Practical Naturist Living Illustrated.

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

Practical Naturist Living Illustrated.

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun May 08, 2016 7:57 pm

INTRODUCTORY POST

-- A good picture is worth a thousand words
-- NC has a very successful thread about "what have you done naked today" but I think that something better than that might be done.
-- What I propose for this strip is two classes of posts. The first class is to be a post with illustrations, Photos, drawings, relevant cartoons (apreferably by the poster) graphs if they are relevant to naturism, etc.. The second class is to be commantary relevant to any of the first class of posts.

I believe that the primary mind set about naturism is that it is some sort of occasional recreational thing. But "Naturist Living" can encompass many more aspects of life than that, and graphic representation of that and examples can carry considerable value. So I propose that this strip ought to reflect that, and maybe even educate about that. Too much recreation becomes frivolous, but practical appllication of naturism to a broader range of activities is exactly that! Practical!. I suppose that many of us know that but to show it and emphasize the practicality of it is what propose this strip should be about. It may take a bit of work to properly conceptualize it and a group effort for that is entirely appropriate.

One draw back is that images can take up a lot of storage space which is why there is a 256 K limit on image size. plus a 3 image limit per post. Many images can be much smaller than that limit. For those who are making such posts I suggest using .JPG format with a quality factor in the range of 50 to 80. As some of you know I have mentioned taking pictures at high pixel count and then cropping them to the relevant portions and then saving at a lower quality factor in JPG as it reduces the file size drastically. If multiple pictures are needed to make a point or follow a story line then making the multiple images into frames of a single picture file can suffice to tell the story while keeping the storage size down. Some of this requires learning how to use at least the simpler tools of a photo editor and as I have noted before GIMP is free and as powerful as if not more so than Photoshop. So after this introduction I will post an example of what I mean.
Last edited by Bare_Truth on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Re: Practical Naturist Living Illustrated.

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun May 08, 2016 8:55 pm

World Naked Gardening Day slipped past me but the opportunity for nude spring gardening has not. Each fall I till under the garden sometime after the frost has killed it all, and I may add various amendments (e.g. fall Liming in anticipating of the next spring) But rather than leave the garden vulnerable to erosion I plant a cover crop. Winter wheat has proven to be practical because it will sprout in the fall grow some in the winter and really take off in the spring. And it holds the soil very well. In the spring it can be tilled under as a "green manuer" crop to add humus to the soil and if done before the seed becomes viable it will not add to the weed burden. However if one is using hand tillage the work may be easier if the soil was leveled in the fall and the cover crop is cut with a mower to chop it a bit finer before tilling it in.

I have an additional problem with my clay soil as it readily forms a hard pan and it has quite a few rocks. I deal with this by using a subsoil plow with my small tractor as the implement dislodgesrocks and breaks any formative hard pan and both those are good as a preliminary to tilling. My tilling is by a rotary tiller but that is not the only option.

So it was that today I did the subsoil plowing (please note that it does not invert the soil and so avoids the negatives of doing so.)
the wheat went through the winter only 3 or 4 inches high but come spring with its roots already established it took off far faster than any weeds could.
Before+After_Subsoil_Plowing.JPG
Garden Cover crop Seeded last fall, and Subsoil Plowed This Spring (Click For Larger View)

This next picture was explicitly staged to show how deep the subsoil plow runs. It was not entirely successful because when I raised the plow for comparison purposes it sort of brought the earth up with it so if you do the math on the yard stick readings you might want to ad 2 to 4 inches. to the plow depth number. The left side shows the height of the frame with the plow all the way down and the right side shows the height of the frame when the "foot" of the plow has been raised to the maximum.

up+dn.JPG
Plow cutting deep and then lifted. It was probably cutting more like 14 to 16 inches. When raised it normally clears the ground by several inches but here it has raised up the ground and left a void somewhere below, (which it is supposed to do).

Ok, so that is gardening, but what is naturist about that ???
Well, this is ! :
Subsoil_Plowing.JPG
Shoes may be a necessity for the steel pedals but otherwise it is clothing optional

In the left frame I am making a series of passes with the plow. First I make one pass every 4 feet. This is easy to regulate because the track width of the rear tires happens to be 4 feet. So all I have to do is make each subsequent pass with one tire in the last tire track I made. Then I go back and make another set of passes half way between the last set. This is also easily regulated because now the tires are running in the previous plow grooves. Oddly this gives me more traction as the tires settle down in the plow grooves and the tire lugs get a grip along both sides of the tire. and the tractor settles in giving a few more inches of depth for the plow. The second frame of the picture shows me standing to get a better view as I align the next pass of the plow according to the previous tracks. Then, for the sake of thoroughness, I go back and to the same thing at 90 degrees to the first plowing.

But enough of the gardening technology already. My point in this step is that the work can be done starkers. Most any tractor work can, short of perhaps driving through a developed patch of thorny brambles or wild rose bushes. In the warm weather of spring it is so much more comfortable to do work like this nude, and you get more time in the sun to make all that wonderful Vitamin D. Of course I would not recommend doing too much of this if you have not previously developed a good bit of your tan for the year. I have been taking hour long nude walks every few days for the last two months, but still the floppy, beat-up straw hat is necessary to protect the tips of my ears.
Last edited by Bare_Truth on Sun May 08, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun May 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Ok then you now have an explanation of what my concept of this strip is in terms of the first class of posts, now all we need is some comments on post number 2 or some more like post number 2 complete with pictures and maybe some comments on that one. The idea here is to showcase naturism as a way of living and being and not a recreation with a bit of emphasis on the word SHOW!
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Tue May 10, 2016 10:24 pm

I'm not up on photo manipulating, don't even take photos. Although I wonder if I should try to get into it. But practical work naked is my main thing, while recreation is a minor element. Been doing tractor work naked for many years. And timber cutting as well. I plan on doing lots of firewood processing and gardening/farming, Other than winter heat the bulk of the firewood will go for biochar to improve soil. An occasional hike in the woods is the recreation side, might even find someone to hike with this summer, it's pending arrangement.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Tue May 10, 2016 11:41 pm

DaveT wrote:I'm not up on photo manipulating, don't even take photos. Although I wonder if I should try to get into it. But practical work naked is my main thing, while recreation is a minor element. Been doing tractor work naked for many years. And timber cutting as well. I plan on doing lots of firewood processing and gardening/farming, Other than winter heat the bulk of the firewood will go for biochar to improve soil. An occasional hike in the woods is the recreation side, might even find someone to hike with this summer, it's pending arrangement.

Well the term "photo manipulating" seems like putting a moustache on someone who does not have one. and "photo editing" is stuff like cropping and resizing and the like. But it is I suppose really a spectrum because what if you change the brightness and contrast on an image that was poorly exposed so that what is really in the picture can be seen, or add annotating text and arrows to an image so that more people can understand it easily. However making a montage in which there are multiple frames is pretty much just editing. And it provides a way to get the whole sense of what was photographed into a "single compact file size" for inclusion where file size or number of pictures per post is an issue.

As far as doing farm or field or forest work while naked on a tractor. That is the kind of thing I had in mind. Sort of a "what did you do naked today" concept but with illustration. Of course if you work mostly solo like I do it sort of requires a time lapse capability or movie capability from which stills are taken or maybe even a "game camera". Well it does take a bit of time to just crop and assemble multiple units into a montage, but I don't really expect that everyone here can or cares to do that. But if a few of us do, then the insights and comments offered by the others can make a reasonable entertaining enjoyable and informative strip out of this.

I do not know how well the idea will fly but without trying we would never know. I have a few ideas for where I can capture images for this but I would hope that others would give it a try now and then too. Showing that nudity is practical for things other than recreation is the core idea. I think it makes naturist living a more practical possibility for others.

In your case the tools and techniques by which you make and employ biochar would be more understandable if illustrated so that the explanation is easier to grasp. In your case for instance the steps in extricating a lodged tree from its neighbors could prove useful to others while at the same time showing the practicality of how you do your forest work.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Wed May 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Most of the time when I have made montages of practical naturist living activities, I have posted something that is probably a bit toward the masculine side, doing outdoor heavy labor, and often with machinery. I am however more multifaceted than that. On the domestic side, when I retired and I rejoiced at no longer having to get up each morning and go off to the office on campus, (a mere 4 blocks away). However my wife spoke up and said that as part of her retirement, she wanted freedom from having to prepare breakfast every morning to send me off. She really does not eat breakfast and is not particularly hungry upon rising anyway. Well fair enough, if I get to retire so does she. And accordingly I became the "breakfast chef". I was not utterly bereft of cooking skills, and we agreed that if I cooked breakfast I would not have to eat it alone and so she joins me for a cup of coffee. She snacks a bit later. While I am fixing breakfast she feeds the myriad of birds who await her ministrations every morning and also feeds our cats, and our "breakfast cats" as we call the visiting cats from around the neighborhood, who come over for a free meal.

I have a list posted on the side of the refrigerator of things I like to fix for breakfast because I am sort of groggy at 5:30 to 7:00 AM and it keeps me from getting in a rut. One of the items on the list is breakfast hash Which is slightly more complex in the number of ingredients that go into it, but it really is quite simple. So for this strip, I set up the camera on time lapse at 1 minute intervals and made breakfast and later boiled down the slew of images to a minimum of pictures which would illustrate the narrative.

For those who are vegetarian, the beef if only a small ingredient and may be left out and I have made it that way for my vegetarian guests quite successfully which was particularly easy because the beef usually goes in last.

The primary work is involved in dicing finely everything that goes into the hash. Most is diced down to the size of about 3/16 to 1/4 inch cubes. (5-6 mm). The choice of vegetables is basically whatever is in the refrigerator or pantry that can be stir fried. Typically for us this means.
9 cloves of garlic (that is cloves not bulbs) (minced very fine) (do these first they take a little time to get the husks off and mince)
1 large onion
1 medium small potato, skin on if you like it that way (I do :) )
1/4 to 1/2 small zuchini
1/4/1/2 small to medium yellow summer squash
Chunk of Sweet potato about equivalent to the amount of potato
About 1/8 of a green bell pepper
About 1/8 of a red bell pepper
And just about any other vegetable you have on hand.
Small amount of beef also diced small if making a non vegetarian version.
--- If the beef is raw, dice it and stir fry it a bit, and put it in first.
--- if the beef is cooked dice it and throw it in after the vegetables are mostly done.
--- if the beef is tough, dice it small making sure that you cut across the grain of the meat.
Vegetable oil just enough to run across the bottom of the skillet as you tip it side to side to coat the skillet.
Breakfast_Preparation.JPG
Vegetable Hash with Beef Anyone?
Click on image to get a large enough view to read the annotations.

The first frame of the picture denotes that the real work (what little there actually is) is in the dicing. One of those cutting sheets is the way to go here as it makes dumping the diced ingredients into the skillet easy. A chef's knife is the tool of choice for the dicing, and it is also good for crushing the garlic with the flat side. but the curve to the cutting edge really facilitates a rocking motion to cut all the way through anything that is a bit tough.

The second frame shows the pile of diced veggies in a size suitable for a hearty man sized breakfast with enough left over for my wife to nibble on later as is her custom. A 9 inch pre-heated iron skillet is about right for the task and the amount shown.

The third frame of course can be fitted in at any convenient point in the breakfast preparation scheme. Call me a "coffee snob" if you like, but I do like fresh ground coffees and keep several varieties on hand. A small aside here, a close look will show that there is an electric kettle just to the left of the range, visible in other frames. This came from England and I wired in a British 240 volt outlet just for it. At 240 volts and 3000 watts it is 2/3 as powerful as my 50 gallon hot water heater for the whole house. At just 2 liter capacity it gets the job done quite promptly, unlike those 110 volt wussy ones we have here in the U.S.. My coffee mill is a burr type mill and not one of those stupid mini blenders that makes a mixture of chunks and dust. OK maybe I am a coffee snob but I like it done right and with several varieties of beans on hand I rotate the varieties.

I included the 4th frame so I would have an excuse to put the caption in to make an important point about the cooking technique! The oil in the pan should be heated to the point of starting to smoke or just a bit cooler so that the vegetables can be seared as they are dumped in the skillet and stirred about. (same for raw beef). However, for the vegetables it is important to put a lid on the skillet very soon to trap the heat so the the entire mass of vegetables cooks properly and evenly. They should be cooked to the point that the potatoes are starting to show a bit of transparency and the onions very definitely so. Since these are the indicators it is important to dice all the veggies, and add all of them to the pan at the same time. It is also best to add whatever salt you want at that time. (I recommend at least some) right after the vegetables to take advantage of the stirring to distribute it thoroughly. But the lid is a necessity to assure that everything in the pan is properly heated evenly.

Finally the 5th frame shows the result. You will notice that I add a tracing of ketchup to the top as it adds color and it is the only seasoning other than salt that I usually use. However adding your favorite spices and seasonings should work very well.

The only adaptation to make this a practical nudity activity is that I recommend adding the veggies to the hot oil at arms length. Scraping them off the end of the cutting sheet with the back edge of the chef's knife works well. There tends to be a bit of spatter as the juicy veggies hit the hot oil.

The recipe is a great way to deal with that steak that turned out be be a bit tough or the roast that had a bit much gristle to trim out, but in those cases cutting across the grain of the meat is all the more desirable and highly effective.

Bon - Apatite, and keep on living Nude!
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Thu May 12, 2016 12:39 am

My photo terminology is faulty. I was thinking just resizing and cropping, storing in a locked file, (don't need someone finding them who does not, or will not understand that just working naked is innocent) and then getting them onto the internet, also in a private manner.

I do lots of things, and whenever it's being done in privacy, out of sight of roads and neighbors, it's done in the most comfortable fashion, whether that means clothing or not, usually not when the temperature is 60's or better. I've dealt with some really tricky hangups when dropping trees. That's a matter of judgement based on experience and common sense. Looking each situation over and making moves (cuts) only when it's safe. Like playing pickup sticks with logs that weigh a ton or two or more. Kind of hard to share that kind of wisdom, been at it 30 years without incident. Being able to see what can happen and making them go where I want them is an acquired skill. I've read about many accidents while tree cutting, and if enough information is given, I can see where they went wrong and what error of move caused the accident. However some accidents can't be predicted by any experience, and therefore trust in divine power has to be the first line of safety. Biochar is simple, cutting firewood down to consistent size of not over 4" thick, stacking in wood shed to dry. then burning in an enclosed manner to restrict oxygen. I have a steel tank with lid made into the side that I mounted on steel wheels. Fill it, close the lid, and light a fire underneath to get it started. The whole thing will rotate to put the openings at the bottom, so the wood gas starts escaping and catches fire finishes heating it. Old method was to pile it up and shovel a layer of dirt over the pile, then light it and let it smolder for days. That's something easier to illustrate since the variables are limited. Every tree that hangs will have a slightly different situation to consider.
Yesterday I had a little time to spare, and a little job to do, so grabbed a shovel and headed up there. Dropped the shorts as soon as I got out of sight of the buildings, dug out a valve off the main water line I'd buried a few years ago, so I'd not loose track of where it was, and because I'm fixin to expand that spot into a garden site and will need the water access. Finally after 3-4 years of work on 30 acres, the track hoe is coming tomorrow. Paid for by the work we made it do, although at our own expense for fuel and repairs. After the deal was well on it's way to finished we realized it wasn't a very good deal, but too deep into it to change anything so we had to see it through to the end. Should have just drove truck, saved money and bought one. But anyway it's done and we're ready to start clearing our own land to put in many garden plots, enough to make up a whole produce farm. And many of them will be isolated enough to work without hindrance of clothing to hold in the heat, and with a few springs across the mountain side, the water can be collected in holding tanks/pools, and routed in pipes to where it's needed. Easily buried with the help of the machine. So irrigation and pools to cool off in will be easy enough.

By the way. Any suggestion on cameras that will take pictures in sequence, like one every few minutes? That would be handy. And not cost very much, since I don't have a lot of money to waste on a non necessity. I wouldn't mind posting some work scenes occasionally. Could set up camera on a tripod and set for a picture every few minutes, and then pick an appropriate one for sharing and delete the rest. Since I hate posed pictures. OK for some situations, but I'm not going to like naked posed pictures of myself at all, since that's too much bordering on "look at me" insinuation. Since to start with I'm more inclined to hide than want to be seen, even clothed. And then I don't want anyone to ever have a thought of, "that's porn" Which a common working situation would help alleviate perhaps. Although I realize some people seem to think every hint of nakedness is porn. That's contrary to the definition of the word from a dictionary, which is: "sexually explicit videos, photographs, writings, or the like, whose purpose is to elicit sexual arousal."
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Thu May 12, 2016 6:43 pm

DaveT wrote:...... By the way. Any suggestion on cameras that will take pictures in sequence, like one every few minutes? That would be handy. And not cost very much
Mine is an Olympus SP-500UZ You have to find a camera store as they won't sell these at any bigbox store I have ever seen, maybe an electronics store. I absolutely refuse to buy any camera that has to have a special brand - propritary camera battery, This one uses AA batteries, recharagable or alkaline. It is old enough that you might find a used one. 6 megapixel which is not that much any more but way more than adequate for images to be posted on line. I have found the Olympus cameras to be more sensible than many other brands, but it has been a few years since I bought this one.

I just wish I had bought a "cable release" so I can set it on a tripod for steadiness and take pictures in ambient light. That would allow me to trip the shutter without disturbing it and bluring the image. For now I put it on a tripod and set the time delay, press the shutter and wait 10 seconds. :roll:

I think this can be described as an entry level semi-professional or professional grade camera, It also does movies. Actually a digital video recorder may have very adequate still photography capability these days.
[/quote]
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism