What if God gave the order as He did Isaiah

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

What if God gave the order as He did Isaiah

Postby MoNatureMan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:46 am

What would happen if God told a man, or woman, or couple, or even a pastor, to go 'naked and barefoot' as He did Isaiah in chapter 20?
Of course you would have to really believe that it was The Lord speaking to you.
Almost all of the religious community would bring forth condemnation.
Unemployment would follow.
Most textile friends would disappear.
That person(s) would probably be arrested for indecent exposure.
In the US, the Constitution would be ignored, as the government defines what religious freedom is.

All of that considered, if a person heard the voice of God (as I did one time in my life), how can any true Christian ignore the specific word/call?

If this did happen it would probably be prophetic. A specific Word from God to go naked and barefoot, would probably be part of a verbal message being preached (possibly - repent - your nation has been judged and found to be naked {spiritually}).

No I have not received a call to do this, and this is not intended to be prophectic. But what if... :?: :?: :?:
Ron :cross:
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Re: What if God gave the order as He did Isaiah

Postby jochanaan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:15 pm

It would certainly test the "free exercise" clause in our Constitution's First Amendment! :shock:
You can live your life in fear--or you can live your life.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby nakedpreacher » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:25 pm

You could bring up the fact that this is not without historical precedent in church history. It is said that St Francis stripped off all his clothes in the middle of Mass, renouncing his family's fortune, and walked out of the church completely nude. I also remember something about some young women in the Quaker fellowship who protested nude in church but I don't remember what they were protesting. It is a legitimate religious expression although one that would obviously cause much consternation, However I believe that the case could be made, not that I will be the one making it any time soon. I believe that I have told the story, but I once dreamed that, while preaching, I realized that I was completely nude. I explained that we are a casual church and went on. My only concern in my dream was that I would offend someone in the congregation. My Guess is that in reality it would offend not just someone but a lot of someones.
Naked Preacher.
If, when we judged others, our real motive was to destroy evil; we should look for evil where it is certain to be found, and that is in our own hearts. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
nakedpreacher
Native Resident

Postby natman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:15 am

We were having a similar discussion yesterday, about God's command to Abraham to sacrifice Issac, his beloved son.

If we heard a command from God and KNEW it was from God, regardless of what it was, I would hope that we would be obedient.

The important thing is to KNOW the source of the command and to determine that it is from God and not from the Evil One, masquerading as God. I think that comes from being like a sheep in the care of the Good Shepherd, such that we have a good enough relationship with Him that we know His voice.

I believe that if God is calling us to do something, then He will provide for our needs and the circumstances to get it done.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby jochanaan » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:51 pm

jochanaan
Councillor

Postby MoNatureMan » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:51 pm

Interesting ref.had never heard of them.
Arson and nude protest is a weird combination. I guess that way their clothes wouldn't catch fire.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:04 pm

MoNatureMan wrote:What would happen if God told a man, or woman, or couple, or even a pastor, to go 'naked and barefoot' as He did Isaiah in chapter 20?
Of course you would have to really believe that it was The Lord speaking to you.
Almost all of the religious community would bring forth condemnation.
Unemployment would follow.
Most textile friends would disappear.
That person(s) would probably be arrested for indecent exposure.
In the US, the Constitution would be ignored, as the government defines what religious freedom is.

All of that considered, if a person heard the voice of God (as I did one time in my life), how can any true Christian ignore the specific word/call?

If this did happen it would probably be prophetic. A specific Word from God to go naked and barefoot, would probably be part of a verbal message being preached (possibly - repent - your nation has been judged and found to be naked {spiritually}).

No I have not received a call to do this, and this is not intended to be prophectic. But what if... :?: :?: :?:
Ron :cross:

Isaiah's nudity was in the context of a culture in which nudity was not sexual.
In most situations it would have been Indicative of shameful poverty or slavery.
But that is not to say that God would call a halt to present-day nudity because of our own culture's sexual preconceptions about nudity.

On a different topic...
As for comfort, the Bible does not say that Isaiah was perpetually nude outdoors without benefit of fire regardless of winter chill,
nor did it say that God did not allow him a blanket to sleep under after dark (when no one was there to see anyway).
And if Isaiah were starting to get sunburned, I do not know if he used mud or ashes to cover his shoulders or other tender bits, but it does not seem to have been forbidden.
I imagine that was occasionally physically uncomfortable, but Isaiah did survive the three years of nudity! :biggrin:
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby MoNatureMan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:58 pm

As to comfort. Maybe.
But an all powerful God, having given the order could also have given supernatural protection for the body.

Ron
MoNatureMan
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:15 pm

MoNatureMan wrote:As to comfort. Maybe.
But an all powerful God, having given the order could also have given supernatural protection for the body.

Ron

God generally does not dole out miracles when natural means are within our grasp.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby jochanaan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:42 pm

Ramblinman wrote:

Ron

God generally does not dole out miracles when natural means are within our grasp.
And Isaiah was a Semite (no pale faced European) and probably spent more time in the sun, even nude, than we do. Little real sunburn danger.
jochanaan
Councillor

Postby DaveT » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:17 pm

Everyone who receives Christ needs to walk with Him so close that when God speaks we know it and will respond appropriately. God speaks to us mostly through His written word, but occasionally direct. I have heard Him, and know many who have. The couple times I heard Him were loud and clear, I had not the slightest doubt who was talking to me, a voice in my mind. I've heard some talk of it who almost thought it was audible it seemed so loud. One was a man we knew, many years ago riding a motorcycle on a curvy mountain road. The voice said in a commanding tone "pull off the road" he did so, and momentarily two sportscars came around the next corner taking up the whole road, road roulette, teens racing each other.

I know that He will at some time ask certain people to work for him naked, ministering to naked people. It's one of those little things that is very hard for most Christians to accept, but I've told my Lord to use me to the very maximum that is possible. And with my increased understanding of naturism coming not long before the word came to me that such ministry would be needed. It made me wonder if my Lord is preparing me to be one of those who are given such a job. I would be happy to do anything needed. Especially when such ministry is to encourage and strengthen God's suffering servants, as well as help bring a few more into the ranks of the saved. Won't know till it happens.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:51 pm

jochanaan wrote:
Ramblinman wrote:

Ron

And Isaiah was a Semite (no pale faced European) and probably spent more time in the sun, even nude, than we do. Little real sunburn danger.

Point taken! But sunburn can happen to the blackest of us. It can easily be prevented by applying ashes to one's skin, which is consistent with mourning.

Norwegian

Israeli singer Ofra Haza
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:20 pm

I am told redheaded Goidelic types burn worse than seemingly paler Teutons.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Postby Ramblinman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:40 pm

Petros wrote:I am told redheaded Goidelic types burn worse than seemingly paler Teutons.
Petros wrote:I am told redheaded Goidelic types burn worse than seemingly paler Teutons.

The scientist in me says that we should recruit volunteers to test this proposition, but no! I won't.

The US state of Georgia, give or take a bit is roughly the same latitude as Israel, but is a bit more humid and the clouds and moisture protect against the sun,
but the skies of central Florida, being even more humid, but a bit closer to the equator would offer comparable UV rays to the Holy Land. (rough estimate on my part)
I possess type III skin and need to be extremely cautious on Florida beaches in the summer months.

However, covered with ashes, particularly on shoulders and back, I could probably get away with a good bit of nude protesting.
Now there's nothing to say that Isaiah didn't take a midday siesta under a terebinth tree and return to his shocking nude walks when the sun was a bit milder.

But we have a good working model of what Isaiah's live would be like in the case of an Indian farmer allergic to clothes who lives in perpetual nudity.
Ramblinman
Native Resident

Postby Petros » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:57 pm

It is anecdotal, but many long centuries of British anecdote. Fair skinned red Scots and Irish notoriously burn a bit before AngloSaxonNordic bold Brits. Wee Coryl's papa was a ginger Scot and burned almost immediately.

I am not convinced a controlled double blind experiment is possible, and statistics is just shorthand for a millenium of observation.
The truth, the stark naked truth, the truth without so much as a loincloth on, should surely be the investigator's sole aim - Basil Chamberlain
Petros
Native Resident

Next

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism