What have you done "naturally" lately?

This is the place for your stories, testimonials, naturist humor (in good taste), family concerns, and other issues, as you help each other understand God's will for you.<P>Only Residents and higher may post here.

Moderators: jochanaan, MatthewNeal, jimmy, natman, Senior Moderator, Moderators

What have you done "naturally" lately?

Postby natman » Mon May 22, 2017 10:47 am

This is an area for our members to discuss things they do "naturally" (the way God made them) recently. This could include regular house chores, gardening, relaxing etc., siting the pluses and the minuses (think, frying bacon).
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

Get exposed to the sun, and get exposed to the Son.
natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Re: What have you done "naturally" lately?

Postby natman » Mon May 22, 2017 11:25 am

Since I started this thread, I thought I would throw in the first post.

About two years ago, we had a floating wood floor installed in several areas of our house. About six months ago, we noticed that one of the planks in the middle of one of the areas was becoming discolored. We suspected that some water had been spilled and had gotten trapped below the floor. As time went on, the discoloration traveled to two other boards along the same line. Saturday, we decided to remove the boards to find out what was going on. What we found was that water had gotten into the fabric padding between the floor and the wood. Most of the padding is covered with plastic, but the edges are exposed about a half-inch on each side. It was along that exposed area that the floor was discoloring. The water had wicked over a major portion of the area, going a third of the way across our dining room and a third of the way across our living room, approximately 400 square feet. The more we peeled up, the more we found water.

We suspect that our Reverse Osmosis system had a clog in the purge circuit and that it had leaked water down and under the wall between the kitchen and the dining area. We suspect this may have been happening for almost a year, as it is also tied to our refrigerator ice maker. We were having problems with the ice maker not producing ice, and a couple of weeks ago, my wife tried to clear a kitchen sink clog. That is when she noticed water coming out of the RO purge valve running down under the sink. I took an air hose and blew through the RO purge outlet, which apparently cleared the line. Since then, the ice maker has worked flawlessly.

We spent all day Saturday lifting wood flooring, removing wet padding, then replacing wood flooring. This involved a lot of cutting, setting, and puzzling the click and lock panels back into place. We removed and replaced any that we found that had signs of water damage (fortunately, we had purchased a couple extra boxes... just in case). The process continued for half of Sunday (meaning that we missed church :( ). We were able to fit all the pieces up under the baseboards as originally installed, without having to remove any baseboards and repainting any walls. At this point, everything is back to normal except a couple of transition pieces that need to be re-glued down.

As is usually the case, I was able to do all of the work "comfortably" as God made me, which is how I remained the entire weekend, except for about 30 minutes when I had to run to the hardware store for some wood glue needed to hold the final piece in place.

Initially, I was regretting putting in a floating wood floor. However, if it had been carpet or glued-down wood flooring, the damage would have been more severe, costly and the repair more time consuming and labor intensive. That we were able to get it repaired ourselves in about 14 hours is amazing.

Woke up this morning, a bit sore from the weekend, had my coffee, read the news, then read a couple Bible studies, checked out the garden, all "naturally" before having to shower and get dressed (my least favorite activity) for work.
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon May 22, 2017 11:48 am

This occurred and was written on May 10th and intended for the What Have you Done Naked Today strip but since the NC server was down I think it fits easily as well here. .

Today I got busy on the south side of the garden I had to get the winter squash planted, and was planting the Waltham Butternut variety which does very well here. I had tilled the parts of the garden I could get to a few days ago and the north side I had just finished planting the other day Well actually I had only planted most of that but finished up with planting the steel fence posts where my wife will plant her tomatos so that cluster of 8 posts seen in some of the images are those posts plus there is a white post at each corner of the 30x30 garden plot.
Frames_1-4-s.JPG
Click for higher resolution

So then in the above image the frames are;
1.--Laying out the string between the pre-positioned red white and blue garden stakes
to establish the rows
2.--Placing the seeds
3.--watering the seeds After the first two rows I figured out that it was easier to water first and then poke the seeds into the wet spots.
4.--This image is just a gentle reminder that when using a camera on time lapse to take pictures throughout the process, that the camera may catch the subject from less than the most appropriate camera angle, and thereby make the strategic placement of an emoticom a courtesy for sensitive viewers.

