What have you done "naturally" lately?

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Re: What have you done "naturally" lately?

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:56 pm

Well, I Just Got Back from a "Spring Thaw Walk"
So I suppose that you are wondering what a "Spring Thaw Walk" is and how it differs from any other sort of walk particularly other walks in the spring.

Let me Elaborate, I have been cooped up inside for several days by other activities and the weather outdoors not lending itself to naturist activities. And this afternoon around 2:00 I finished up in the basement after completing a weld repair job, and I observed that it was about 2:00 PM and the weather was up to 57 F (14 C) and I was getting a bit of cabin fever and needed to get outside and exercise. It was bright clear sunshine and the breeze was light and so I figured I could deal with the temperature adequately and woujld soon be in the woods and that would attenuate the breeze even more so that would be even better :D . My assessment of the weather proved to be adequate in all aspects that I had considered..........There was, however, one factor I had not taken into consideration :wink:

Things has been frozen for several days, but it was thawing and most of the ice was now off the pond and I went for a woods walk. The thing is, that the top of the ground was now thawed about an inch deep. This means that all the snowmelt and formerly frozen mud above the thaw depth was quite wet, and the footing was not all that good, but I had bare feet and that is better traction than many if not most shoe soles. But there is this little detail..... Our clay soil becomes a slick mud when the water is not draining away and the frozen clay under the first inch does not allow the water to leave and the top thawed inch does not even run down hill very much either as it is about the consistancy of tooth paste, It oozes nicely, up between the toes and is very slick so careful walking is required. It is not so much the slickness that is a problem, but that oozy clay comming up between the toes is in intimate contact with the ice in the frozen ground below the 1 inch depth. it's contact with the toes it is oozing up beteween between is quite intimate. This slick clay is a wonderful heat transfer medium so the feet and toes are exposed to freezing temperatures on the bottom and the sides, and where the excess ooze spreads out over the top of the foot and toes. So the feet and toes are greatly cooled. The fact that using the muscles of the legs and feet increases blood circulation is a saving grace to prevent the toes from freezing but one will certainly detect a bit of numbness and some encouragement to keep walking lest the cooling mud get the upper hand with respect to the heat transfer trends, (uhh, or would that be the upper foot? :? ?) An occasional hard shake of the foot is useful to shed the half inch (12mm) thick layer of ice cold mud accumulation off the toes and forward foot. Upon returning to the house I walked through the tilled up garden dirt and the grass of the law to clean off the bottoms of my feet on the way to the bathtub where I could rinse off my feet.

Even after having dealt with that issue, I still deem the hour long walk well worth the effort for its benefit in attitude adjustment let alone the good physical exercise.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 am

Bare_Truth, I can verify your description of the clay mud and can imagine how cold it must have felt on the bottom of and between the toes of your bare feet. I’m not sure I could bear the cold but I had no problem with the temperature in the 70s as I once again worked on my all over tan in the backyard this afternoon.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

This changeable weather.

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:21 pm

Well, we are about to start 30 continuous hours of freezing rain A bit ago they were saying that we were going to get 8 hours of sleet simultaneously in the middle of those 30 hours, but they have relented on the sleet but upped the freezing rain duration from the former 28 to the current 20 hours. but none of that has started quite yet. It has been overcast all day but it started out in the low 40's and warmed up to 56 a little after lunch time. There was no sunshine but there was also no wind worthy of mention either. Knowing that the weather was to get worse for a few days I decided to get in some more nude time when I could So off came the clothes, but this time I did put on some canvas shoes for a little more thermal protection from the ground. And besides my customary baseball cap I added a neck warmer for good measure, bout otherwise totally starkers. I found that I could have skipped the neck warmer and given that there was no wind that balanced out the lack of sunshine. And so it was that I got in a mile or more of woods walking over 1 to 1.5 hours. It was really quite nice.

Before lunch I got on a gardening kick and planned out what goes where in the garden comp planting which will start mid april and run through mid March. As that was indoor activity I did not need clothing for that either. When I got back from the woods walking, I decided that I had not had enough naturism for the day yet and still being on a gardening kick. I decided to get the tractor ready for the coming garden preparation by mounting the rotary tiller. It weighs about 600 lbs (273 Kg) and has to have the PTO drive shaft mounted as well. I have made mount and dismount fairly easy as the tractor shed has a concrete floor and I have made cradles on casters for my implements and I can just roll them up to the tractor to mount them. Even that 600 lb tiller is rather easy and I don't even have to start the tractor to manuver it or raise/lower the hitch in the mound/dismount process.

After "off with the grader blade" and "on with the tiller", I then got to thinking, "Well why wait? I can go ahead and till the garden now.", and while I was about to do that I walked around a bit to decide if I wanted to continue nude. and then made sort of compromise based on the temperature. I went and got my "shop coat", sort of a thin cotton robe like affair down to mid thigh but made of a tight weave materia about like a cotton work shirt. and that tight weave that would break the breeze if it sprang up. But I ended up just folding it up and putting it on the tractor seat because the vinyl is a bit cold on the tush, But I remained starkers. I tilled up the whole 900 sq ft (83.6 square meters) of the main garden and about half that much more on an auxilliary patch I am bringing under cultivation. I was perfectly comfortable the whole time. Then I came in the house and have remained wearing no more than a robe part time. I even went out to the garage and got a 20lb propane bottle (approx 15 Liters) and took it down to the basement to warm up a bit. If the ice build up tonight knocks out the power, a warmed up propane bottle will get the portable space heater lit up and up to heat a bit quicker as it will be easier to start up.

As nude days in February go, this has been a pretty good one! :wink: :wink: :wink:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:45 pm

It seems that last night's predicted ice storm really did not happen because when we got up this morning, other than a very thin film on the deck behind the house there had been no significant accumulation. But as the morning wore on, we started to get some. On and off there was a light mist falling which started to accumulate some ice, and then it switched modes and the ice seemed to simply condense on things directly out of the air. By noon it was getting well under way and the slight droop of the bamboo groves became substantial. The trees and power wires started to get some but the champion accumulator proved to be my bamboo, which retains its leaves until the spring growing season gets under way. The large surface area of the leaves seems to be an ideal collector. By noon the temperature was about 20F (-7C) and the bamboo groves were starting to sag and had now bent down by several feet.

Just to make sure that no problems were developing I slipped out for a brief, very brief inspection. But as the ice was making things take on a "winter-wonderland" look I set the camera to time lapse to make a record.
Inspecting_Grove.JPG
That is my large grove behind the house, and that is not snow on the ground, it is ice on the grass, and it made for tricky footing.
Click image for larger view with better resolution.

On the west side the ground falls away steeply in places and as I said the ice on the grass was making the footing a bit tricky. So that may explain my odd stance as the grass and even the clay was substantially iced so I had to work to maintain adequate footing.
Ice-Bamboo_Tunnel.JPG
This is the west side of the Grove and you can see that as the bamboo along the sides arches under the weight of the ice it forms tunnels on each side.

For a few minutes a slight breeze arose, and I was able to put the ice tunnel under the arching bamboo to good use. Not that the breeze was all that significant but at the temperature at the time a little extra shielding was welcome.
Sheltering_in_Tunnel.JPG
This is the east side of the grove, toward's the house and the tunnel was useful due to the momentary breeze that had come up. But the breeze abated rather than building up, which was a good thing because when the branches become ice-laden, the tree can be damaged

For what should be obvious reasons, this outdoor examination was merely a brief sortee and as I write this up it appears that the ice build-up is continuing apace. If it gets to be too much I may have to spend part of the day with the chain-saw clearing fallen branches or trees, but that will be done in textile mode. Fortunately the bamboo is so flexible that the ice can mash it down to about 4 feet and it will pop right back up as if nothing at all had happened, ...... The trees not so much :shock: It was fun and refreshing getting out but that sort of refreshing needs to be taken in moderation, especially when the breeze picks up. :wink:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:30 pm

As spring approaches I am beginning to push the season a bit, and I have found that I can now find conditions quite enjoyable if the temperature is up to 55 to 60 F (13-16C) with little or no wind and preferably sunny (but light overcast will do). We have been having much rain the last few days and just a few days ago, despite my landscaping to avoid erosion, my garden still has an ability to erode during heavy rains, and so it was that there was an erosion incident, but luckily nothing was yet planted there. Having had significant erosion loss last year, the present rains inspired me to action. The temperature was within the minimum acceptable range, the breeze was light and the overcast was not much, so before anything worse should happen I got right to the erosion issue, Nude, of course :D .

Above my garden there is a grassy field. I had previously established swales across the field. The swales follow the contour lines going directly across the slope and wind their way across so that runoff water fills the swale to the same depth along its length. The swale is simply a ditch with all the dirt thrown up on the down hill side to form a berm. This system keeps rainwater on the slope and thereby increases its growing capacity because of the retained water.

But the catch in my case is that there is pathway right up the middle of the slope and rains at the forested zone at the top of the slope can still run down there and additionally some water will find its way out from either side of the pathway and add to the run off as well. The swales may become full and overflow if we have a deluge which seems to happen once or twice a spring, and that is yet another contributor. As plantinting time is near I moved to create a permanent fix immediately, and the weather being marginally suitable I decided to do it nude (except for a pair of canvas shoes to keep my feet from getting pinched in the tractor's foot pedals).

The following picture should help the reader get the sense of the project and its scale.
Swale_Mondification-3s.jpg
The project with annotation

-- The garden corners are at the white posts seen to the viewer's right
-- The two ends of the red line are near where the the lowest swale on the slope ended and the loop shows where the modification had to be placed to capture where the flow was coming down the center path in the field.
-- The large hickory tree was what had disrupted where the end of the swale was and the water flow was slipping past the end of the swale
-- The red loop marks where the soil was ditched out to redirect the run off into the swale. it is a little hard to percieve the depth of the ditch marked by the red line but it is about a food deep everywhere and where it crosses the path it had to be blended into the existing contour so that it would be possible to drive loads up the path without serious disruption. A very coarse rock fill may be later required to keep the intersection of the ditch and the path from turning into a morass but with any luck it can be stabilized as a "sodded waterway".
-- The winding green arrow illustrates why this was all necessary.

I was able to do 90 % of the work in just one afternoon, and being that I was able to do it all nude, it was most enjoyable. The leval of activity was all that was needed to keep me warm despite a light breeze and temperatures in the mid 50's, I even sweated slightly.

The explanation of how I got that much work done in so little time, is illustrated in the next image.
Tractor Implements.JPG
Tractor with 2 implements

I did use my 4 foot wide (1.2 m) tractor mounted rotary tiller to loosen up the soil surface so that it could more readily be moved by the grader blade, but most of the skilled work was done by the grader blade, getting it to move the soil around and make the ditch deeper on the up hill side and push the soil into a low berm on the downhill side. Where the ditch needed to be deepest is where the subsoil plow (shown still mounted on the tractor) came in handy. Full disclosure requires me to give credit to the rear tires and the weight of the tractor which did a good job of packing the moist soil :wink: .
The next day I went out (nude once again) and did a little tweeking on the earth work.

I did have one special issue. Here in Missouri, on the Ozark Plateau,our clay soil is chock full of rocks, and they are held solidly by the packed clay around them. The bottom of the ditch had a stubborn boulder imbedded in it. For that one, digging it out would have been arduous and hard on the back, and even if I dug all around it it would still have to be lifted out of the hole it was in. So again the subsoil plow came in handy to make passes on multiple sides to break it loose and then get under it and roll it out of the hole it was in. Then I could get a chain on it and drag it out of the way. I was not about to risk my 72.5 year old back for that task. The results are shown in the next image.
Boulder.JPG
I threw my size 11 canvas shoes in for a size reference, they measure 12 inches long (30.48 cm)

I suspect that this work will suitably direct the erosion water into the swale, but there is a possibility that I will have to make a further modification at the far end of the swale to deal with any overflow.

