Nudity obsession

Are there any other issues that bother you about nudism / naturism not covered above? How can it be Christian? Other? Any question is acceptable, just keep the conversation courteous and respectful.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Nudity obsession

Postby nytro » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:12 pm

Ok, one struggle I need to deal with as a Christian is being obsessed with nudity. I don't need to see others nude, but I can't seem to get enough of reading about others issues, struggles, joys, 1st time stories... I need to keep it in perspective, and to make sure that it has it's place behind God, others, and my family. I feel like I want to tell everyone about it, but I should rather be telling others about my life as a follower of Christ! God has put me into a discipleship group with a few other guys from church, and the study we're doing now is really helping me to put things into perspective. I've been a Christian for 35 years, but I still seem to have problems with the entire perspective thing. I could be on this site 24/7 if I allowed myself. I know I'm not the only one with this struggle, what have you done to help control this, and put your life back into the proper perspective?

Rob
nytro
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:02 pm

Well, society has been so negatively obsessed with nudity that it would be surprising if some of us weren't positively obsessed at some level! :? But I know what you mean; I have to fight a similar obsession. My only suggestion is, Don't let your obsession interfere with the rest of your life. As long as it's under control, I see nothing wrong with this natural desire to commune with like-minded naturists--we need the support!
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Jon-Marc » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:00 pm

What I'm obsessed with is my dislike for wearing clothes and not wearing them if I can help it. Maybe that's the same thing as being obsessed with being nude, but my problem is I find clothes to be very restricting and uncomfortable. I am active at my church and in the choir. When I'm physically able I am there Sunday morning, evening, and on Wednesday evening. I don't think I'm any more obsessed with being nude than I am with doing what's right in God's eyes.
The Righteousness of Christ--the ONLY clothing I need.
Jon-Marc
Native Resident

Postby Alfie » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:47 pm

I find it is easy to spend too much time on the computer full stop.
This is asssociated with wanting to communicate with people of like mind, naturists. There is a strong attraction in nudists wanting fellowship with other nudists.
I set aside select period of each day to participate in these forums and that's it. If I get any other spare time I may check again and if I am too busy I just don't get here. I don't check all the threads. There are some topics I just don't bother with, and if the posts are long winded I generally don't bother with them either, unless they appear to be a good story.
It's a matter of discipline and I don't think it would be unique to just some who would be 'obsessed' with nudity.
Although a personal explaination I hope this helps, Rob
Alfie
Alfie
Native Resident

Re: Nudity obsession

Postby LivingFree » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:38 am

nytro wrote:Ok, one struggle I need to deal with as a Christian is being obsessed with nudity. I don't need to see others nude, but I can't seem to get enough of reading about others issues, struggles, joys, 1st time stories...

I've actually gone through several mini "obsessions" in my research and journey into naturism. I've chalked it up to hunger for something new. I've also had similar obsessions with other things. During my seminary days I learned how to use the darkroom, and spent hours there developing films and printing photos I took photos of all sorts of things -- a second obsession. That interest eventually faded but didn't die out. Still, I no longer take as many pictures as I once did. I've gone in spurts with other obsessive interests, also. Now, of course, learning about Christian nudism is my newest interest, and along with it comes the desire for fellowship. However I don't spend as much time with it as I once did, and I suspect all my others interests will continue to cry out for their fair share of time. I could easily become fixated to the computer, but to remain a healthy individual I need the variety in my life. So I discipline my wants so I can take care of all my needs. I think it's called moderation -- it is the seventh fruit of the Spirit, btw. My real passion, of course, is talking about the Bible, and that passion will never go away. It is my basic food and drink.
LivingFree

Postby dby » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:46 am

LivingFree wrote:My real passion, of course, is talking about the Bible, and that passion will never go away. It is my basic food and drink.

I feel the same way. In fact it seems like I feel something is missing if I sit in a conversation if I'm not saying something about Scripture. Like we are scoffers as it is written "... nor sit in the seat of the scoffers" - Psalm 1:1.
dby
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:59 am

nytro wrote:Ok, one struggle I need to deal with as a Christian is being obsessed with nudity.

