Naturism and divorce.

Are there any other issues that bother you about nudism / naturism not covered above? How can it be Christian? Other? Any question is acceptable, just keep the conversation courteous and respectful.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Naturism and divorce.

Postby Alfie » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:11 pm

An issue that I have puzzled about for some time is the relationship between Naturism and divorce.
On that biggoted website the Marriage Bed an article by a claimed ex naturist claims that the writer spoke to many male naturists, during his time as a naturist, who claim that the naturism was the cause of their divorce.
I personally find that hard to accept, but can concede that it may become a stressor in a stressed relationship.
I am looking for comments from those who are still marrried and from those who are divorced and who would either accept or refute the proposition that naturism causes divorce in some relationships.
Alfie
Native Resident

Re: Naturism and divorce.

Postby Epaphras » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:59 pm

Alfie wrote:it may become a stressor in a stressed relationship.

I'm not married or divorced but I think this sums it up well. Naturism can be the breaking point of a strained relationship.

Personally, I would never value naturism more than my marriage, but that's just me. Like I can't imagine having to actually think long and hard in deciding between my wife and naturism. It's a no-brainer for me.
Epaphras
Permanent Resident

Postby SteveNTL » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:38 pm

I don't think naturism is the real issue, at least not in my relationship. My wife, who is divorcing me, says it is one of the two irreconcilable differences. For us, it is not the core issue. I thrive in examining and perhaps throwing off tradition, to get to what is true. I think what is true about God transcends time and culture. My wife thrives more in embracing the culture of spirituality, and calling it good, and there is no reasoning with her. So, mutual respect becomes an issue. I could give up naturism, but I think we need to seek counseling and work the issue through. Otherwise, another issue is likely to take it's place, given our differing approaches to discovering God, and it just seems like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

So, I am likely to be divorced soon, after 30 years of marriage...at least in the eyes of the state of Oregon. I don't really think I will be divorced in God's eyes, since He joined us. Maybe it will be easier for us to dwell in harmony if we are not under the same roof...

My view of marriage? Don't kid yourself - every relationship has stress or strain, and will need to develope a healthy form of conflict resolution. Sure there are great times, and it is well worth it, but people are human! Duh. If it doesn't look like there is conflict, either it is just not exposed to you, or one or both of the parties is just stuffing it, which will eventually be revealed.

So, I see naturism as a symptom, easy to identify, but not the real cause. And, I suspect that is true for others.

"My way or the highway" is not a bonofide negotiating technique in marital conflict resolution, IMHO.

Steve
SteveNTL
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:43 am

SteveNTL wrote:...My wife, who is divorcing me, says it is one of the two irreconcilable differences...

If you are free to tell us, what's the other one?
jochanaan
Councillor

Re: Naturism and divorce.

Postby bn2bnude » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:19 am

Alfie wrote:An issue that I have puzzled about for some time is the relationship between Naturism and divorce.
On that biggoted website the Marriage Bed an article by a claimed ex naturist claims that the writer spoke to many male naturists, during his time as a naturist, who claim that the naturism was the cause of their divorce.
I personally find that hard to accept, but can concede that it may become a stressor in a stressed relationship.
I am looking for comments from those who are still marrried and from those who are divorced and who would either accept or refute the proposition that naturism causes divorce in some relationships.

Personally, I think that if you are looking for a "way out" of a marriage, anything can be the stressor or breaking point.

If both in the couple are Christians, the interest in a clothing optional life style may prove to be too much if the other party believes it is a "sin".

I think, though, the Marriage Bed article does use divorce as a target to make clothing optional living more "evil" in the readers eyes.

Although I can't prove it, I have heard it said that statistically, nudists have a lower divorce rate than the rest of the population. With divorce rate differences between Christian couples and non-Christian couples approaching the same rate, that is saying something (if true).
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby bn2bnude » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:19 am

After thinking about and researching the last post a bit....

1) Yes, according to this from the AANR, there are claims that AANR studies show a lower divorce rated amongst nudists.

2) That probably doesn't include nudist/non-nudist partners so it comes back to is nudism a large enough issue to break up a marriage about or is it just the excuse used?
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Postby SteveNTL » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:59 am

It's more than a little interesting to me that Christians that virtually NEVER reference "the world" as a guide to moral or spiritual behavior will use society as a reference in saying that since most people think nudism is devient behavior, or at least kinky, it must be, and therefore derive a moral guide from "the world."

Steve
SteveNTL
Native Resident

Postby SteveNTL » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:00 am

It's more than a little interesting to me that Christians that virtually NEVER reference "the world" as a guide to moral or spiritual behavior will use society as a reference in saying that since most people think nudism is devient behavior, or at least kinky, it must be, and therefore derive a moral guide from "the world."

Steve
SteveNTL
Native Resident

Postby Paul Walker » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:37 pm

My parents got divorced AFTER they stopped frequenting naturist places and activities. About the time my dad started wearing clothes ALL the time, and my mom did too, they got divorced. Seems that dad committed adultery with a woman he worked with. I suspect he began dressing all the time because he was involved in the adulterous affair and was trying to cover his sin (aka Adam?). Who knows.

When clothing was a low priority, life was good! When clothing became a very high priority, things fell apart.
Member of Laguna Del Sol
Paul Walker
Native Resident

Postby natman » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:51 pm

Ironically, it is exactly oppostite of what the world would have us believe.

IMHO, Satan had his hand in the worlds first cover up and he hasn't stopped yet. :x
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby bn2bnude » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:14 pm

natman wrote:Ironically, it is exactly oppostite of what the world would have us believe.

I find the ways of God are largely opposite what the world or even own common sense would have us believe.
bn2bnude
Native Resident

Return to Struggling with nudism / naturism