Not a bad way to spend some spring weather nude while improving the landscape.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby New_Adventurer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:38 am

Jackhammer for rent?
New_Adventurer
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:18 pm

Absolutly nothing. It just isnt natural to drive a truck from city to city, totin around poluting fuel burners with a big fuel burner. The only hint of natural i can find is drivin naked from time to time, but that dont help much. I will take the day off saturday, see if i can find a place to freehike for an afternoon again. I will be in texas, 70s for temp and partly cloudy predicted. Might even have some time sunday to blow. Since most of my load has to wait for monday delivery at Dallas. Im headed home though. Hopefully to stay and start dirt work. Then my life can return to naturally normal.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:28 pm

Nothing today due to chilly temps, winds, and even light rain. However, yesterday with warm temps, some wind, and sunny skies I spent nearly two hours working on my no-lines tan.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Englishman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:57 am

Oddly enough, the ironing. Doesn't sound that special really, does it? Still, it's a start! :D :D
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby natman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:15 am

Englishman wrote:Oddly enough, the ironing. Doesn't sound that special really, does it? Still, it's a start! :D :D

Seems ironic.

But I can relate. My wife is a seamstress. :?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Maverick » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Since starting a job, I've begun every morning with a light "workout" to get the blood flowing, which I do nude in my bedroom. Haven't had as much nude time as I'd like, but after wearing work clothes for the majority of the day, the second best thing is freeballing. I've found that I can tolerate wearing clothes when I must, but underwear is growing more and more intolerable for me.
In nuditate veritas.
Maverick
Native Resident

Postby Englishman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:59 am

Nat, that is a truly dreadful pun; worthy of an Englishman, congratulations. How wrong can one be, I was always told Americans didn't get or do irony!

Just to stay on topic, I'm naturally responding to your grin inducing comment! :)
Englishman
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:33 pm

Englishman wrote:Nat, that is a truly dreadful pun; worthy of an Englishman, congratulations.......

Ah yes, one day I informed one of my classes that the reason I became a College Professor was in order to have a captive audience for my bad Puns! Not a soul in the class argued against that. :duh:
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby RMOlson » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Breakfast and I do my physical training nude everyday ( today was a cardio day). Plus today it was warm enough I got about 40 minutes in the sun on our deck.
RMOlson
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:11 pm

Had as much fun as a bucket of rocks..... Well more like 4 buckets of rocks. Over the last two days, I got around to cleaning up the area between the garden and the house. There was an irregular shaped section about 150 x 30 feet that was growing all manner of coarse tall weeds. I have planted a weeping willow in the middle of it and to deal with all the weeds coming up in it I thought I would plant it to my new favorite grass "Falcon IV Turf Fescue" It only grows about 7 inches tall even if you do not mow it, and the tall weeds with a lot of tall fescue in it the last time we had a fire around here had flames 20 feet tall, and I sort of would like to have a less combustable ground cover between the house and the woods. So the first task done Thursday was to till it under, but there being in the past many rocks in it I decided to first rip it up with the subsoil plow to loosen up any rocks and make it less wear and tear on the tiller. That was a good choice because I found a bunch.

After subsoiling I had at it with the tiller (about 4 feet wide and powered by my Ford 1510 22hp diesel tractor). Expecting more rocks because there were the last time and this is Missouri, I was not surprised except the tiller found a rock to throw out the back that was bigger than my head and a third my body weight. I am glad I loosened it with the subsoiler. This part of the story is included because since the sky had cleared and the sun was warm, I did the entire job nude except for some canvas shoes to keep from pinching any part of my foot between the pedals.

Then today I cam back to the job again to pick rocks. Just one corner of the area had turned up an exhorbitant number of rocks. If I had the money to blow on it, I suppose I should be using a rock rake for this sort of thing. But it being only about 800 square feet I figured to do that naked too. However since I had tilled up a whole bunch of thorny brambles with the tiller I made the concession to the canvas shoes again as I did not want thorns in my feet.
Rock_Picking_Frames_1-4-s.JPG
Left Click image for better view

In Frame #1 it looks like I am just raking the rocks, but that is not so. raking drags too much dirt and plant trash.

Frame #2 shows the technique. The tool is a 4 claw cultivating tool. It will take out rocks if the soil is not hard, but i had alread tended to that. The tines are long enough to gook behind the rock as shown and a sharp tug on the handle will send the rock flying to land 10 to 30 feet behind the user, and probably more on the long shots if the rock is shaped well for rolling. This being a small job I merely walked in a circle of about 10 foot radius flinging the rocks to the center, and then followed with about two more circles one inside the other and with lesser pull on the handle so as to get them to pile up in the center.

Frame 3 shows The fruits of that technique.

Frame 4 shows the transition technique from gathering to moving. With the rocks from an area in a compact pile. One bucket is used for a seat. That was a key point. Walking around and bending to pick up the rocks and put them in a bucket will work but is innefficient and hard on the back. Sitting next to the pile and using the culvator to pull in the ones that are a bit of a reach. The rocks are picked up and put into two buckets, small in one bucket and large in the other. Two hand size rocks are simply picked up and carried to the pile separately.

Rock_Picking_Frames_5-8s.JPG

Frame 5 shows the results of sorting into 2 buckets which I will explain more below and Frame 6 shows the mode of transport. A key to efficiency is the use of buckets If they are all going to the same place then they can just be dumped. But about 5 gallons of rock is about all that is handy to move that way and 10 gallons is about all that is not too difficult to roll across the ground. However notice that bungies are used to secure the buckets because uneven ground could shake off a bucket and dump it and picking up the rocks once was quite enough!

Frames 7 and 8 go together as a unit as well. Building a good rock pile that makes the rocks available for use later, but the different sizes have different uses. so keeping the rocks sorted is advisable and easy. I usually lay down a ring of larger rocks, as it tends to keep the pile together and compact and not spread all over. If I have a whole lot of rocks I will make two piles, but if the rock pile is of moderate size it can all be made as one pile, by simply dumping the big rocks on one side and the small ones on the other side. If you examine the images you will see that the larger rocks are on the viewer's left and the smaller rock to the viewer,s right. It should be noted that the rocks dump out differently, as the big rock are more prone to roll off the pile and the smaller rocks slump to a lower angle. Placing a ring of rocks first tends to help with stopping the rolling rocks.

For instance the smaller size are quite suitable if you have a gravel road or driveway, they lend themselves to filling in those holes that have developed or those soft wet spots that keep swallowing gravel every time it rains. The bigger rocks are not so nice to drive on, but they do have their uses. Around here one often sees them in use for "end posts" or "gate posts". The technique involves taking some mesh type fenceing and forming it into a cylinder and filling it up with rocks. Made about 3 or more feet in diameter and about 4 feet deep. They make for a mass of rock that is just too heavy to move. And believe me digging a post hole deep enough for a regular end post can prove difficult in rocky soil. So getting rid of rocks by using them so you don't have to dig a hole is a good move, but research the technique. Your extension agent probably has a flyer on how to best do it.

In my opinion the smaller rocks are likely to find more varieies of uses. One that I have found to good effect is the use of the smaller rock sizes in landscaping around buildings.
Rock_Around_Shed_s.jpg
This is an installation that I completed making a French drain system from rock gathered when we did that project.

When we repurposed the car port to be a tractor and implement shed, we did not want it in a muddy location but we wanted it well out of view. So behind the house was a good location but it was not a totally level location. To take advantage of the good drainage the location, the site for the concrete slab was deliberately graded to a slope 1/4 inch per foot in the direction of the original slope. and the surface of the slab was given the same slope to assure uniform thickness. But this means that the runoff water would approach the up hill end of the shed, as the ground beyond was higher. A broad flat swale was graded just up hill of the slab so that gross run off during a downpour would be directed away to one side. This also allowed the shed to present a solid wall against the prevailing wind. Then a trench was dug along the uphill edge of the slab and the trench was lined with landscapers cloth. The trench was then filled with the small size of rock (it is about the size of rail road balast rock). this way the tractor can be driven in that end without collapsing the trench. Likewise along the sides of the slab similar trenches were dug and likewise lined and rock filled. The landscaper's cloth keeps the rocks from grinding into and mixing with the clay soil, and the 3 trenches direct any water aroiund the sides of the slab and as that ground is sloping down toward the front of the shed even a bit faster than 1/4 inch per foot these "french drains" run out of the ground and divert their water into the natural surface drainage of the land. The landscaper's cloth is made with synthetic fiber that shold persist for decades and can be used for a trench liner and the rock left open on top or for covered french drains with or without the inclusion of a tile.

Well OK then, that is what has kept me busy while nude the last two days.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

PreviousNext

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism