Revealing all

Are there any other issues that bother you about nudism / naturism not covered above? How can it be Christian? Other? Any question is acceptable, just keep the conversation courteous and respectful.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: Revealing all

Postby jochanaan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:42 am

Bare_Truth wrote:...I doubt I could engage in a very interesting strip here as a Kinamatician even though that is the field in which I wrote my Doctoral Dissertation....
Oh, I might be interested, especially if kinematics has anything to do with music, and I suspect it can. :D
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Ramblinman wrote:I recall another forum in which one user had created two online personalities.
They were always arguing with one another! :shock:
Hmmmm? One might speculate if the user in question had created two online personalities (personas might be the better term if it was only on line), or if perhaps that user suffered from multiple personality disorder and had two personalities that were at odds with each other (not uncommon in such cases as; I understand such cases often manifest personalities with severe animosity one for another). From a psychiatrists point of view that would be interesting in sometimes one personality does not even know the other exists, and it would be a way for them to communicate with each other.

Generally a persona[1] is a deliberately created presentation of one's self, be it genuinel or utterly an intentionally fabricated presentation such as an actor in a play might do, or a spy, or a politician, or scammer or someone who chooses to not fully present all of him/her self. When done for privacy reasons, such a persona can be honest and real, just not all facets of one's self.

---------------------------
[1]
persona [per-soh-nuh]

noun, plural personae [per-soh-nee] personas.
a person.
personae, the characters in a play, novel, etc.
the narrator of or a character in a literary work, sometimes identified with the author.
(in the psychology of C. G. Jung) the mask or façade presented to satisfy the demands of the situation or the environment and[url]not representing the inner personality of the individual; the public personality (contrasted with anima ).[/url]
a person's perceived or evident personality, as that of a well-known official, actor, or celebrity; personal image; public role.
-----------
Note: I hate to cite anything by Jung, as he was such a wierdo that he makes even Freud seem normal!
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:32 pm

jochanaan wrote:
Bare_Truth wrote:...I doubt I could engage in a very interesting strip here as a Kinamatician even though that is the field in which I wrote my Doctoral Dissertation....
Oh, I might be interested, especially if kinematics has anything to do with music, and I suspect it can. :D
Sorry I am afraid not, unless you are referring to the mechanisms used in musical instruments such as the kinematics[1] of Piano keys and their linkage to the hammers, or possibly similar features in a pipe organ, etcetera.

In that case if you have completed the first two semesters of Calculus you would also want to include the study of "Dynamics", both courses are usually taught from an integrated text book as a two course sequence at the sophomore level and then move on to a course properly titled "The Kinematics and Dynamics of Machinery" in order to really understand such mechanisms and machines. which is usually a 1st semester Junior level course followed by a 2nd semester in "Machine Design".

However the kinematics can also extend into the graduate level, as well as Advanced Machine Design where you would pick up things such as the "balancing of mechanisms" (control of the feel of the keys). However, as a musician, if you were interested in the design of percussive stringed instruments you would also benefit from some senior/graduate level kinematics including such topics as the generation of Burmeister Curves in order to aid in the synthesis of kinematic designs. By the completion of such courses and given your musical inclinations, you could possibly become one real "kick butt" Instrument Designer. :D :shock: And after taking such courses, you would be a shoo-in for a master's thesis in that area, with for instance a possible title such as "Analyzing and Optimizing the Balance and Dynamics of the Key to Hammer Linkage of a Piano"

If that would be a student's interest, then I would suggest that someone with qualifications such as mine should be sought out as the adviser from the engineering college of the university along with a co-advisor from the music department from the College of Fine arts in order to bring in the faculty with the proper range of expertise. It is unlikely that you would want or need the full range of courses for an engineering degree for such an academic pursuit though you might benefit from inclusion of a materials science course for really doing instrument design.
:D :lol:
Oh, did I mention that one of the requirements of being an engineering professor in an accredited program is the faculty must advise each student in the program each and every semester and aid the students in program planning and special projects.
-----------
[1]
From: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kinematics?s=t
kinematics [kin-uh-mat-iks, kahy-nuh-]

noun, ( used with a singular verb) Physics.
the branch of mechanics that deals with pure motion, without reference to the masses or forces involved in it.
Also called applied kinematics. the theory of mechanical contrivance for converting one kind of motion into another.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:57 pm

Then, when you feel ready, you could try a bit of comparative research on physiologic and cognitive factors in pause [placement, length, effect on preceding and following pitch] in song, instrumental music [wind and other contrasted], conversation, oral narration, and vocal reading. A LOT of interesting stuff in there.

In my field, most of the students work hard NOT to be counselled.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:56 pm

Calculus--yeah, I'd have to take it, for the first time in my life. Not an insuperable obstacle, but not something I would want to spend a year or two doing. Of course, if I did, Bare Truth, you'd be the first person I went to. :)
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:22 am

Which raises a question Bare Truth may be able to answer:

calculus [which in my eddication I had to deal with but which I found did not match my brain structure:

Is it
A [as I have found certain linguistic approaches to be] one of the areas where the mind has to be shaped right for the elliptical pegs - so that some very dedicated and intelligent students have been unable to follow whither I tried top lead]
or
B [as in learning one's species' bird song] a thing which has to be encountered at the fleeting moment of cerebral ripeness or the mind closes the doors on acquiring it?

I hit calculus rather later than most.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:42 pm

The problem with learning mathematics is that it is taught by mathematicians. That is just fine if you happen to have the kind of mind that inclines you to become one. However if mathematics is a very useful tool to doing something else, being taught by a mathematician sucks just a bit less than being taught by a mathematics graduate student, though what sucks somewhat worse is being taught by a mathematics graduate student whose native language is not your own. I only ever had two mathematics teachers at the college level who were any good. One was a graduate student who had never taught a course before and came to the first class session with his hands shaking. However, he was a "natural teacher", (that was my first calculus course) The other was a professor who knew how to explain things. The list of really bad ones is legion! Outstanding in that field was the department chair at The University of Nebraska, Lincoln. In one course he re-defined the equal sign. He had created a use for that sign where A equalled B but B did not equal A. I finally raised my hand and pointed out that he had a "non commutative equal sign". At that point he replied in the affirmative and said he had re-defined it. Unfortunately he had not bothered to tell us that. Had I been just a bit less astonished, I might just have said something like, "Why don't you just teach this course in French instead of English! Really is there any more fundamental mathematical symbol than the equal sign? The pity of it was that there was a perfectly good mathematical symbol that means exactly what he needed, it the symbol that means A is a superset of B.

Generally , one should never take a math course if there is so much as a single student who is a math major in the class. The professor will teach to that student and ignore the rest. Yes there are exceptions. The company that publishes the "Great Courses" series has found one such gem in the person of Dr. Michael Starbird from the University of Texas at Austin. He has received several "teaching awards" and it is pretty obvious why! He is an excellent mathematician but he realizes not everyone has such a theoretical bent and he has adjusted his teaching accordingly. I have used his courses as refreshers, and to repair the deficiencies in teaching foisted upon me at the University of Michigan and the University of Nebraska Mathematics departments. His teaching would be a good way to lay the groundwork for someone who is going to have to take a series of calculus courses in College. Likewise his DVD's on other math topics such as statistics, probability, differential equations, etc. If you know a kid that is going to college the calculus series would be an excellent preparatory gift to study in the summer unless they have already had a superior calculus class in high school.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:44 am

My two candidates tied [I think] for the title of worst teacher ever:

A. teaching a physics course, a man who had not the slightest notion of how to keep a class on track, ang who, working a problem on the board [which he should have prepared till he had it by heart] consistently got lost and stood there staring at the mess. I had some teavhing behind me and HAD prepared for the class, and it was all I could do to hold back from going up, pushing him aside, and taking over the class. Who would have cheered me.

B. teaching econ, a woman who sat READING the textbook,raising her voice at every point that was going to be on the test.

Even ignoring recent evelopments in the academy, I marvel that a system that puts classrooms in the hands of people with no preparation, no talent, and in many cases no expertise could last a year.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:14 am

Petros wrote:...... Even ignoring recent evelopments in the academy, I marvel that a system that puts classrooms in the hands of people with no preparation, no talent, and in many cases no expertise could last a year.
(Insert seven fold Amen Here)

Just because one can sort of do the subject material themself, does not mean that one is even close to being able to teach it !

Often any apparent teaching success seems to be evident, it is often only because the student is able to learn in spite of the instructor and not because of the instructor.

Many incompetent college instructors seek to get good teaching reviews from students by handing out grades like candy, in hopes that the students will give them good reviews because they are getting the kind of meaningless "feel good" grades they became addicted to in elementary school and high school.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:01 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:The problem with learning mathematics is that it is taught by mathematicians.

That is so true. In high school, I learned more calculus from my physics teacher than I did from my calculus teacher. I also went to my physics teacher when I had trouble understanding concepts learned in calculus class.

