Biophilia and Gymnophilia

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Biophilia and Gymnophilia

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 am

Reading about Biophilia Design recently got me thinking about the link between the apparent inborn need for nature (Biophilia) with the enhanced connection with nature many of us experience as we enjoy nudity in our back yards, a secluded beach or off-trail in the forest. Call it Gymnophilia or simply naturism if you wish.

Don't get me wrong, I love the social aspect of my local nudist camp, but there is also a side of me that draws inspiration from enjoying nature unhindered by clothing.

Biophilia hypothesis: Idea that humans possess an innate tendency to seek connections with nature and other forms of life.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Re: Biophilia and Gymnophilia

Postby RMOlson » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:08 am

I am going to need to do a little more reading on the subject, but from my experience, running a wilderness program for teens and adults, I believe the hypothesis has merit. Even the clients that were “fearful” of the environment at the beginning sought out more and more opportunities as the programs progressed. Most of those, with whom I still have contact, continue to seek out those opportunities even 20 years later.
RMOlson
Native Resident

Postby naturaldon » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 am

Sounds quite prelapsarian to me. :cross:
-Don
He must increase, but I must decrease. (John 3:30)
naturaldon
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:50 pm

I recently found a Master's Thesis on the design of a nudist resort by Phillip Edward Buchy.
One could argue that he was badly off topic for the early portion of his thesis, but perhaps he felt it necessary to describe the nudist movement past and present in great detail before he could explain what they need in design.

Designing a living space for nude people has elements of biophilia and certainly supports gymnophilia.

So if you are interested, download the pdf by clicking on the link below:
https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file ... n%3Dinline
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:11 am

One could argue that he was badly off topic for the early portion of his thesis, but perhaps he felt it necessary to describe the nudist movement past and present in great detail before he could explain what they need in design.

Talk to his advisor or committee. Very common in theses and dissertations.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby webmeister » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 am

Petros wrote:

Talk to his advisor or committee. Very common in theses and dissertations.

To be badly off topic or the need to explain in detail before the main topic?
Live - Love - Laugh
Have Fun!
webmeister
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:52 am

I meant the latter - an all too common fault. But the other can happen too. I once owned a book based on a dissertation - the first third was waste paper detailing the theoretical approach being followed.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:18 am

Petros wrote:I meant the latter - an all too common fault. But the other can happen too. I once owned a book based on a dissertation - the first third was waste paper detailing the theoretical approach being followed.

My understanding of theses and dissertations are that their purpose is to prove the depth of the knowledge and scholarship of the author. That's the point of all that "waste paper". It surely is not for the benefit of the reader; that's not what these papers are about.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:21 am

That is an excuse at the defense. Not a great excuse, the candidate should have demonstrated command of the principles long before and the work will testify to his theoretical understandings, unless we are just wanting him to bow to Glorious Leader's portrait.

But in my eyes there is no excuse for that in a book based on the dissertation work made public.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:13 am

Look at where we came from. Our Creator created all of nature, then created us and placed us in charge of it all, naked in the middle of it, to enjoy and care for it. For there to be an internal need for that connection with natural things is no accident, and even a desire to return to the naked aspect of it should be no surprise. The Creator's master plan revealed in his book is to return as many as he can of us to the original state, back to that perfect tropical paradise where nothing will hurt or destroy and no death will ever happen again. But for each of us to qualify to be returned requires the elimination of evil from our own character. And so the plan of salvation was devised. Jesus came to implement it, promises to resurrect everyone who has died to give them their rewards, (both good and bad) and the final process we are still waiting on.

The delay seems to be waiting on us to get ready. Before long events are supposed to transpire that will force everyone alive into making their final decision who they are going to serve. Our Creator God has His stated law which he wrote on rock with his own finger, but the enemy has twisted things every which way and convinced most of the population they don't need to obey it strictly for one reason or another. In time things will come to a final showdown with those who insist on perfect obedience to that law being condemned to death. Many of them will be rounded up and killed in mass execution camps, (only to be resurrected shortly thereafter and taken to heaven) A remnant who have developed perfect representation of Christ in their characters will be preserved to be taken up without seeing death. And then things will round up with the final plagues on those who have rebelled against their Creator, and earth's history of evil be finished.

God promised to not do anything except he reveals it first through his prophets, he's been doing just that lately. But the enemy has most people so immersed in false theology and the pleasures and cares of this life they are not willing to take notice, or believe what is being described. For those few willing to believe there will be no surprises. Even that massive fake "second coming of Christ" event put on by the enemy won't trick them, even though it tricks most of the world into worshiping the evil one in disguise.