The Image below documents the remediation of a problem that was not forseen but perhaps should have been. Most of the garden had been laid out so that the later plantings are toward the east side (low side) of the garden and the early plantings on the west side (high side) of the garden. Enough time lapses between the early plantings and the later ones that the lapses are long enough that weeds will sprout before all the planting is finished. So long as I can get my tractor mounted tiller in and out I can re-till to wipe out the newly sprouted weeds.

However I use a trenching strategy for my tuberous plants (potatoes and sweet potatoes). The trenches allow me to water those crops with an open hose for fast watering, and at havest time the trenches facilitate getting the shovel or spading fork in under the tubers to avoid damage. Potatoes go in early and sweet potatoes AFTER ALL DANGER OF FROST !!! I had forgotten about the weed sprouts issue. So I prepared the trenches for both of those crops at the same time. There is yet a week to go before I can plant the sweet potatoes. and most of a month has passed since the potatoes went in.
Weed_Burn-s.jpg

5.-- this frame shows the layout of the trench system and clearly the two rows of potatoes are up and growing. Digging a trench I make a berm on either side and the two trenches on the viewers right have 4 berms where the sweet potatoes will go next week.
6.-- this frame shows the problem! There are thousands of weed sprouts on the sides of the trenches and trying to eliminate them by cultivating will destroy the trenches I have so carefully built. Hand pulling that many tiny weeds is not practical.
7.-- Shows my Weapon of Mass Weed Destruction ! It is a super size propane torch powered by a 20 lb bottle of propane and mounted on a two wheel hand truck. The unplanted trenches were easy as there were no garden plants there yet. The torch head is about 2.5 inches in diameter and throws a fearsome flame, but only when the valve handle is squeezed. The rest of the time the pilot flame stays inside the torch head. But the main burner flame extends a foot or so and projects its heat even further. Needless to say the elimination of those invading weeds is swiftly executed. Where there are desirable plants considerable care is needed. So after practicing on the two unplanted trench systems I went after the remaining trench and there the potatoes were up. I seem to have executed the operation with no apparent collateral damage.
8.& 9.-- these frames show the technique. The main flame comes out of the "can" and does not flare to the side very much if at all. It is easily directed straight along the bottom of the trench but the sides of the trench are also easily torched because so long as the mouth of the "can" is below the rim of the trench the flame does not rise above the rim and then it flares out along the bottom of the trench.

A careful observer may note that I sort of cheated with frame 5 of this image. I had neglected to take a before picture so that is really an after picture and if one notes the coloration of the top of the soil berms they are a bit on the dark side for the 4 unplanted berms where the sweet potatoes will go next week. Their darkened color attests to the fact that this was literally a "Scorched Earth" operation against the weeds. (and I only had to use water to extinguish the ignited wood chip mulch at the ends of two of the trenches).
Last edited by Bare_Truth on Mon May 22, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I never met anyone that I could not learn something from.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby natman » Mon May 22, 2017 12:45 pm

Perhaps some people shouldn't play with fire1 :P
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Bare_Truth » Mon May 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Now that the garden is completely planted and the weather continues to warm. I have turned my attention to a project whose timing is controlled by the weather, (meaning I sort of have to do it now). My pond has finally recovered from the severe damage caused by the sink hole 14 months ago, (March 2016) After the repair by packing the hole and building a peninsula on top of it, I was dismayed at the slow recovery of the pond because 2016 was a dry spring/summer relatively and while there was some recovery the pond was still about 4 feet low and I had to use a pump in the pond to aerate it to prevent a fish kill. Finally this spring the rains came and the pond filled backup in about a week, (Yeah they came and came and came, and now we have lots of mosquitoes and still more rain forecast. As the many inches of rain result in lots of runoff the pond is now 4 feet deeper and about where it ought to be. But the project that I speak of is to eliminate the largest loss of water which occurs in the summer. The prevailing hot wind from the west blows across the pond warming and evaporating it. This reduces the water level, reduces the oxygen content of the water, and promotes algae bloom (the bloom is also reduced by the pump). My solution is to build the largest bamboo grove I have attempted to plant yet. I have planted several groves of bamboo along the road and elsewhere to give me privacy, a screen against dust from the gravel road and for just landscaping purposes. But this is the time of the year when the groves try to expand by putting up shoots around the edges of the grove. If I did not want them I could simply mow them with the lawn mower (you have to leave enough room for the mower to use that method). But I am planting a new grove two rows thick for 100 feet along the west side of the pond. That will average one new stalk every 1-1.5 feet or somewhere around 150 to 200 plants The plants are best harvested for transplant at 6 to 10 feet tall with a root ball weighing about 70 lbs (up to 100 lbs for multiple stalks). I have enough groves to supply my needs fortunately. As it is hot humid and sunny at this time of year this is a great nude activity (assuming that you have a good mosquito repellent).