I am glad you mentioned this. A couple of years ago I wondered about this myself. Lately however, I feel more like a nudist obsessed with following Christ.

The difference? A church that preaches grace and truth. Through the church, sites like these and a new found a renewed love of God.
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby nytro » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:10 am

LivingFree wrote:I've actually gone through several mini "obsessions" in my research and journey into naturism. I've chalked it up to hunger for something new.

LOL, I thought the same thing, but that something new has been going on now for many years. I do not want it to get in the way of my love for God, or my service for him.

Rob
nytro
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:18 pm

Hmmm...As a musician, one could say with truth that I'm obsessed with music. But music is the principal way I try to open people's minds to the possibility that the spirit world, great truths, and even God exist and interact with us; so I am serving God in my obsession. I am also obsessed with literature--yet literature has made me a more imaginative, compassionate person, so this obsession is also a good thing. And do we not think that it would do good for all humans, especially our Christian brethren, to embrace naturism? 8)

You see? All things, even our obsessions, work together for good to those that love God.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby nytro » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:35 pm

jochanaan wrote:All things, even our obsessions, work together for good to those that love God.

God can even use sin to work for good! I find that rather interesting! God is truly amazing, the more you learn about him the more awesome he becomes! The really cool thing is, he never stops, and our "education" never stops!
nytro
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:48 pm

nytro wrote:God can even use sin to work for good! I find that rather interesting! God is truly amazing, the more you learn about him the more awesome he becomes! The really cool thing is, he never stops, and our "education" never stops!

Of course! That doesn't make the sin good; but obsessions are not really sins unless we allow them to be.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby nytro » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:06 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is a sin! LOL! That was just a "sidebar" from your qoute!
nytro
Native Resident

Postby natman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:24 pm

I do not consider myself obsessed with nudity as I am obsessed with freedom in Christ and learning the truth of scripture. I find that being able to be naked without lusting is akin to being able to drink a glass of wine without wanting enough to get drunk, or being able to eat without over-indulging or working with money without desiring to steal.

Learning to get past my own apprehensions on certain topics, I believe, should make me a better witness to others for Christ Jesus.

Christian naturism is only one of many truths I have been plowing through, trying to get a clearer picture of God's plan for us and our appropriate response to Him. It is the quest for truth that is exciting, particularly as new kernals are exposed almost daily. What HAS been revealed has come in handy for teaching and rebuking, and has given me an even firmer ground on which to stand when discussing ANYTHING Biblical.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Alfie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:24 pm

Nytro, maybe you need to make sure you turn the 'obsession' around for good by making it your mission (God leading?) to witness at nudist venues!
On other poster, maybe here maybe elswhere, says he has been called by God to witness and minister in nudist situations.
Alfie
Native Resident

Postby Neal » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:20 pm

Hi Rob,

I can relate to what you’re saying. I think part of it has to do with the fact that as Christian naturists, we’re going sharply against the grain (so to speak) of the culture that surrounds us. Good nudity is natural and beneficial for so many reasons and fosters a certain balance in our lives. It should not be a cause for obsession. But I think when something, no matter how good, has to be denied for whatever reason, it can start to cause an out of balance in our life and then become a bit of an obsession, resulting in thinking about it too much and too strongly. In my own case, it’s not just the culture. My wife is very much opposed to my views on good nudity and thus, I’m always going against the grain simply by holding the views that I have, even when I do or say nothing about it. So if I catch myself moving in a direction that looks a little too much like obsession from time to time, then I take some time to slow down, re-think, re-prioritize and get everything back on the track where I know it should be.

The fact that you’re conscious of this tendency in your own life should alleviate your fears. As long as you’re aware of it and desire to control it, it shouldn’t be a huge worry for you. You’ll be able to guard against any out of balance.

Have you prayerfully considered whether or not this might be some sort of leading or guiding that God is giving you? I wonder about this for myself. I haven’t come to any conclusions yet. It’s very confusing and has been for a long time. It’s just that this desire for good nudity seems like more than a whim – like it’s bigger than just some crazy thing that I would dream up on my own. I just have no firm idea on what I’m supposed to be doing with it.

I wish you well. I wish us all well.

Neal
Neal
Native Resident

Next

Return to Struggling with nudism / naturism