Anyone who really wants to be immersed in naked nature and have eternal life in paradise to enjoy it, get ready now. We have to put our faith in Jesus Christ fully, the only remedy provided for evil, and let him cleanse us of that evil in our hearts. He loves us greatly and has promised to do just that by the power of the Holy Ghost if we will but ask Him to. Ask every day for cleansing from sin, for guidance into all truth, not just once and think it will do for a lifetime. That's one of satan's lies to lull people into false security thinking they are safe while they fail to really follow Jesus Christ in heart and life. The angel talking to Ernie said "it's a daily walk" emphasizing the necessity of being connected with God by devotion every day in order to be safe. What is being described is absolutely thrilling and amazing, far greater things await us than we can wrap our mind around if we'll just get serious and get ready. Evil eliminated. This world eventually recreated, far bigger than it is now, to be inherited by those who are rescued from sin. To be able to travel the universe freely, visiting countless inhabited worlds out there, a different aspect of creation on every one, with an endless eternity to look forward to, to enjoy it all.

Jesus told us through John "He that overcometh shall inherit all things" That is massive beyond our wildest imagination. God plans to honor this little planet far greater than any other as compensation for the struggle and stress it's been through. Making it the largest inhabited planet in the universe, and headquarters of the universe with the holy city as it's capitol. Occupying about half the size of the USA, that is one massive city, but not a city like we know cities for sure. Full of natural things, tame gentle animals of all kinds roaming all over. The tree of life some 5 miles high with double trunks, straddling the river that flows from God's throne. And Jesus Christ as it's King. Lets not risk missing it for anything this world has to offer. Even our own pride is not worth a thing in view of what's waiting on us. It was personal pride that made a devil out of Lucifer the covering cherub. We need to take note and throw pride to the wind. There's more happiness in being humble than there ever was in maintaining pride of any kind. Just as Jesus humiliated himself from King of the universe to take the role of servant, and then criminal in our place. Ultimately to find extreme joy in rescuing us from evil to live with Him.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:23 am

Dave, you said it well.
Our "civilization" has worked hard to put us in environments devoid of plants, devoid of the irregular, stimulating panoramas of rocks, meandering streams, waterfalls in other places, shapes that are both predictable and random in trees and shrubs. Some architects finally began putting the shapes of nature back into design, but it is a drop in the bucket compared to what we lost when the bulk of humanity ceased living in God's world and moved to Babylon or cities inspired by it.

But the fragrance of the woods and meadows is harder to put in a bottle.

Our "civilization" has worked very hard to prevent humans from seeing themselves and others in their natural state, to require us to muffle or block out the tactile input of nature.

When we finally get a day off and go to the beach or spend a day on the lake, we can then finally bare much of our skin, but under penalty of law, we still must wear things that pinch and chafe parts of our body that desperately need fresh air and free range of motion.

God is NOT mocked. Our rejection of nature and our bodies is at our own peril, because it is a rejection of the Creator of all these things, and even condemns the physical manifestation of the Divine Image (recognizing that our living soul also is in His image). And living contrary to his wisdom and design, whether through ignorance or willful sin, the result is the same.

I applaud the effort to restore a semblance of Eden as we design our homes, outdoor space and return our bodies to the healing influence of sun, air and water.

But many forget that in the midst of Eden, the Holy One communed with Adam and Eve as they walked in Paradise.
A garden without God is not Paradise, a soul without God is incomplete and heading for destruction.

Biophilia and Gymnophilia cannot stand alone without Theophilia, the love of God.
And it goes without saying that YHWH is the one true God, nothing else and no one else is worthy of praise, prayer and worship.
Last edited by Ramblinman on Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:15 pm

Is there possibly a connection between lack of contact with the natural world and the fostering of environmental degradation that we have seen for centuries?
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby Petros » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 am

I don't know that it is that precisely. Consider the bag of the tent caterpillar. Horrible sight - though I was once made to look at tent caterpillars as God's creatures, a hard concept to get your mind around. Am eastern Mediterranean city is atop a tell - a hill in the plain which when cut into proves to be millennia of garbage.
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 am

Petros wrote:I don't know that it is that precisely. Consider the bag of the tent caterpillar. Horrible sight - though I was once made to look at tent caterpillars as God's creatures, a hard concept to get your mind around. Am eastern Mediterranean city is atop a tell - a hill in the plain which when cut into proves to be millennia of garbage.

Web tents are not things of outward beauty in the sense that flowers and butterflies are.
The beauty is in the protection it affords the caterpillar at a vulnerable stage in its life.
Would God have us learn a moral lesson from the protection of the tent in addition to the natural history it teaches?

The vast midden heaps we call "tells" must not be ascribed to God's creative hand. It is mankind's doing.
It is also not a thing of beauty, but can be useful to biblical archaeologists.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:36 pm

jochanaan wrote:Is there possibly a connection between lack of contact with the natural world and the fostering of environmental degradation that we have seen for centuries?

I think that the sensory deprivation of living in a large treeless city lowers one's experience and expectations.

But if such a person ever sees nature at her finest, it draws an instinctive reaction by most.

But fear of nature is arguably fear of the unknown and can only be overcome by guidance and experience.

I think nudity, as natural as it is to humanity, can also be feared, perceived as some horrible vulnerability, even in safe, warm settings.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Next

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism