach it, Bill!] instead of a suit studiously avoided? Do the ladies delicately advise your wife not to wear green next Sunday?

A body that gets fired up over that stuff is not, in this time and place, is NOT really likely to take a clothing optional view.

If you happen on a pastor who sticks to positive and spiritual preaching [passing over the ten week series on tithing] and a bunch where everybody sincerely enjoys and welcomes whoever walks in, then a test of some sort might be appropriate.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:25 am

There is one Pastor I know personally, at least slightly, because he is in this loose coalition of congregations and shows up at some regional gatherings. On such an occasion, I was chatting with him and the topic of modesty came up. His one comment that stuck with me was when he said that he needed to find an occasion to address the topic of "breast modesty" :shock: as he felt that some of the younger women needed some guidance on that matter. I suspect that he was much more up tight on that issue than most of the congregation members who were at that regional gathering. I suspect that many of the pastors that were there would not have been so concerned, but it only takes one in such a position to get things started. I have never seen any of the women to have enough exposed skin in the breast region to even raise a question, so I wonder if he was not concerned about someone not wearing a bra and "jiggling too much" :shock: .

I find it rather curios because one of the common denominators in this loose coalition of independent congregations is a strong emphasis on Biblical literalism when it comes to establishing doctrine. Yet, as I think most here realize, it takes a bit of overzealous, low quality exegesis to condemn non-sexual nudity and trump up such a case against it.

In times past, but not yet out of memory, there was one prominent minister (now deceased) who gave a scathing denunciation over the idea that nudity could at all be considered compatible with scripture. He used the usual assertions that men cannot see nude women without being at near certain risk of lusting, that clothing that was too revealing was nearly as bad, and that due to the forbidden fruit incident that the loss of innocence required God to institute clothing, etc. (It is an interesting aside that those who make that last assertion seem to be oblivious to the fact that when God provided the clothing of animal skins, there were still no other humans or children around who needed to be protected from the sight of too much skin.)

I would not want to leave this community as, other than this blind spot, there is a zeal for God's word, caring one for another, and many ministers who work to such ends with open minds and care for their flocks. If I could find a way to get discussion of naturism started it could have a beneficial effect, but at the moment most people have bought into the idea that it is an open and shut case that nudity is just not right. For anyone to seriously question that view would largely be like burning a bridge behind themselves. It is just that the members and ministers have not taken an objective look at what the scripture says on this issue. It is a blind spot for many. Perhaps that is why I thought up the scheme that I started this strip with, theorizing about what it would take to get a serious discussion started that would get people to take a look at what the scripture really says.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby MtnDewNudist » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:57 pm

Interesting idea.

First, I would be a bit cautious as some who might be open to it may fall victim to peer pressure of others who are strongly against it. In such an 'experiment' it is possible that someone who may be open to social nudity gets overwhelmed by the rabid prude and thus becomes afraid to say anything and the perhaps even takes up the same banner just to be part of the community.

Secondly, I dare say that many if not most who are naturists or pre-disposed to it will tend to be quiet rather than openly defend the side of naturism, especially if there is a strong prudish element of your congregation. In this case the quiet ones might be the indicator for those who are naturists. Now should there be little of no condemnation then you might expect them to speak out positively for naturism which would be what you are looking for.
MtnDewNudist
Native Resident

Return to Struggling with nudism / naturism