Evolving Attitude/Interest in Naturism

Are there any other issues that bother you about nudism / naturism not covered above? How can it be Christian? Other? Any question is acceptable, just keep the conversation courteous and respectful.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Evolving Attitude/Interest in Naturism

Postby natman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 pm

When I first began exploring the notion of Christian-naturism, about 16 years ago, I was VERY excited at the prospect of being nude as much of the time as possible/reasonable and spent a great deal of time exploring the internet for people of similar interest. I stumbled across a site professing to be that of a property developer who was working on converting an old, dilapidated nudist camp into a "Christian Naturist Resort" in Florida. Unfortunately, that resort never came to fruition, but the site continued as a place where people with "Christian" leanings could discuss the compatibility of Christianity and nudity/naturism. I would spend hours actively discussing religion, naturism, experiences and issues, even becoming a moderator and eventually administrator and owner of that site. Additionally, I found myself trying to build up a large collection of photos of people and particularly families enjoying naturist activities that I might be able to show to someone who could not fathom the idea of chaste social nudity.

As time went by, the then owner of that site, who is very "liberal" in his "Christianity" felt that "Conservative Christians" were taking over the site and began squashing conversations that did not have some direct tie back to "naturism". That is when this site "Christian Naturist Village" was born. Eventually, I was asked to take over this site as well. Here, we can talk about anything that is on our hearts, regardless of its relationship to naturism or even Christianity, although our primary focus is in spreading the Gospel and teaching that God is not ashamed of His own creation, including the nude human form.

I do not know if it is the fact that "naturism" has become so ingrained into my psyche that it is a non-issue, kind of like any other activity I do (I do not give much thought to walking, eating etc.), but my need to explored or interact with others here and elsewhere has diminished considerably.

Since the recent floods here in Houston, life has been EXTREMELY busy. So I have not really had much time to even think about "naturism" etc. So, perhaps this is a phase I am going through,

Is anyone else experiencing this type of thing?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re: Evolving Attitude/Interest in Naturism

Postby RMOlson » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Since I am new to discussing naturism as a Christian I spend a lot of time reading all the comments made by others on this site and a couple of others. I don’t feel like I have a lot to add to the conversation at this point but feel like each of you here add an amazing amount to my understanding of integrating naturism and my faith. So, thank you!
I look forward, Natman, to what you are experiencing.
RMOlson
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:03 am

I don't really think about naturism - I just go naked when I can and enjoy it. I especially try to find time to read, kayak, hike, work around the house, etc. But to answer your question, yes, I do experience times when I'm too busy to think about it. This seems to be true during this time of year when I'm cooped up indoors.

The discussions here do seem to have slowed or diminished some. Are we running out of things to say? :wink:

And as you infer, Nathan, I too think that naturism can get ingrained in one's psyche when it becomes a normal part of daily activity. For me, I don't desire to live in a village (except here!). Naturism is therapeutic for me and because of that I find ways to enjoy life naked. I guess I have a motivation to do so, so to speak. But truth is, it's so "natural" for me now I don't think about it much.
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:11 am

The discussions here do seem to have slowed or diminished some. Are we running out of things to say? :wink:

Speaking for meself - the day I have nothing to say has not dawned. But the past three years have been very full, and just now with financial crisis and associated issues - tax time coming up and all - I have less non-emergency time and energy.

Topic wise - I am not designed to be an organizer or an activist or an evangelist. My discussion of naturism off these premises reduces to a slow, careful proces of getting past Herself's phobia and prejudice - with some slight success. We heard yesterday - game show rerun - of a chap who got tired of waiting in line at some fast food place - so he and his friends apparently stripped and VERY quickly found themselves being served - a new power role for the nude body! But listening to that, she did not shoot me a look or utter a peep - progress, I think.

But while I don't much get into discussions of naturist philosophy or nude aplolgetics - I would rather talk about the weather or participles or that strange passage in Isaiah with others who are comfortable sitting around in the nude than with colleagues from the college or neighbours or likeminded exegetes who visualize me clothed.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:17 pm

natman wrote:Since the recent floods here in Houston, life has been EXTREMELY busy. So I have not really had much time to even think about "naturism" etc. So, perhaps this is a phase I am going through,

Is anyone else experiencing this type of thing?

My experience is quite the opposite: I am growing in excitement as I discover the linkage between the totality of naturist concepts in nudity, exercise, nature, mental health, physical health, spirituality, theology, strengthening family life and creating community.
I see naturist ideas as a natural outgrowth of the Christian mindset. Naturist ideas are part of the history of the Christian church and of its Jewish roots.
Naturist ideas are part of the history of the Mediterranean world, including Western Europe.
My Finnish forebears shared the sauna nude with family and friends.
Nudity was a central part of this heritage, for the practical necessity of exposing the entire body for cleanliness as well as an aid to this time of meditation and spiritual reflection.

Thinking back on life in my father's and grandfather's days...
In a limited context, same-sex nudity was part of everyday American life in the context of bathing and swimming in rural areas and some public schools, scout campouts and YMCA's.
While not nudism, some of the underlying assumptions about the goodness of times of nudity in one's life are logically consistent.

You can be a Christian without understanding naturist principles, but it is a logical contradiction and could lead to doctrinal error in the worst cases.
You can be something other than Christian and understand some facets of naturist thought, but you would miss out on life's greatest blessing: fellowship with our Creator such as Adam and Eve enjoyed before their fall from grace. May the Lord remove the enemy's blindness and in the process of seeing the grandeur of the natural world and the wonders of the human body, may earnest seekers gradually open their hearts to Jesus Christ as revealed in the Holy Bible.
May God continue to use each and every one of us, leading us to Christians who labor with unbiblical notions about nudity and body image and those who labor in vain without their savior.
May God help keep us reach both those within and outside the visible and invisible Church.
Many people in the Church have discovered that social nudity is a tremendous tool for the socialization and education of one's children as part of the overall Christian training they receive.

I must confess that my participation in social nudity has been hampered by the struggles of my startup business, health problems (none permanently limiting, thank the Lord), and the lingering effects of the Great Recession. I do see that changing.

I rejoice that I have indeed had opportunities to share with trusted friends about my naturist experience in recent years.

Without endorsing the extremes of diet and regimen of the Free Light Movement, I do endorse the broader original manifestation of naturism and nudism.
Nudist life seems to have turned so much toward body acceptance and self-indulgence that many of the benefits have been lost except for the sense of community and positive role modeling for one's children.

I will say that I am glad to see some return of Christian leaders to the nudist community.
We don't need a false dichotomy of nudism versus Christianity. Harmony makes much more sense.

Lastly, I am trying to create a clothes-free haven in my back yard. Budget constraints and winter storms have slowed the process down, but my goal is to make nearly 100% of my suburban back yard a place suited for naked sunbathing, gardening, exercise and relaxation.

I remain focused and motivated toward making every aspect of my life a celebration of nature and friends, and progress toward a life well-lived.
Home nudity is very much a part of these life goals.
I would like to get plugged into the local social nudist community as my fortunes prosper and I am certainly grateful for the Christian Naturist Village.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:16 pm

I'll just say that I'm like a sine wave; sometimes naturism is foremost in my mind and something I'm very avid about, and other times it's not in my mind at all. Most of the time I spend somewhere between the two extremes, traveling from one to the other. I'm an analog kid, not a digital man. 8)

However, understanding what the Bible says about nudity, naturism, and body image has really helped me in my life, as I've written about elsewhere here in the Village. It's also made me want to understand some of the more "taboo" topics in the Bible, such as circumcision. (When was the last time you had a frank, open Bible study about that? I know when I did!) These are things that are important to our faith and mean something, not just "Well, we all know they went 'snip-snip', but it wasn't like that was an identifier or anything." (A paraphrase of someone's "doctrine" of circumcision, which left me thinking "Really?!")

That's more than I intended to write, but in a nutshell I'm pre-Fallin' when I can be. :wink:
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:19 am

Maverick wrote:(When was the last time you had a frank, open Bible study about that (circumcision)? I know when I did!)

Me too. 8)

Petros wrote:I would rather talk about the weather or participles or that strange passage in Isaiah with others who are comfortable sitting around in the nude than with colleagues from the college or neighbours or likeminded exegetes who visualize me clothed.

Anything but participles! :x

But seriously, I do enjoy the discussions here and the diversity of topics introduced by one and all. Just wish we had more Villagers involved.
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:27 am

naturaldon wrote:But seriously, I do enjoy the discussions here and the diversity of topics introduced by one and all. Just wish we had more Villagers involved.

Don, the solution is quite simple: Have a fee-based system here!
Membership would be free to those who post on any given month and $10.00/month for those who don't make any posts that month! :biggrin:
Participation rates would sky-rocket. The quality of the posts would as well?
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:14 am

Oh, come now! Participles - at base nothing but a verb-related adjective - have some fascinating features. Let me just get started on gerund, infinitive and other verbal nouns, and the widespread use of locatives in infinitives, and how they relate to participles and the latter's role in marking aspect - you will be sucked in, I promise.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:51 am

Petros wrote:

Oh, come now! Participles - at base nothing but a verb-related adjective - have some fascinating features. Let me just get started on gerund, infinitive and other verbal nouns, and the widespread use of locatives in infinitives, and how they relate to participles and the latter's role in marking aspect - you will be sucked in, I promise.

Brother Petros, I used to know some of this stuff, but it's been years since I put on my lead-lined lab coat and accelerated participles and watched them collide in the chamber.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Being a naturist website, you may encounter dangling participles...

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

As to the topic of this strip, I find that my thoughts generally lean more towards nudity, and opportunities to enjoy it, regardless of the season. I first became interested in the idea of being clothes-free around age 12. Since then, I've slowly found more opportunities...

High school age... sunbathing nude in the back yard when no one was around.
Age 22... began sleeping nude.
Age 24... moved into my own place, allowing much more nude time during the day.
Age 31... started looking for "free day pass" coupons for local fitness centers, just to enjoy their saunas & steam rooms nude.
Age 38... Began modeling nude for art classes.
Age 43... First of many visits to nude beach.
Age 46... First visit to nudist resort. Started joining nudist websites.

Basically, as I become older, I tend to go searching for more ways to enjoy nudism, and to become a little more bold about mentioning it. (Some friends' expressions are priceless when I mention I model for art classes. They'll look at me and say, "Not nude..." and I'll say, "Well, yeah!")

I hope to find even more opportunities in the future.
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:13 am

Ramblinman wrote:Don, the solution is quite simple: Have a fee-based system here!
Membership would be free to those who post on any given month and $10.00/month for those who don't make any posts that month! :biggrin:
Participation rates would sky-rocket.

I smell a capitalist amongst us. Groovy.

Petros wrote:Oh, come now! Participles - at base nothing but a verb-related adjective - have some fascinating features. Let me just get started on gerund, infinitive and other verbal nouns, and the widespread use of locatives in infinitives, and how they relate to participles and the latter's role in marking aspect - you will be sucked in, I promise.

Is groovy a participle? :lol:
-Don
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:01 am

"groovy" in Englisgh is not a participle, being an adjective formed from the noun "groove" not the verb "groove". The participle would be "grooving", in Modern English doing double duty as verbal adjective and noun. But in another language the best equivalent of "groovy" might be a participle.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby nudie66 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:53 am

Groovin' ....

On a Sunday afternoon....
nudie66
Native Resident

Postby Maverick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:59 pm

nudie66 wrote:Groovin' ....

On a Sunday afternoon....

Hey, I know that song! Don't know if this counts as groovin', but I was enjoying me some Beethoven earlier this afternoon. His Pastorale Symphony, to be precise.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Next

Return to Struggling with nudism / naturism