So far I estimate I have moved about 2200 lbs of plants over about 3 days. Moving and planting are the easy part, digging them up requires significant effort. The process looks something like this:
First_Load-s.JPG
Click for larger image of higher resolution

That is the first load of bamboo headed for the new location. Because I am harvesting from the groves in the lawn, the law tractor has tires and a weight that will not tear up the lawn. There are about 7 root balls on that sledge so that is about a 500 lb load, As the sledge is only 2 inches thick, it is a lot easier to load it, but it is a good testimony for the lawn tractor to be able to draw that load, albeit damp grass is a reasonably slippery surface so it helps to make the sledge easy to move but sort of cuts into the traction for the tractor.

After hauling to its new home and getting it planted the first load looks like this.
First_Load_Planted.JPG
Click for larger image of higher resolution

A simple count shows that the seven root balls have given me 5 bamboo culms (stalks) and a start on getting the grove. A few days later, (including some rest days as I recover from the labor), I have about 100 feet of row and 31 root balls and 2200 lbs in the new grove.
It is plausible that I could finish in a few days, depending on how much rock I encounter as I move to harvesting from different groves, (so far I have only been harvesting from my largest grove.

The best part is that so far I have been able to do this task naked while enjoying light breezes and warm sunshine :D ,(and not too many mosquitoes :cry: )
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:10 pm

I've honestly done nothing nearly so ambitious nor labor intensive but do enjoy my mornings at the computer clothes-free before "work." (I've shown up to collect a check for the last 23+ years but today's the last I'll have to do so). Yeah, today's the last one.

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby Normski » Mon May 22, 2017 2:11 pm

We have today arrived home from our holiday which was spent on a farm where the owner had "diversified" and converted some of his farm buildings into 5 cottages and 2 apartments all self catering. On site there is an indoor swimming pool and a hot tub and footpaths in the wooded areas and around the fields of the farm. On Saturday nights during the summer the owners provide a BBQ. We have been going to this place since 2008. The beauty of it is - that it is naturist. We were there 10 days and during the time we were there I only put some clothes on for a total of about 8 hours when I had to take trips away. Whilst some of the ladies chose to be clothed at the BBQ, I and some of the other gents were naked.
Normski
Resident

Postby natman » Mon May 22, 2017 2:38 pm

Normski, it sounds lovely. Are you allowed to divulge the name of this "farm" and whether it is available for other naturists and perhaps their families?
SON-cerely,
Nathan Powers

natman
Mayor (Site Admin)

Postby Normski » Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Yes it is Pevors Farm in Essex England. Owned and run by Naturists for Naturists.

http://www.pevorsfarm.co.uk/

We will be going to another naturist place in August in Devon, England

http://www.acornsindevon.co.uk/
Normski
Resident

Postby webmeister » Mon May 22, 2017 11:35 pm

JimShedd112 wrote:I've honestly done nothing nearly so ambitious nor labor intensive but do enjoy my mornings at the computer clothes-free before "work." (I've shown up to collect a check for the last 23+ years but today's the last I'll have to do so). Yeah, today's the last one.

Jim

Hey Jim after 23 years now they will go to the bank or mailbox :D Good work!
Live - Love - Laugh
Have Fun!
webmeister
Native Resident

Postby JimShedd112 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:35 am

Mine always did, beginning in the Air Force before I retired. I love direct deposit. But, I still had to show up to clock in/out. LOL

Jim
Jim Shedd
NudistGrandpa
JimShedd112
Native Resident

Postby DaveT » Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 pm

Been gardening and working the woods void of fabric almost every day lately, sometimes all day, sometimes partial days. Was up there awhile today making "roads" through the woods with the track hoe for tractor and pickup, to pull logs out and get firewood, eventually to clear the area for my farm activity. Then made a barrel of charcoal for biochar. The simple way I discovered works quite well. Split up dry wood to not over 2 inches thick, (or a bit more is passable) pack a barrel full, it's an open top barrel with a whole bunch of holes drilled in the bottom, set the barrel up on 3 small rocks to let air get in the holes and light a fire on top the load. It burns down turning the whole load into charcoal. When done I dump the whole thing over, spread it out and quench it thoroughly with water. A garden hoe and the water hose needs to be handy. Have to stop it at the right point when it's all turned to charcoal but not started turning to ash yet. Not long enough and there will be hard wood left, too long and it will start turning to ash. A little experimenting will tell ya when to dump it. What's not finished can be thrown back in the barrel and let burn longer. welding gloves come in handy there, or a shovel might be better. I will pulverize it with the troybuilt hammer mill, (chipper shredder attachment on the troybuilt tiller) add it to the soil along with compost, and some extra nitrogen for it to soak up. Charcoal acts as a storage unit for soil nutrients and minerals preventing leaching, a housing complex for the beneficial soil microbes, and will not oxidize in hotter climates like compost carbon will.
DaveT
Native Resident

Postby Jim » Wed May 24, 2017 7:24 am

DaveT wrote: I will pulverize it with the troybuilt hammer mill, (chipper shredder attachment on the troybuilt tiller) add it to the soil along with compost, and some extra nitrogen for it to soak up. Charcoal acts as a storage unit for soil nutrients and minerals preventing leaching, a housing complex for the beneficial soil microbes, and will not oxidize in hotter climates like compost carbon will.

I'd recommend a multi-year controlled experiment. Treat two areas nearby the same, except for one with charcoal, and one without. Record any differences or lack of such.
Jim
Native Resident

Postby Normski » Wed May 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Part of the time I have been working naked in my study and I have also been relaxing in our conservatory
Normski
Resident

Postby Bare_Truth » Sun May 28, 2017 9:49 pm

10 posts up back on May 22, I posted about starting a new bamboo grove to serve as a wind break for my pond. I am still following up a few details on that. I now have a double row grove started.
Grove_Length.JPG
Click for better resolution and detail

The grove is double row and the front row is smaller plants as the taller ones do not have much foliage down low and this will help get a little more wind resistance in the early stages.The grove is 75 feet long and it has taken me about a week to get it this far along. Almost all the work has been done nude. Today I went out and mulched if from a very large pile of grass I had stockpiled last fall. In a few years this grove should be about 25 feet tall and about 20 feet thick and a substantial wind break. For the present the root balls have not yet rooted and if I get a strong wind I have to go out and stand some of them back up. As the cut grass mulch gets mixed into the soil it should stiffen up the soil so I do not have so much trouble with them getting blown over. This project had occupied me for about 4 of the last 8 days about 8 hours each day I worked on it. Heavy rains kept me indoors some of those days and allowed my back to recover. Some of those root balls weigh in at around 70 lbs and my back is 71 years old. There are 58 root balls in the grove as shown and 101 culms (stalks) the total weight of plants moved is probably around 2500 - 3000 lbs. By next year I expect I will be getting useful service out of this wind break and maybe even some small amount this year. About 95% of the work I have been starkers. Well ok I wore work boots, but my bare feet are not yet tough enough to drive a spade into hard ground. :shock:

Anyway, barring any disasters the grove should not require much further attention other than a bit of watering this first summer. It has been a good spring time landscaping project.
Bare_Truth
Native Resident

Next

Return to General conversation about nudism / naturism