Bare_Truth wrote: He is an excellent mathematician but he realizes not everyone has such a theoretical bent and he has adjusted his teaching accordingly.

I am the go-to tech guru in my family and amongst my close friends, and I've found that explaining why something's wrong on somebody's computer isn't as important to them as how to fix it. I have to explain technically at their level.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby nature » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:28 pm

Ramblinman wrote:I recall another forum in which one user had created two online personalities.
They were always arguing with one another! :shock:

LOL
nature
Native Resident

Postby nature » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Bare_Truth wrote:Nature,
I would recommend that you take a very truthful approach if you want to discuss it with him, but not perhaps in the way that might sound! Go ahead and study up on the arguments against and for naturism as acceptable for Christians, and then tell him that you have found a website that at first seemed like an oxymoron in that it deals with "Christian" naturism, and it seemed contradictory and that as you looked into it you found that the weight of the arguments for it far exceeded the arguments against it, and wanted to know his take on it. You might also point out that the posters on that site are strong advocates of Christianity and Christian morality and find salacious references to nudity as offensive and un-Christian. Nevertheless we find no condemnation of or warnings against chaste social nudism in the scripture, and the arguments for it are well put together. Further, our expression of our Christian Belief appears to be sincere, very will informed, biblical, and well reasoned.

I can almost assure you that if the pastor friend is the one that helped you work through past history as a victim of sexual abuse, and if he is opposed to naturism, he will almost certainly jump to the conclusion that your interest in the Nudist/Naturist issue is an outgrowth or manifestation of the abuse you suffered..

I did come to see that due to my upbringing I was looking at the matter of the nude human form as being un-Christian and and sex as somehow a tainted thing. Only through what I encountered on line did I get a true perspective, an innocent perspective, about such matters. Nudity does not equal sex! Nudity/Naturism is a very beneficial thing in one's life if one is called to receive it.

Bare_Truth

Thanks for all the advice Bare_Truth I really do appreciate it. One site that I have learnt a lot from is The Biblical Naturist. I found very strong and sound principles there. If there are other sites that you are anyone else can suggest. I would love to read them.
nature
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:45 pm

nature wrote:...If there are other sites that you are anyone else can suggest. I would love to read them.

I am glad you asked!

Although it is not in active publication, the web site for Fig Leaf Forum still has a wealth of information:
http://www.figleafforum.com/read.html
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:16 am

The worst teacher I ever had was in 1990 in my graduate-level data-networking class. National University in San Jose, California, was offering a Masters in Software Engineering as twelve classes in twelve months, five hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 60 units and you got your degree for only $7000. The degree would result in a pay raise and the ROI was about six months, considering the tuition benefits my company offered.

The teacher made a statement that a bigger wire would allow for more data transfer. There was a chorus of dissention which caught the teacher completely off guard and completely at a loss for words. Luckily for him it was break time and he bailed out of the situation. I took the opportunity to “whisper” in his ear that what he said was contrary to all my electrical engineering studies and that the size of the wire was only a factor in the current carrying capacity, the data transfer rate depended primarily on what was driving and receiving the data. After a few more blunders there was an uprising, and then the dean came in and offered us three choices; refund your tuition, no-charge class repeat in the future, or muddle on through and teach yourselves with our help. It was too far into the course to get a replacement teacher so we were stuck with what we had. I think one student took the refund while the rest of use kept a very sharp eye and ear on the teacher. Then more recently I discovered the following opinion by an unknown author. It puts a very good perspective on my bad teacher:

Quote:
I still remember the first day of one of my undergraduate physics classes, when the professor said, “Don't trust me. If you don’t question everything I say here in class, if you don’t go home and check it yourself because you’re skeptical and refuse to take my word for it, then you don’t belong here, and you’re going to have a hard time making it in physics.” I remember it because at first it seemed like the opposite of what a professor should say, but once it sunk in, I realized he was right. Real mastery of physics does not come from memorization and repetition. Real mastery comes from understanding how well the laws of physics hold up when you try your best to break them.

I will only add that this applies to all subject, theology in particular, and not just physics or any other natural science. About those laws of physics, when you violate them, retribution is swift and certain. Go around a corner too fast and there is no discussion or appeal, you are in the ditch.
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:59 am

Amen. I THINK you have my two beat,

God send us teachers who are struggling to learn and spare us from the ones who dropped out long ago.
Petros
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to Struggling with nudism / naturism